A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, October 5, 2018

5 Things I Learned at PT (Friday 5)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Due to lower back pain that started creeping in during my runs this past summer and the constant lower back pain I experienced when I went back to work in late August, I finally decided to see a physical therapist.

I have had good and bad experiences with physical therapy... mostly bad. Whenever I have a new problem that I think a PT can help, I look for someone new because I am never satisfied with who I worked with in the past.

But right now, I am extremely happy with my PT. He is a runner. He is extremely knowledgeable. I learn something new every time I am there, and so far, it is very much worth the $30 copay each session.


Today, I will share with you 5 things I learned at PT. And I have only had 3 sessions!

1. My glutes do NOT activate. It's bad. It's one of the reasons I can't squat/lunge without pain. My PT thinks he can get my squatting and lunging. Yes, I've been promised this before by PTs... but I believe this guy. The good news is, after doing the exercises for a week, my glutes have really started to activate better. Now, I just have to KEEP them activated. It's crazy. How do you make a muscle do something without even thinking about it? It's fascinating...

2. I have lordosis, otherwise known as anterior pelvic tilt, otherwise known as my spine is curved and I stick my butt out. This is the cause of my lower back pain. My PT thinks if I can fix it by 5-10 degrees, it will be the difference between back pain/no back pain.

3. My hip flexors are tight... again, due to the anterior pelvic tilt. I am basically supposed to stretch my hip flexors all the time. Free moment? Time to stretch the hip flexors!!!! 

4. My lower abdominals are weak... due to the anterior pelvic tilt. I am doing many exercises to engage those muscles... including planks. Did you ever do a plank and REALLY engage those lower abs!? It's HARD! No more 2 minute planks for me. I am down to 20 seconds with engaged lower abs.

5. I need to focus on the QUALITY of my exercises... not the quantity. Everything must be done slowly and purposefully so I can make sure I'm engaging my lower abs and making sure my glutes are activated so my back, hips, and IT band don't  compensate. This is HUGE and I am really reevaluating what I need to just take out of my workouts entirely and what I need to replace those exercises/stretches with. 


There is so much to think about. I really needed this... A knowledgeable professional who will get MY unique body being able to perform the best it can.


I have a lot of exercises... it takes about 40 minutes to do all of them. But I am motivated to do them everyday because my PT has explained exactly why I do each one and why it will help me!

Have you ever had a good PT experience?
Are there any maintenance exercises or stretches you do every day?

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad this is a positive experience for you. My first PT experience did not go well, ( he told me I was too old to be running), but when I went to a different PT I just loved it. My dad actually goes to my PT now and he likes it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg that PT sounds TERRIBLE. I mean, it's called PHYSICAL therapy, not YOU'RE TOO OLD TO RUN therapy! I'm glad you found a better PT.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, PT joy! I'm glad that you have found someone you like working with. My last PT lady was great to work with. A $30 co pay is a great too! I have totally slacked on my PT exercises because I used to do them while I watched TV every night... but with the busy school schedule and coaching, we haven't been watching TV as a family anymore :( so no exercises. I know, lame excuse, but that was when I did them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought a $30 copay was a lot because back when I first started teaching my copay was only $10!!! Now that was 14 years ago but it's still quite the jump. But from listening to everyone's comments, $30 copay isn't bad compared to others. I am just thankful I can AFFORD the copay and I am so thankful to have health insurance.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I think I have this a little bit. It doesn't hurt, but there are times where my lower back gets tight. I also have tight hip flexors, and I've been working on my low core for a while now. I think that's why trainers always say have a neutral spine when doing core stuff on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your issues are the exact issues that I have to! I am so happy it is helping you, Megan! Great news, girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay we are twins!!! I wish we had something else in common... ;)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great PT. Would love to know your glute activation exercises. It’s an issue for me too. I feel like I could be in PT all the time — there’s always something to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that. I will do a post on my exercises soon!

      Delete
  6. I actually have never been on the whole 5 minute plank train for that very reason -- not that I think even a 5 minute bad plank is easy, LOL!

    I actually wish I could go to PT all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to have one on one care! My longest plank was 4 min. It was hard. But I was sooooooo angry and it was better than punching someone!

      Delete