A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Thinking Out Loud: Treadmill Thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Thinking-Out-Loud


Thank you to Amanda @ Running With Spoons for this Thinking Out Loud link up!

Yesterday, I was stuck running on the treadmill. (It was 5 degrees out. My threshold is 10 degrees.) Eight miles on a treadmill, even with pod casts, is enough to drive me crazy. Here are some random thoughts I had during my Eight mile stint on the Planet Fitness treadmill.



1. I started out annoyed because when putting in the "time" on the treadmill, I could not put in a time longer than 60 minutes. That was the max. I hate having to stop in the middle of a run and reprogram the machine. It messes with my mo jo!


2. Why am I farting so much? It was probably the red velvet whoopie pie I ate right before bed.


3. At 1.25 miles into the run I was already questioning whether I was going to be able to finish the entire 8 miles. I haven't run 8 miles since... Christmas Eve! (I had to look that one up when I got home.) I used to never question my ability to run a certain mileage, but I would say within the past year, I question my abilities more. I am sure that is because I don't run long anymore. Not like 8 is long, but for me, right now, it is.


4. My shoulder started hurting around Mile 4 I harbor tension there. I reached up and stretched. Ooh dang, I stank. Farts and B.O. No wonder no one wants to share machines with me at the gym.


5. My phone rang at 6:47am. It was my grandma. I don't know about you, but when my grandma calls I answer the phone. I figured she accidentally called me and I was right! I still ran and talked to her for a few minutes. Then I had to wipe the sweat off my phone.


6. I was a little concerned with how my knee/IT band was going to hold up for 8 miles. It started to feel a little "weird" around mile 5.5 but I pressed on. I realized I may regret it later, but after my stretching and cool down walk it was feeling pretty normal.


7. I was playing with the speed during my run, but it reinforced one of the many reasons I dislike the treadmill. I hate CHOOSING my speed. I like to just run what feels good, and the treadmill makes that impossible. First world running problems, right? "Oh poor me, I have access to a gym 24 hours a day in which I can lace up my $100 running shoes and run on a treadmill when it is cold outside."

8. I was ALMOST done with my run and no one had annoyed me yet- which is pretty awesome considering there are a lot of annoying people at the gym. Well, then a young guy got on a treadmill about 4 machines down from me and he was sniffing SO LOUD. I could hear him over my pod cast. There is something about sniffing that makes me want to punch the sniffer in the face. My blood was boiling, but he only ran for about 6 minutes so luckily he got off the machine and no one got hurt.
What do you think about on your runs?
Do you hate sniffing as much as I do?
Tell me something random- Think Out Loud!

26 comments:

  1. I don't know how to input time on a treadmill so I jist run on it till I hit my time. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the gym they make you so you can't hog a machine. Well, you can still hog it, it's just when an hour is up, you reset it. So dumb because PF has a gazillion treadmills and I have never ever seen anyone have to wait for one.

      Delete
  2. I hate having to reset the treadmill after 60 minutes! So annoying! But I hate being on there for longer than 60 minutes anyway.
    My right shoulder always feels tight, and my PT noticed that I swing my arm out a bit when I run...and he thinks it could be to help stabilize myself when my hips are unbalanced. Something to think about since I know you are dealing with running problems too! Who would have thought that shoulder problems could develop from running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all connected! I am sure Kelly Starrett would watch my run and know exactly why my shoulder tensed up! It happens on the treadmill and during speedwork.

      Delete
  3. I don't have to re-set my treadmill after 60 minutes but being on there for an hour is my limit too.

    I always get nervous when I see one of my grandparents call. I always think "oh no, what's wrong"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that when my mom calls me. Even though nothing is ever wrong, it's still my first reaction!

      Delete
  4. I hate having to reset the machine! The one I used to use at my old gym had a default of 30 minutes unless you changed it, which I didn't realize at first. It's so annoying when you're in the middle of speed intervals and it starts shutting down on you! ARG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that would be bad for speed intervals.

      Delete
    2. Yes! The treadmills at my current gym reset at 30 minutes unless you change the settings. I too got shutdown on in the middle of an interval! So annoying! At first I was like, "wow I must be awesome because this is starting to feel so easy" and then I looked down at the screen ;)

      Which podcasts are you listening to now?

      Delete
    3. Oh still Survivor pod casts, Savage Love, and Stuff You Missed in History Class <---- that's a good one!

      Delete
    4. LOL Kristina I wonder if we were using the same model of treadmill

      Delete
  5. GREAT job knocking out 8 miles on the treadmill. I am pretty sure after 8 miles is when everyone and everything gets annoying on the treadmill. I am pondering venturing outside for today's run come hell, or high...snow. It's either be crazy, or go crazy at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go girl! I am sure if you get outside you will let us know how it goes. :)

      Delete
  6. WooHoo - great job on that run!
    I would hate to be on a treadmill and have it reset or shut-down - glad mine doesn't have a time limit.
    Yes, sniffing annoys me - just ask my boys:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG teenage boys and sniffing! It is funny cause the boy sniffing looked 20 or younger. ;)

      Delete
  7. I get so annoyed at sniffing too! I always feel bad but noises associated with colds and flu just get me all like "stand back!!!!" I also LOATHE the treadmill. I can only do short drills on it so winter is definitely a running slack time for me. I admire your drive! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad. Grown adults should be able to get tissues hehe. I am rehabbing from injury so that helps with my drive to run! I mean, a healthy run on the dreadmill is better than no run, right? Maybeeeee? haha.

      Delete
  8. #2. Omg I just died lol. And I have to give serious props to anyone who can last that long on the treadmill. I'm super grateful for treadmills for allowing me to go on running when I can't get outside, but I max out at around 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that is why they have the max limit on it hehe :) Tomorrow is a rest day, thank goodness. It will be -33 at 6am!

      Delete
  9. Sniffling is so obnoxious. I always tell my students not to be "that guy" during a test but they never want to grab a tissue!

    The last time I answered the phone on the run I really regretted it...it threw off my entire run. But I would answer for my grandma too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 1st grader that sniffs like an old man. It is so disgusting!

      I bet you walk up and down the aisles handing out tissues. :)

      Delete
  10. I carry tension in my shoulder, too. J can tell exactly what kind of day I've had just by rubbing my shoulders, haha. And I'd hang out with you at the gym, even if you're the stinky kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks Cassie!!! :) I'd put deoderant on for you ;)

      Hey maybe it is a teacher thing! (The shoulder)

      Delete
  11. Uh oh what if they were on either side of you? Although I have a feeling right now you want to run so bad that you would suck it up and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't run on a treadmill for over an hour in a very, very long time. I was such a treadmill junkie. Now, the thought almost kills me. We are having a very, very different winter than you are, however. And I always choose to run with other people when I can. Yesterday, I did 12 miles in the forest with a friend and it didn't feel like 12 miles at all. Had I done that by myself or on the treadmill, I probably would've given up at 7 or 8.

    I'd totally run next to you at the gym, because I'm usually the stinky kid as well. I am totally disgusting. We'd make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol and then no one annoying would run next to us and sniff. :)

      Delete