A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

I can do jump squats! And lots of other things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... I have been lifting 2-3 times a week consistently for the past 5 years. At first I always went to Planet Fitness, but then a couple years ago I got myself some "big girl weights" and I was able to lift at home too.

My lifting has evolved... At first, I did whole body workouts. Then I broke it up into different days- legs, back, chest. Then my ITB and knee started bothering me so I totally phased out legs accept for things I could do on the floor- like glute bridges, fire hydrants, and donkey kicks.

I missed squatting, lunging, kettle bell swings, and leg press. I missed them A LOT. Two years ago, when I was in PT for some numbness in my leg, my PT told me he'd get me squatting and lunging again. We tried it and I got that same pulsating feeling I always got when I tried to squat and lunge. I was devastated and mad that my PT got my hopes up and then he just shrugged it off when he couldn't help me. (He did help me with my nerve, which was my initial reason for going to PT.)

Fast forward to now. I'm almost done with PT. I have been seeing a new therapist for my lower back pain. The exercises have really been helping me, as well as the insight he gave me into my body and what's wrong with it. (Anterior pelvic tilt, tight hip flexors, very minor scoliosis and very minor uneven hips.) If you don't know what's wrong, you can't fix it. I feel like I know how I can fix and manage my back pain and I am finally seeing some relief!

And even better news... he has me doing squat jumps and split squats and it doesn't hurt my knee! Don't worry, I am easing into them. But so far, I have done them a couple times at PT and a couple times on my own at the gym and I have had no problems. Normally, I would feel my knee/ITB the very first time I attempt something like that.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I will be able to do these lower body exercises long term! There are some other difficult things he has me do like dead lifts, thrusters, and planks on one arm and one leg.

Adding these lower body exercises into my lifting routine is so FUN and I feel like myself again!

My mornings at the gym just keep getting better and better.


What are your favorite lower body exercises?
Have you ever had a good experience in PT?

10 comments:

  1. This is awesome! So glad you are seeing results and enjoying your time at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such good news because I know you had given up on it. I know when my hips get super tight my IT band pulses without me even doing anything. Like I can be sitting on the couch and feel it. That's when I know I have to up my hip opening routine to multiple times per day! When I was running 40+ mpw, which I know isn't a ton in the grand scheme of things but is more than average for me, I was doing my hip openers like three times a day!

    Are you just doing squats at PT now or are you working them into your routine at the gym too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hip flexors are so tight I am supposed to stretch them multiple times a day. The thing is, they never feel tight to me, but apparently they are tight! I do the squats about 2-3 times a week, so sometimes at PT and sometimes not. It is NOT an every day thing.

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Megan! I am so proud of you -- you have worked so hard and you deserve this wonderful progress. PT has helped me a lot! I like my lower body PT/strength work -- air squats, lunges, step ups and some work with the bands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh step ups. I forgot about those! I should add them to my deck of cards workouts.

      Delete
  4. That's huge! I felt so accomplished when I advanced to jump squats! I need to get back to weights now that training season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good squat session. It makes you feel strong! :)

    Haven't had any experience with PT sessions luckily.

    ReplyDelete