I have wonderful childhood memories. One thing I remember about my dad is that he always played with us. A lot of times, he made up games- and they were the best! Here are some of the games my dad made up and played with us:
1. Don't Get On My Back While I'm Sleeping. This is basically exactly what it says it is. Dad would lay on the floor in the middle of the room and we'd sit on the couch. He would say very seriously, "Okay, I am going to lay over here and take a nap. But whatever you do, don't get on my back while I'm sleeping." Then he would make a big production about laying down and falling asleep. That would be our cue to tip toe over to our dad. Usually he would "wake up" before we got on his back and he'd chase us back to the couch. THIS WAS THE MOST AWESOME GAME IN THE WORLD!!!!!
2. Jungle Gym. We basically just got to climb all over him like a jungle gym.
3. Trump Tower with the Blocks. We had these awesome wooden blocks and my dad would help us construct a huge tower with them called Trump Tower. I did not know who Trump was when we were doing this.
4. Magic Carpet Ride. For this game, my dad held me chest height (I think his arms were under my butt and my body leaned again his chest to keep me up there) and swooped me around the house, pretending I was on a magic carpet. Of course he played Steppenwolf's Magic Carpet Ride while we did this!
5. What Room Are We In? My dad would hold us and we'd close our eyes. Then he'd walk around the house, spin around, pretend to go up and down stairs, and finally when he stopped, we had to guess what room we were in.
6. Hiding Chocolate Morsels. My dad used to hide chocolate morsels around the living room and my brothers and I had to find them. Of course if you found one, you got to eat it!
7. Airplane. Dad would lay on his back with his feet straight up in the air. He would balance us on his feet (we'd be laying on them on our bellies) so it felt like we were flying.
As you can see, my dad was loads of fun! I was lucky to have a dad who played with me! I like seeing my little brother be silly and play with my nieces and nephew. He definitely gets that part of his personality from our dad!
Happy Father's Day, Daddio!
Thanks for being a fun dad!
Growing up, did your dad play any fun games with you?