A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, February 27, 2015

I finally did something about this whole "I can't sleep" thing...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I know it is annoying listening to people complain about not being able to sleep. I probably mention it from time to time on my blog, but if you were my Facebook friend, you would probably be over it. "Megan didn't sleep last night? What else is new!?"





Sometimes I can't fall asleep and sometimes I can't stay asleep. It is not uncommon for me to wake up at 1:30 and then not fall asleep for the rest of the night. It feels like I can't turn my brain off. I tried melatonin and over the counter sleep medication, but I didn't know the exact dosage I'm supposed to take and whether or not either one is safe, habit forming, or good for long term use.

I wanted some answers, and since I have been having a sleeping problem for months now, I decided it was time to see a doctor.


(Side Note: Can I just say that it's sooooo annoying arriving for a doctor's appointment and then having to wait 45 minutes past your appointment time to actually see a doctor? You see, this is why I have been going to Urgent Care and not my actual doctor for the past several years. It just puts such a bad taste in my mouth. I hate when my time is wasted.)


Well, after my 45 minute wait in the littletinyroom, the doctor finally came in. She was really nice and I liked her a lot. I explained my problem and she asked all the right questions. She actually talked to me for about a half an hour, which was nice considering my long wait and the fact that my copay went up this year. (Not her fault, just pointing out it is getting more expensive to go to the doctor and you usually wait in the littletinyroom for longer than the time you actually get to talk to the doctor.)


Here is what I found out:

Melatonin: It's okay to take 4-6mg of it to fall asleep. It's fine for long term use and is not habit forming. She is okay with me taking this. However, since it has only been helping me fall asleep and not stay asleep, she offered another suggestion...



This stuff really knocks me out but doesn't keep me asleep.


Tylenol PM or a similar over the counter sleep aid: Again, totally safe to take. I told her I have the extra strength stuff and it makes me sleep the whole night and THEN SOME. She said that dosage is probably 50mg and I could find a lower dosage- like 25mg or 12.5mg. I would have to do some testing, but I could possibly find a dosage that could help me sleep soundly for 8 hours.
Yah, 50mg is way too much for me!


I of course mentioned that I totally know the cause of my lack of sleep. Worry/anxiety about work and of course, Paul. She suggested I watch this Ted Talk about taking care of your emotional health.

I didn't watch it yet, but I plan to!

Do you ever have trouble sleeping?
Have you seen the Ted Talk?
How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

18 comments:

  1. I usually sleep pretty well but when I am really stressed my sleep really suffers. I hate the feeling of laying in bed awake in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and when we're stressed is probably when we need sleep the most!

      Delete
  2. I can fall asleep OK but never sleep all night. Usually I sleep 2-3 hours and then spend time awake before finally getting another couple hours of sleep. It is beyond frustrating but I've been like this for years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate waiting for the doctor only to see him/her for 30 seconds! It's just crazy. I don't understand why they make appointments if they aren't going to keep them! Argggg!

    I think I'm a pretty normal sleeper, especially if I'm running a lot. I usually only get up once in the middle of the night, around 4am, when Cecil demands food :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you get some good shut eye. It is funny, the doctor had cats too and she said she understood how they can wake you up and how locking them out doesn't help! I said, "Oh my gosh, I was so worried you were just going to send me home and tell me to ditch the cats!" and she laughed.

      Delete
  4. I am a terrible sleeper--I fall asleep, then wake up around 2 am, and then I am awake until 4:30, and the alarm goes off in an hour...UGH. Tylenol pm DOES help me (I only take 1, otherwise I can't "shake it" off until 10 am!!). I have also found that not having a glass of wine or snacking after dinner greatly helps, much to my dismay!
    I hope you get some R&R soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I am sorry you suffer a similar sleep circumstance as I do! What mg of the PM stuff do you use?

      Delete
  5. I hate how there is ALWAYS an additional wait at the doctor's office. I always bring work or something to read when I go to the doctor because I know there will be a lot of down time. I have a feeling it will never change. Grrrr.

    I definitely sleep a lot better when I am exercising regularly. These past couple of months have been pretty brutal because of the pregnancy, but I allow myself to take naps or sleep when I am tired. The worst is waking up and not being able to get back to sleep. It's so frustrating and time seems to stand still. I hope you are able to find something that works for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get anxiety waiting for the doctor and this is so weird but reading or doing something while I wait makes it worse. I know, I am a weirdo. Otherwise I would probably just zone out and listen to a pod cast. It still feels like such a waste of time. I know it is not the Dr's fault, it is probably just the fault of the organization or the "system", ya know? But still sooooo frustrating. That's why I go to urgent care most of the time.

      Delete
  6. Once I'm out I sleep pretty well, but the problem for me is that I can't fall asleep easily. I just can't. I don't know if it's my inherent night owl-ness or what, but even if I had to get up at 5 AM that day and functioned on 4 hours of sleep, when I turn off the lights and hit the pillow my brain is instantly awake. It's so obnoxious. But it has gotten better in recent years, now that I exercise regularly, eat a tiny bit better, and have a routine drilled into me.

    The doctor wait thing reminds me of hair salons, where this is also always a long wait, and it drives me bonkers. I just don't get it - you've been doing this long enough that you should have a good grasp of how long things generally take, so why is it so hard to stay on schedule? Sure, there will be outliers here and there, but EVERY time? Ugh. I'm a very punctual person so I hate busting my butt to make a *scheduled* appointment on time only to have to wait half an hour. And of course, this always seems to happen on the days my phone is dead and I didn't bring a book. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad getting to sleep is a little easier for you. Did you ever try anything like melatonin to help?

      Yes, yes, yes we are like the same person. I am super punctual too so it irks me when others are not. I once walked out of a hair appointment because I waited 27 minutes past the scheduled time. The receptionist looked miffed when I was telling her I was leaving. WHY make an appointment!?

      Delete
    2. I used to take some store-brand sleep aids, but I stopped using those in favor of melatonin. I hated the fact that I would have a sleeping pill hangover until like noon the next day, and if you can't get at least 8 hours of sleep (which I almost never can on weeknights, usually around 7) then you're not even supposed to take them. Plus, sometimes they just straight up didn't work.

      I love the melatonin. No hangover, and works like a charm. I only take it when I feel like I need it though. These days, there are many more nights when I can fall asleep on my own pretty easily, which is great

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your doctor gave you all-around advice, including the TED Talk. I hope it helps! I take 1 Advil PM when I can't sleep and that always helps, and it doesn't make me feel hungover like Benadryl does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear other people sometimes need help falling asleep. Not that I am glad they need the help, but it is nice to know it's not just ME and that there is something wrong with ME, you know?

      Delete
  8. I can actually fall asleep easy but staying asleep is a problem, and as you can see by the comments (and just ask you friends) you are not alone. I take an OTC sleeping pill and have for years. While not chemically dependent, I do think I'm emotionally dependent on it. But I don't want to give up a good night's sleep. :) I think sleep is a huge problem in our society. I remember when I was in my 20's and could sleep soundly on a beer soaked floor with random people after a party or something. :) Now I almost need MY bed, and a perfect evening routine. It's going to be interesting when I go camping in Utah in April. Might need some heavier shit. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah you might!

      My dr. talked a LOT about having a nighttime routine, and how that helps.

      This whole sleep thing must surely be an age thing. I don't ever remember laying awake in college.

      Delete
  9. Alright I am going to watch it today!

    That is awesome you are getting so long, sound sleep these days.

    ReplyDelete