A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Running in the Heat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Summer is here! That means, before we know it, it's going to get HOT out.

I love running in the scorching sun. It feels so good. But some days in Central PA, the scorch factor is a little too much. It has been known to hover around 100 degrees or even higher from time to time.

Sometimes people ask me, "Do you run in this heat!?"

Here's the answer: If I really feel like running outside, I will do it. But I don't feel like I have to and I don't do it so I can brag and say I'm a bad ass for running in borderline dangerous temps. If I decide to run, it's because I truly feel like running and I take lots of precautions!

The main precaution I take is that I stick very close to my house. I live in a neighborhood where I can weave up and down many different roads yet still never be more than 3/4 of a mile or less from my house. If it's that hot out, I always want to be able to bail if I think it's necessary, and that means not being far from the A/C.

The second precaution I take is that I either have water with me or on my front stoop. If I don't feel like carrying it, I just make it a point to loop by my house during my run so I can stay hydrated.

The third thing I do is take my phone with me in case I need help, but honestly I am never more than a couple blocks from my house so it's unlikely I would need to call someone. Better safe than sorry though.

The main thing for me about running in the heat is to stick close to home and not have any expectations. If my plan is six miles but as the run progresses my body tells me it's not a good idea to go that long, I need to be okay with cutting it short.
How do you stay safe running in the heat?

If you don't like running in the heat, what temp level or humidity level is a deal breaker for you?

15 comments:

  1. I do the same as you plus I try to get up and go early before the sun gets too high in the sky. Heading out as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a great run, Wendy!

      Since I don't work during the summer, it's rare I run before the sun is high!

      Delete
  2. We don't have a lot of choice down here when it comes to running in the heat; either we do it or we don't get to run at all! Although that probably means we're much more acclimated to heat. For us running in 80-90 degrees is just part of daily life (esp. in summer), but running in 50 degrees is hard! My hands get so cold.

    I try not to run in super high humidity if I can help it, but if I need to run in the morning for some reason then I don't have a choice because it's always super humid in the morning.

    I would say I don't think I have a heat cut off but I won't run outside if it's below 50 degrees, and a lot of that has to due with the fact that I generally don't leave my house at all for anything if it's that cold. I'm sure that sounds crazy to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 degrees is perfect running temps!

      Delete
    2. I would agree with Meranda, here in PA, 45-50 is considered perfect running temps. HOWEVER I love running when it's super hot out! I'm glad we get to experience all the seasons but... I wouldn't mind if we never got below 25 degrees!

      How often does it get below 50?

      Delete
    3. It really depends on the year, some years we have a lot of cold days, and some years we have like 1 or 2 at the most. Usually a cold day for us is in the 60s though not the 50s. We get into the 50s at night/early morning but barely ever during the day.

      I consider upper 60s/low 70s my ideal running temp!

      Delete
    4. I should caveat that I'm talking about south florida only. Because Florida is such a long state they get a lot of cold days in north Florida, and even in central Florida they get a lot colder than we do in the south.

      Delete
  3. I like to run in the heat for the most part just because I like to make my most of the outdoors while I'm off work
    However, if I feel it's too hot to continue than I will just walk. That is just as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when it's that hot out, a walk is much more of an effort! Of course this post goes up on a day it's rainy, dreary, and not even 70 degrees!

      Delete
  4. You are so brave! I need to learn from you and run close to home.

    Once, a long time ago. I was running in Hershey by Shank park, and there was a soccer competition of some sort. There were people all over and food trucks. I was in the last of a 12 mile run, and was tired, hungry and hot. Luckily, somebody left a bag full of ice by a tree and I grabbed two handfuls of ice and stuffed one in my sports bra, and one down my shorts. It made a world of difference and I was able to finish my run. I wish i could always find bags of ice along my hot runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in a nice little hood where you can git 'er done if you have to by running close to home. I know you prefer driving somewhere pretty to run.

      That is hilarious! I wish you could find ice everywhere too!

      Delete
  5. As much as I truly love summer, I don't do well working out in the heat (or humidity). Thankfully, I don't have to because I am up running or cycling before the sun comes up and it's been hovering right around 56-60 degrees! With low humidity (gotta love Colorado). My last run in heat/humidity was in Mexico (before the sun was up) and it was 73 degrees (which I know for a lot is not hot but pretty warm to me) and 96% humidity. I was truly humbled at how hard it was but I just reminded myself to do what I do when I run in the mountains....relax, slow down, don't fight it and breath deeply. Doesn't help with any speed but it does make the workout more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think speed is the last thing we should worry about when we are running in humidity, elevation, and hills! I mean, if you are looking for a fun/enjoyable run that is. :)

      Delete
  6. I do not like running in the heat (my fingers/feed swell and I get headaches, so it's just uncomfortable), but I do try to run outdoors in the summer. It's usually early in the morning when the heat is bearable.

    ReplyDelete