A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, October 25, 2018

Something I never do: Run on the AT after work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... 99.99999% of the time, I run before work. The reasons are abundant...

1. I wake up early anyway.
2. It helps me regulate my eating.
3. It regulates my bowls.
4. I get some "me" time before I have to give everything I have all day long.
5. It relaxes me before work.
6. I am tired after work.
7. I don't have time after work.

But yesterday was my first Wednesday in a long time without PT, so I decided to take advantage of the daylight, the beautiful fall weather, and log some miles on the AT. This is something I never do. And you know me, I am such a creature of habit. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong by not driving to PT or straight home after work!

I parked at Sherwood and started my run going North. This section of the trail was SUPER muddy the last time I was there, but not today. For a little over a mile, the AT winds along the Conodoguinet Creek before getting to Scott's Farm, which is an AT Trailwork Center.




Then I crossed the creek via the road and hopped back on the AT. There are some boardwalks at this section because it can get pretty wet. The trail goes between the road and the creek and it gets a little rocky. That's okay, I'm good at tippy toeing over rocks.


After about a half mile, the trail goes through some fields. In the summer, I hate fields because the sun beats down, the grass is high (snakes) and I get itchy. But today, the fields were fine. In fact, it was beautiful!





Sometimes it's hard to find the trail in the field, but the posts with white blazes are plentiful. It's almost impossible to get lost on the AT. At least in my opinion.


 After about a mile of fields and then crossing a bridge that goes over Interstate 81, the trail goes back into the woods. I wasn't sure how far I would go into the woods because it makes me nervous not to be close to a road. (The next road I'd pass would be in nearly two miles.) But I passed a couple of men who were hiking, so I felt better that I wasn't all alone out there. (They weren't just rando hikers. They had big expensive packs, sticks, boots... they weren't out there to murder me.)



This section was a bit rocky, but I was wondering... why the sign!? Who put it there!? And why!?



At one point, the trail crosses the PA Turnpike via a bridge.




Eventually I got to one of my favorite parts of the trail. This section gets so green and looks magical. You may recognize it, as it's where one of the pictures at the top of my blog was taken.



After I clocked four miles, I turned around and ran back to my car. On maybe way back, I saw 8 deer total! They were all within the last 3/4 of a mile of my run and they were so beautiful!
Do you like to run in the morning or after work?
When is the last time you changed up your routine?

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! It was such a good idea to do something fun like that on your newly free
    Wednesday, like a mini celebration.

    I've had such bad luck running after work... I need an empty stomach. I have coffee before I run if it's a weekend, but that is it.

    I changed up my routine today by going to CrossFit two days in a row!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Was it hard to do two days in a row? Do they recommend that?

      Delete
    2. It was hard for me because I'm not used to it but a LOT of people go multiple days in a row.

      Delete
  2. How fun! I love my afternoon runs. I had an awesome trail run on Monday where it finally felt like Fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you love your afternoon runs, particularly in the fall. I may have to do this more often.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't sleep last night and thought of you! I was like Megan would just get up right now and do something instead of wasting time in bed thinking about how much she needs to get back to sleep. I just kept laying there though willing sleep to come. Most nights I fall asleep super fast but I work the last couple weeks has been so busy I think at night my brain is still just whirling with to-dos!

    I did fall asleep at one point but Adam woke me up yelling. Every once in a while he has nightmares and starts yelling in his sleep. Usually it only happens on vacation so it was weird it happened at home. I never wake him up when he's yelling, do you think I should? He never remembers what the nightmare is that makes him yell, so I'm afraid he might be dreaming of being attacked and if I try to wake him he might accidentally attack me. He said he would never but I'm like, you aren't conscious you don't know what you might do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like he has night terrors! Paul's brothers and father had night terrors and he says he thinks you ARE supposed to wake someone up. I would shit the bed if I got woken up by someone screaming!

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful!! The only workout I can do at the end of the day is swim. I really just enjoy first thing in the morning and my life is so conducive to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you always save swim for pm or is that just the only one you would ever do then if you had to pick one type of workout?

      Delete
    2. No, I swim at 5:30 am which is late for me -- that's when the rec center opens (normally I am out the door by 4:30 am). But if I had to workout at the end of the day I could swim (I could probably bike, too, if the weather was nice). Running at the end of the day feels awful to me!

      Delete
    3. It usually doesn't feel good for me but I am faster. I don't feel faster... and to me it's all about feel. Running is supposed to make me feel good.

      Delete
  5. I used to be an evening runner through and through and last year decided to switch to morning workouts to have more time with J in the evenings. I must say, I enjoy working out in the morning now, but I also will still sometimes run in the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are one of the few people I know who can do it at either time of the day! I feel like most people have their hardcore preferences.

      Delete