A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Surgery at Johnny Hops (as we lovingly call it)

Just a little update for friends and family and anyone else who cares!

Paul had surgery on Wednesday at Johns Hopkins hospital to remove some new tumor growth in his right temporal lobe. It was something they were watching on his MRIs and his doctors decided it was time to take it out. It is getting sent to pathology, but preliminary opinions are positive. They also took out an epileptic region of the brain that may have been causing seizures. It is a part of the brain he doesn't need, so if it was causing seizures, removing it may help. If it wasn't causing seizures, oh well, no harm, no foul.


Surgery started a little after 7:30am and I was talking to his surgeon by 2:15pm. I know that sounds like a long day, but his first surgery was 12 hours long, so I couldn't believe it when I looked up from my book to see his surgeon standing over me with a smile.

I am staying with Paul in his room at the NCCU. Don't worry, I am taking care of him! But between all the surgeons, anesthesiologists, neurologists, doctors, and nurses in this joint, it's not like he needs some extra TLC from me, but I am sure he will appreciate it.

If you are just finding out now that he had surgery, my apologies. We didn't know until a few days ago and didn't really tell anyone because the last THREE times he was supposed to have surgery it got postponed, so we didn't want to needlessly worry anyone. Plus, we wanted it to be "chill" and "no big deal". Even though brain surgery is a big deal!

I am just so happy the surgery is over. Surely every day (if not every hour) there is a new challenge to face- whether it's real or whether I just can't get out of my own head- but at least the actual surgery is over.

What does it feel like when your husband is having brain surgery and you are just sitting in the waiting room, helpless? It feels like all of your happiness, everything in your life that you care about, anything that matters at all is in there with him. Even though I trust his surgeon 1000000000000000000000% and would not choose anyone else to take care of Paul, those are still feelings I have. I guess it is natural.

One thing is for certain, no matter how sucky the situation is, Paul and I always say how lucky we are that we are able to get the expert, world class care that is provided at Johns Hopkins. Some people aren't as fortunate, but we know we are.

29 comments:

  1. Wow Meg i didn't realize his surgery had happened until last night! I'm so glad to hear it went well. :) take care and give him my best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that it went well but Im so sorry you are going through this! Hopkins is amazing and Im sure he is getting great care there. Let me know if you need anything while you're in Baltimore:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is getting the BEST care. His surgeon is a rock star. We've been moved to the 12th floor and now have an awesome view of the city! (It's the little things, hehe!)

      Delete
  3. This sounds so positive - I am excited for Paul that there is some positive actions that have been done. I am so hopeful for the both of you. You give such a great perspective from your sharing point of view. I love reading your blog. Thinking of you guys Always!!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care of Paul, and yourself. I am sending positive thoughts. YOU BOTH can do hard things. Thanks for keeping us updated. Breathe deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe I really hope the surgery helps him out a lot! I'm sure going through all of that is very stressful! Big hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonya :) It is very stressful but luckily it ebbs and flows. Moments of extreme anxiety, and then moments like right now, when we are just chilling and he feels great.

      Delete
  6. Based on a comment you made either in a post or in the actual comments a few days ago I thought Paul might be having a procedure done soon. I'm REALLY glad to hear that so far everything is looking positive! It would be so great if the piece they removed will help alleviate the seizures he's had to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we are hoping for too. But luckily they got ALL of the new growth. So glad they were able to get that.

      Delete
    2. That is really great to hear. I am thinking of you two and hoping recovery is as quick and easy as possible for Paul!

      Delete
  7. Oh, my goodness! I can't imagine having to go through what the two of you are going through! It's really awesome how strong and positive you're being!

    Best wishes to the two of you for Paul's speedy recovery. I'm so glad he is getting such great care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hanna. We couldn't be more pleased with this hospital. His surgeon is amazing.

      Delete
  8. I can't even imagine how it feels for you to be sitting in the waiting room while Paul has brain surgery!! I'm glad that it looks like the surgery went well. I hope that the results are all positive!!!
    Sending big hugs your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, :) We are hoping for the best as well.

      Delete
  9. I am SO glad his surgery went well and things are looking good. I can't imagine how scary and stressful it must be to wait while surgery is underway. Paul is so lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to hear Paul's surgery went well and that his recovery is going well! Sending happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOOO glad the surgery is over and went well!!! You guys are so strong. Make sure you take good care of yourself too! Hugs to both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em :) Me and Paul were talking today and we have no choice but to be strong!

      Delete
  12. So glad to hear that the surgery went well. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sending healing thoughts your way! I am so glad the surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what you are going through. I am so happy to hear that the surgery went well. Wishing Paul a quick recovery. I know he is in good, loving hands. You both are in my thoughts. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey you! Just getting back from being gone to Mexico for a week but wanted to say I am glad this is OVER and went OK. I cannot imagine what this journey is like for you and Paul but you have great strength and love. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Susan! I hope you had an awesome vacation! :)

      Delete