A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How to do Pull Ups!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


One of the questions I get asked most often in the comments section is, "How did you learn to do pull ups!!!???"... or something of that nature! Well the thing is, while I am proud of the fact that I can bang out a couple pull ups in a row, you must know that this was something TWO AND A HALF YEARS IN THE MAKING. I believe it took me almost one year to do a single unassisted pull up (overhand, wide grip), and another year and a half to be able to do four in a row. I am stuck at four right now, but I dream of the day I can do ten! Maybe by 2020!?



So anyway, here are a few of the things that really helped me get to the point of doing several pull ups in a row:


1. Time. It takes time. Like I said before, pull ups are difficult, and I was not magically able to do them.

2. Consistency. I did consistent weight training. I started out two times a week and nowadays I do upper body 3-4 days a week.

3. Focus. My upper body training had a focus. I wasn't just throwing in a couple tricep dips and a plank after my runs. I used a training plan with the goal of getting stronger. I had to start light- I remember doing shoulder press with 10 lb dumbbells. I felt so awesome when I could do 12.5 lbs... then 15 lbs... Now I can do 30 lbs! (Again, this is over a two and a half year time period.)

4. I plowed through. Sometimes I would be stuck at a certain weight for months. Then I would see some gains and know it was all worth it. I trusted that I would keep getting better. I just had to KEEP GOING.

5. PRACTICE. But how could I practice pull ups if I couldn't even do one? The answer was the assisted pull up machine. As I got stronger, I lowered the amount of weight I used as assistance. I still use the assisted pull up machine every time I train back at the gym! I do 4 sets of 10 reps with 16lbs assistance. It is difficult, but it does get easier. Once in awhile, after I am warmed up, I will see how many I can do without any assistance at all. Every once in a very long while, I can do one more than I used to be able to and I know my hard work is paying off!

Do you have any tips that helped you gain pull up strength?

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being able to do a pull up unassisted. They are so tough. I have tried and still cannot master one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep at it and work on it a couple times a week. Persistence is key, I think!

      Delete
  2. You are a rockstar!

    I'm glad you mentioned the importance of time. Too many people, like me, get frustrated and discouraged if they can't do things right away. I've never had great upper body strength, so I know that it would take even more training for me to get to that level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had zero upper body strength. I never strength trained, only ran! So I think that is a big reason it took so long. Plus I am small!

      Delete
  3. Great tips! I should start working on my pull ups again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go long periods of time and don't try pull-ups then I decide to try and retrain - I've never been able to do more than 3 unassisted:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to always use the assisted pull up machine in hopes I'd be able to do ONE unassisted but then we moved and our new gym didn't have a machine. Adam would encourage me to keep trying but the end result would always be me hanging from the pull up bar like a monkey without the assist. Our new gym has the machine again so I am excited to be back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GREAT I am glad your gym has one. It makes it so much easier.

      Delete
  6. Yesterday I read an article from Competitor running or Runner's World, I can't remember, about how to do a pull up! They mentioned something about squeezing your glutes and abs so I tried that at the gym yesterday. I made it to two but they were not wide grip. :S You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that is a good tip. Pull ups is definitely full body. That's why when I rest in between, I actually rest and don't do another exercise. I feel like I use my whole body (especially back/shoulders/ABS) to do them.

      Delete