A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Weekly" Workout Recap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My leg felt great most of the week! Oddly, it was 2/22 and 2/23- days I didn't even run- that it was aching. I am glad I am documenting my workouts so I can figure out what works, what doesn't work, and what I need to do more of to stay strong and healthy!

Also, I do mobility work 6 days a week but I don't always mention it. But don't worry, I am still being vigilant with it!


2/18- 8 miles on the treadmill. You can read all about the horrible adventure here!

2/19- Lifting back/legs at Planet Fitness. I am so glad I can lift lower body again, but dang it is hard! I experienced major DOMS for four days after lifting last week.


I forgot to include the step ups with a knee tuck and backward lunge I did! I don't feel like making this image again, though!

Also, I realize my leg stuff is not that impressive. I am just getting back into legs and I am weeeeeak!


2/20- I had intended for today to be a rest day because I was fully expecting to be sore from lifting. However, I was not sore at all! And I heard we were going to be getting snow the next day, so I figured I should get a run in while it was still safe to drive to the gym! (Temperature was -25 with the wind chill this morning. I was not going to run outside!



I played around with the speed, and even ran a mile and a half at a 6:58 pace! It was uncomfortable but I think it is important to push yourself once in awhile. Don't worry, I cooled down with a nice long walk.


2/21- Well, I ended up running today anyway. The snow didn't start coming until a little after 10:00, and thanks to my kitty cats, I was up at 7:00. That means I did my entire workout and mobility exercises and was showered and warm on the couch before it started snowing!



It was 8 degrees. What does one wear on a run that is 8 degrees?
I'm so glad you asked...






2/22- My knee was hurting a little the night before, and honestly I was doing too much running. However, I had some ANGER I needed to get out, so after I did my lifting and mobility work, I just had to do my Snow workout 4 times. Burpees are a really good cure for anger. 



'
This workout is specifically designed for runners who are stuck inside and can't run but are CRAVING a cardio high. After doing this 3-4 times, you won't have any energy left to worry about the fact that you didn't run!


2/23- I was feeling "homey" and wanted to really rest my leg, so I lifted back at home.




2/24- 45 minutes on my spin bike! Did I ever tell you I have a spin bike?

2/25- 5 miles. Outside. In temperatures which were way too cold! Accuweather lied to me! They said it was 21 degrees. It was NOT 21 degrees. It was so cold my mp3 player stopped working and I had frozen sweat on my eyelashes and upper lip. I did an 8:06 pace because I couldn't wait to be DONE!
Quite a plethora of different types of workouts this week!

16 comments:

  1. Great workouts, and Im glad your knee has mostly been feeling good! I also like tracking my workouts to see what could potentially be aggravating things, but I haven't really been able to figure out any sort of pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I have found a pattern either otherwise that it hurts more on a rest day! haha. If we stick with it we will figure it out, I am confident. We care and we are dedicated!

      Delete
  2. I have never done leg extensions. I've always been anti-machine for the most part even though I don't have a totally sound reason for it. What is the free weight equivalent of leg extensions? Maybe I should just try the machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is a free weight equivalent and a lot of people don't like the leg extension because they say it is hard on your knees. However, for me personally, at THIS POINT in my continued recovery of my knee/IT band, leg extension and hamstring curl machines hurt less than doing lots of squats and lunges, so I feel like for me, the machines are better at this point. I would love to get back to NOT using machines for lower body, because that's where I was before. I know you squat and dead lift and do all the right stuff. I would say you don't even need to bother with the leg extension machine.

      Delete
  3. OMG I can't imagine going out in that kind of cold, let alone trying to run! I'm a big wimp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm you are not a wimp Ms. Powerlifter!!!

      It's funny, I HATE being cold. I am always bundled up at home and at work. Being cold is one of my biggest pet peeves. However, for some reason running is different!

      Delete
  4. Random, but I got a weird case of deja vu reading this post. I had to keep checking the date to make sure I didn't accidentally stumble upon one of your posts from last week. So bizarre!

    I would love to try your snow workout (especially now that I know it's not actually done in the snow, LOL). Any suggestions for substitutions I can make for the parts that require equipment, since I don't have any? Or just omit those parts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because of the weekend workouts I bet! The weekend wrap up includes Fri, Sat, and Sun workouts, and so does this post.

      If you want to do the snow workout along with me, I have a video here: http://meggorun.blogspot.com/2014/11/oh-no-it-snowed-workout.html

      As for a substitution for the stability ball knee tuck, I would say just pick a core exercise you enjoy and stick it in there- because that's basically what it is. I think two fifteen second side planks would be killer right there!

      Delete
  5. You will be beck soon, Karen! Hey I have planked in anger before, maybe you can do that???

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such great diversity. I still battle with overdoing the cardio, and am seriously making an effort to add strength training. Reading your weekly workout recaps helps motivate me! So glad your knee felt great for most of the week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do 2 full body strength training days a week, that would force you to cut back on running and then of course have the added benefits of strength training! I am glad I can motivate you to want to strength train. It has REALLY helped me running.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it definitely would...and I am sure I would have more energy overall! There is no need for excess cardio...I just think it is addictive for some, and then you get into this habit of overdoing it. This just leads to fatigue, hungry and bad moods! I am going to give your advise a try ;)

      Delete
    3. You are so right- and I have been there! I used to do 2 hours of cardio a day. It was nuts.

      Delete
  7. I hope that you can keep up the mix of workouts and still run pain free!!! I'm all about mixing it up usually and in a few more weeks will cut way back on my running again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you def like to keep things interesting! Hey I had an idea.. you should compile all your favorite 45's into a blog post that would give us enough moves for a full body 45 workout!

      Delete
  8. I know, I can't believe you did that!

    ReplyDelete