A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Things I've Learned From Being A Teacher


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
  • Kids are really freaking funny. Sometimes they're trying to be funny, sometimes they're not. Either way, they make me laugh every day.
  • Kids will tell you the truth. I can't tell you how many times I have been told, "You look weird, Mrs. Cooney." Gee, thanks!
  • If I act like I am excited about something- it doesn't matter what it is- the kids will be excited for it too. Example:


Me: Boys and girls, today is Yankee Doodle Day!!!!!!!
Students: Yay!!!!!!!!!! (And various other cheers.)
Me: Do you know who Yankee Doodle is?
Students: No!!!!!! (But still cheering.)


  • I need to consciously choose to be patient. I am not a patient person by nature. But it's sort of a requirement when you teach elementary school. When I get to the point when I think my head is about to explode (hello, we've all been there!), I have to take a deep breath and remind myself to just be a little more patient for a little while longer, you can do it!
  • And then of course, this....

This ALWAYS is a good reminder to be patient!


Teacher friends, what have you learned from being a teacher?
Tell me about your favorite teacher!

14 comments:

  1. Hahah, yes this is exactly it!

    7th grade has been a new adventure for me. I seriously laugh out loud (or in my head) all day long. Honesty is not a problem in this age group either. My favorite from a student is " Mrs. R, sometimes I worry about you!" when we were singing/dancing the Protozoan song I made up one day and tried to convince them it was cool and they should do it at their winter formal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! They must really like you and think you are fun if they feel comfortable enough to say stuff like that to you. :) I wish I was in your science class. Not only would I learn a lot of stuff I should have learned the first time around, but I would have a lot of fun!

      Delete
  2. Getting high school students excited for learning does not work that way! How lovely that it is a magic method for your young ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you do to get your high school students excited?

      Delete
  3. Well, I only taught one public speaking for one semester at the university level, but what I learned is that the "kids" (aka 20 year olds) will tell you some interesting lies when they are too scared to give a speech. One student emailed me 20 minutes before class saying he wouldn't be able to make it in time to give his speech because he had a really bad case of diarrhea and couldn't leave the bathroom. I mean, I guess it could be true but .... either way it was TMI! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'd be too nervous to lie to a professor... and if I actually had diarrhea I certainly wouldn't mention it!

      Delete
  4. I loved teaching even though it has been awhile!! Middle school kids are such a fun age and they are actually really neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught MS once and enjoyed it... although I was only 22 at the time. I wonder if I would enjoy it now?

      Delete
  5. I definitely relate to this!! And seriously, I learn so much every day from my kiddos. Mostly I learned to be willing to laugh at myself! The more I can show them that I accept my own flaws and quirks, they more likely they'll be to do the same for themselves and others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a good point! That's something I try to do with my kids too- let them know it's okay to try and fail. It's better to try and make a mistake than not try. Just go with it!

      Delete
  6. LOL....one of my literacy kids got frustrated with me the other day when I wouldn't tell him how to spell a word. The prompt I'm supposed to use is "You try it. Say it slow. What do you hear?" and he gave me fuzzy eyebrows and said, "But you're supposed to know it. Don't teachers know everything. This made me grin because he is six...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be so patient. I can't imagine having to teach a kid to read and write! I love how honest your student was though. :)

      Delete
  7. I work with kids who have moderate/severe disabilities, so I don't get a whole lot of talking. But my best friend works at a middle school. Her students tell her on a regular basis how much they hate her outfit, that she's, "Pretty hot...for a teacher," and comment on her looks. Our running joke is that she has an ugly face because she has been asked on more than one occasion what is wrong with her face. Middle schoolers are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I guess no matter the age kdis always tell it like it is!

      Delete