A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Running in my old stompin' grounds...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... On Sunday, I was hoping to do a medium distance run at my old stompin' grounds in Upper Allen Township. There are some beautiful back roads that I used to run with the Crispy Balance Running Club. Great conversations were had and great friends were made on these roads! I was hoping to do this run in the blazing sun, but I woke up to a rainy, dreary day in the mid 60s. I didn't let the weather stop me. I was RUNNING!

However, the weather did stop me from taking pictures. But don't worry, I'm going to run this route again when the weather is nice because it is just too beautiful not to share it with you!

Today instead of pictures, you get words. That's okay, it's a blog, right!?

I parked along the Yellow Breeches on McCormick between Ford Farm and Arcona. The water was high and there were fisherman and kayaks in the creek. Armed with my phone, ID, credit card, and a true crime podcast, I locked my little red Cobalt and headed east on McCormick toward Arcona. The road was flat and it was a nice warm up for the hills.

I turned left and headed up Arcona. I saw two dear hopping through the woods within the first mile of my run! It made me happy and I wished I lived in an area where I could see deer from my house. After crossing Lisburn Road, Arcona got a little busier with traffic, but luckily I made a left onto Hertzler before it got too annoying.

This part of Hertzler is one way, so there was no one on the road. The trees were green and made sort of a canopy to run through. It was a little creepy because I was listening to a true crime podcast and I felt very isolated on this part of my run. But soon I got to the two way section of Hertzler and there was more traffic, so I didn't feel as isolated. I passed Klinedinst so I could run more of Hertzler (it was so pretty!) but then I turned back and retraced my steps so I could run up Klinedinst Road.

Klinedinst connects Hertzler to Lisburn and it's such a cool road! You're high up, and on one side there is a thick tree line, and on the other side, a large field where you can look out over Cumberland County.

I crossed over Lisburn to Myrtle, which turns into Ford Farm. This neighborhood has HUGE multi million dollar homes. I mean, some of these homes have huge pillars out front, that's how big and fancy they are. I couldn't imagine having enough money to live in one of those places!

As I ran down Ford Farm, I saw a road on the right called Allen Glen Drive. I remembered running on the road before but wasn't sure where it went. I was pretty sure it went back to Lisburn and I was right. This road had many more multi million dollar houses on it. There was lots to see!

For instance, this home on Allen Glen which is only selling for 1.2 million dollars!



Or this one on Hertzler, which is only 950,000!



I'd rather live in the one on Allen Glen. Paul and I used a mortgage calculator and figured out that with the amount of money we have for a down payment, our mortgage would only be $10,000 a month. Paul says, "We just need to find 27 roommates."

By this point I was absolutely soaked through from the rain, but I didn't care. For the first time in a long time, I felt strong while I was running. Nothing was hurting or aching. The air had the yummy rainy summery smell. I felt ALIVE and HAPPY. I just love running so much.

When I got to Lisburn, I only had to run on it for less than a quarter of a mile before turning left onto McCormick and running back to my car. I ran u Ford Farm a little ways to add some distance and make it an even eight miles.

I finished feeling strong, happy, and accomplished. I can't wait to run this route again and take some pictures for you!



Do you mind running in the rain?

Are there any multi million dollar homes on your running routes?

Local Peeps: Have you run these roads?

10 comments:

  1. I love the house pic you did get... wow. We do have multi-million dollar homes on our downtown routes. One day, my friend Steve and I were running and someone was taking a pic, so we stopped and offered to take it for them (they were a tourist visiting Charleston). Steve casually mentioned that he lives here, and the guy asked, "Which one of these houses is yours?". It was hilarious (we all live off the peninsula, away from downtown, and in the suburbs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny! It would be awesome to be super rich and to live in such beautiful houses.

      Delete
  2. Girl, I just found out that one of the homes I used to run by is selling for 40 million dollars. Needless to say Adam and I did not get out the mortgage calculator on that one! We think we know who is selling it; there's a player for the Dolphins that bought a huge mansion when he got signed a few years ago and he was traded to a different team this offseason.

    In south florida we generally know when a big new player is getting signed before it's announced because a super expensive house like that will be sold. I remember before LeBron signed here in 2010 all the papers reported on the fact that someone bought a multi-million dollar house on Star Island and everyone was like, "well only Lebron could afford that so we got him!" And it turned out to be right haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool you can tell who is signing by who is buying certain real estate! I think the huge houses on my route are probably owned by doctors and CEOs. Not sure who else in Central PA would be able to afford them. We don't have pro athletes living in the area... that I know of!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like such a lovely route! I like running routes like that due to less traffic but than on the other hand it is nice to not feel so isolated for a long period of time. This route sounds like it is a good mix of both. Looking forward to your next run here with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran the route again today and took lots of pics! Can't wait to share. The isolated road seemed less isolated in the sunshine.

      Delete
  4. I grew up in Wellesley, MA, and there are multi-million dollar homes in certain areas. there was this one called a McMansion, and the town passed an ordinance that would stop those big homes from being built.

    ReplyDelete

  5. These houses are gorgeous... and so expensive *gasp* who can afford this?

    I run through a pretty expensive area of town (but then again, California is much more expensive as is)... around the corner from us, they're building 'Brownstones'that cost up to $750,000 and they don't have any land attached or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is just insane. It is interesting how real estate is more expensive depending on what state you are in. Like the 1.2 million dollar place on my running route? Probably would cost 10x that (OR MORE!!!) in Cali!

      Delete