A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The search for running tights...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I currently have 3 pairs of pants 
to choose from when I run:

1. My Reebok running tights. These are thick and warm. I bought them about 10 years ago. They were $50 and that was a lot of money to me back then. However, they have held up well. I wear them almost every day in the winter. They are perfect for 15-40 degrees.



2. These thin C9 (Target) running tights. They are useless. Not only are they uncomfortable, but they are so thin that I may as well be wearing shorts. I don't know why I still have these. I wear them like three times a year, and every time I wear them, I am reminded of how bad they suck.


3. My lined Adidas swoosh pants. These were hand me downs I was given in college. A friend of mine was a cheerleader and these were the swoosh pants they would wear to football games when it was cold out. I wear these pants over my Reebok tights when it is below 15 degrees. They are not fashionable and I feel like I have on an extra 10lbs when I wear them, but they are warm.




This winter, it finally dawned on me that I should invest in a couple more pairs of warm running tights. If I could go back in time and buy 3 more pairs of the Reebok tights, I most certainly would.

The first place I headed in my search for tights was Dick's. I was severely disappointed. They didn't have a huge selection of pants, and the ones they did have were very thin. I did find a couple thick, lined pairs that were reasonably priced ($30) but when I got them into the dressing room, I discovered there was mesh on the calves. Why would they put mesh on THICK, LINED running tights? Clearly whoever wants tights like these wants to be warm, right?



Even though I personally thought the tights were ugly, I would have bought 3 pair since they were so comfy and warm... besides the mesh.

Here's another example of the type of mesh the pants at Dick's had:


Many friends recommended stores like TJ Maxx and Marshall's. I tried both places. I thought I hit the jackpot with a black pair, but when I got them into the dressing room, I realized I had been tricked...

FREAKING MESH!!!

Here are two ugly pairs that were warm but they were not comfortable. I simply have to be comfortable when I run. I don't care if my clothes are ugly or I don't match, but I have to be comfortable.



Lisa @ Tech Chick Adventures sent me a link to a simlar pair of fleece lined Athleta tights she wears. I normally don't buy clothes online because I have to try them on, but since there were free returns, I bought two pairs.


On Monday morning, when my tights still hadn't arrived, I checked the package tracking online. It said they had been delivered on Saturday and were in my mailbox! I guess we didn't check the mail over the weekend. I wanted to go right outside and get the pants, but I didn't want to wake Paul up with the front door. (I got up super early... no sleep for this chicky.) I could have gone out the side door, but I was too afraid. It was like 3:30am!

When Paul got up to go to the bathroom around 4:30, I went out the front door to get the package. When I got the tights out, I was impressed with how thick they were. Maybe fleece lined it the way to go!?

I tried them on, and unfortunately I had the same problem I usually have with pants. I got a medium, which was the perfect size for my thighs and butt, but there was some excess material around my waist which made the pants sag at the crotch. My butt/thighs need a medium but my waist needs a small.

Sigh.

So I will be returning the pants. But holy hell they were WARM. Now I know that I need to be looking for fleece lined pants!

If you have any ideas for me, leave them in comments!

16 comments:

  1. May winter tights are from EMS, pricey, but worth the money. They are fleece lined. Maybe they would be on sale this time of year??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, heading to their website now!

      Delete
    2. I just ordered two pairs! They were on sale. Polartec. Said they are very warm. I hope they are comfy when I try them on! If not I will return. Thanks for the tip, they had many to choose from.

      Delete
  2. That is really bizarre that lined pants would have mesh cutouts. I wear those mesh cutout tights here when it's like 60-75 degrees out, I can't imagine trying to run in them in your winter weather!

    I hope you can find some warm tights you like! I heard you guys might get some more cold weather this week right? When our weather dips into the 70s during the day it usually means northern states are getting very cold. Although today the high is 89 omg. It can't be this hot already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in PA, it is common for the temps to be in the 20s-30s well into March. Obviously we have several days in the 40s and 50s here or there, but for the most part it is still cold! Yesterday it was in the 50s as the high and now we are on a winter storm warning! 6-10 inches predicted this afternoon into tomorrow evening!

      The mesh seems like much more of a thing for athleisure purposes or like yoga or lifting at the gym. Not running out in the actual "elements". I am looking at EMS as Cheryl recommended and there are so many pants! I think I will be able to find something as long as they have free returns!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha I think you might be right because I am wearing a pair of the mesh cutout tights right now just to sit at my desk!

      Delete
  3. I've been where you are where I think the price of something is expensive (so I only buy one) but then after seeing how well I like the item or how much use I get out of it, I would gladly pay double to have it again but to only find out I can no longer find it!

    I had a black pair of those lines "swoosh" pants, although I didn't know they were called that, and I absolutely loved them and wore them all the time until I realized they were out of style..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think they are out of style, even if they don't have a tapered leg like mine do! Maybe just people in my area call them swoosh pants, I dunno? HEY random... remember when UMBRO shorts were in style?

      Delete
    2. OMG yes! I remember I bought my first pairs of Umbros in ocean city when we went there with our middle school youth group...haha I was never a soccer player so I don't know why I thought they were so cool!

      Delete
  4. I don't wear full pants to run EVER because it just doesn't get cold enough often enough here, but the ambassadors in cold climates love the Toasty Tights from Skirt Sports. They are pricy, but there are sales and you can use my discount code (456abkruns).

    The Go Longer tights might be good too, but I don't know if they are WARM.

    https://www.skirtsports.com/product-category/bottoms/tights-and-pants/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Go the Distance" not "Go Longer" lol :)

      Delete
    2. That's what she said.

      LOL sorry I had to.

      Thanks for the rec! I ordered to pairs from EMS and if they don't work I will try the toasty tights.

      Delete
  5. I would guess it's really hard to find tights now. My only suggestion would be to check out Fleet Feet, they had some... but I think they were pricey.

    I like those leggings with the mesh look, but only on others. I know running on those would not work for me.

    I would also suggest to try the Reebok outlet in Hershey, I found long leggings there before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the outlets. Very good idea. They may have leggings on sale now.

      I just bought to pairs from EMS that were $62 but if they are not comfy I will return them. I know 62 is a lot BUT if they are warm and comfy, that will be priceless! I so wish I could by my reebock ones again...

      Delete
  6. Told ya - toasty!!!! That's too bad they don't fit right. You should have at least one pair of fleece lined tights for sure. Another good place to look is RunningWarehouse.com . Free shipping and free returns there too. I really like that website. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love runningwarehouse! I get my shoes there but never thought to look for pants. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete