A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Gym Etiquette 101 (A RANT)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I'm going to get super ranty and snarky so if that is not your thing... move along!



I went to Planet Fitness this past Saturday at Really Crowded O'Clock. My plan was to lift back and legs. I warmed up, then headed over to the pull up/dip machine for my first circuit. I always do pull ups first because they are practically a full body exercise. I want to do them at the beginning of my workout when I have all my energy.

There was a young (early/mid 20s!?) girl using the pull up machine to do tricep dips. I did the normal gym etiquette thing... I lingered back and waited for her to finish up. Well after about 2-3 minutes, it became very apparent to me that she was doing several sets and taking substantial breaks (at least a minute) in between her sets. At this point I decided I was going to ask to hop in and get a set done. (I would also like to mention, all you have to do is move a pin on this machine to change up the weights. It's not a long process to switch between people, it can be done in two seconds.)

Normally at Planet Fitness, people are more than happy to let someone rotate in. In fact, they are overly polite about it. Or maybe they are overly polite because I'm a girl, but seriously, I look like something the cat dragged in when I hit up the gym, so I don't think it can be all that. I think it really is that most people that go there are adults and know how to share.

Except for this bitch. She glared at me out of the corner of her eye and said, "I have two more sets."

Dangggggggggg okay.

So I lingered back, starting texting Paul (about the snarky bitch, of course), and waited for this chick to get done. She did her set of tricep dips. Then she got off the machine, got a drink of water, picked up her little notebook and wrote something in it, stretched up, stretched down, got back on the machine, stood there for about 20 seconds, and then did her final set.



I was so. freaking. pissed. It was as if she purposefully took longer just to make me wait. I guess she gets her jollies doing that rather than sharing with others.

When she walked away, I hopped up on the machine and PR'ed in close grip pull ups- I did SEVEN out of anger!!!! Took me about 30 seconds and then I was off to do some legs. 

I passed the rude girl on a tricep push down machine. I guess it was tricep day for her. 

Idiot. Who has tricep day?

(Come on, I warned you there would be snark!!!!)
What is the rudest thing you have ever encountered at the gym?

15 comments:

  1. Well, everyone comes into our lives for a purpose. Her purpose was to help you knock out seven reps! :D

    Seriously though, how rude of her, especially taking extra time to write in her notebook. That's like when you're in a crowded parking lot around Christmas and the person pulling out of their parking spot knows you're waiting for their spot and yet they take their sweet ass time to do WHATEVER is so important before pulling out.... and then they're bad at backing out and have to pull back in and readjust or whatever. Basically she was the gym equivalent of a bad, annoying driver! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always count on you to validate whatever reason I have for being snarky :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh! How obnoxious! I take the bus every day so unfortunately what happened to you is a daily occurrence for me, haha.

    This isn't really gym etiquette, more like trail running, but it really gets me when someone is running/walking/biking on the wrong side (stay to the right people, just like on the road!) and refuses to move as I, on the correct side, am coming at them. I don't know why but this infuriates me. Don't look at me like I'M the one in YOUR way, YOU are on the wrong side!! MOVE!! Same thing when people are walking side by side taking up the whole trail and neither one of them will move for you when you're coming at them. Seriously?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word. This all reminds me of George Costanza when he screams, "You know, WE'RE LIVING IN A SOCIETY!!!!"

      Delete
  3. Geez. You probably should have just jumped on it anyway while she was taking her break. What do you think she would have done?

    I usually don't mind if someone wants to rotate on a piece of equipment with me because it's an excuse to take a little longer break! haha.

    People at my gym are really nice and even the big boys in the weight room are always so polite when I'm in there. I think I even scared one away yesterday - he came in and only did two things and then left. I think the 5lb weights I had on the bench press bar intimidated him. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that, but I was afraid she would punch me or something hehehe.

      That is good that most people at your gym are really nice!

      Delete
  4. I think that this is part of the reason why I don't like lifting weights on machines. I can't deal with people like that! And I hate having to wait around during a workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I was stupid for going on a Saturday afternoon. When I go in the mornings, I have no problems.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE YOUR RANTS. They make me smile, because I can picture myself fuming in that situation.
    I don't have many smack downs in my little spot in the basement... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL well that is good because I would be scared if you did. :)

      Delete
  6. I totally get not wanting to deal with people- especially with the job you have. I bet you have lots of stories about whackos you could tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, so frustrating!! I'm super faster in weights machines and I never understand people who hog machines for like 5 minutes! It doesn't take that long to do it correctly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So frustrating especially because you KNOW that she stretched those last 2 sets out on purpose!!!
    Way to use the mad and bang out 7 pull-ups - that is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One time I planked for 4 minutes out of anger! I also once ran 12 miles without eating and taking no water out of anger. I do well with anger.

      Delete