A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why I Don't Weigh Myself

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



I can't remember the last time I weighed myself. It was at least 3 months ago, if not longer. I hate weighing myself for several reasons, mainly because the number on the scale will determine my mood for the day. I know, a NUMBER should not decide whether I'm happy or sad. But it does! So I avoid the scale at all costs. Another reason I avoid the scale is because it barely gives me ANY information at all!


The scale does NOT tell me:

1. My body composition (lean muscle mass vs. stored body fat)
2. How fast I can run a mile
3. The number of pull ups I can do
4. How much energy I have
5. The number of times I can run up Moore's Mountain



There are many other ways one can measure their progress without getting on the scale. I've always found the way my clothes fit to be a great indicator. So if you hate getting on the scale like I do, here are some ways to track your fitness progress!


1. How your clothes fit. We all have that pair of jeans or teeny tiny skirt we throw on when we're feeling thin to see if we can squeeze ourselves into it. Just make sure it's an attainable size. You probably shouldn't be trying on your 8th grade cheerleading uniform...

2. Stand in front of your mirror naked. Seriously! It's a great way to literally "view" your progress!

3. How you feel. Do you have tons of energy? Or all you tired all the time? Are you constipated? Bloated? I know I'm starting to sound like the beginning of a prescription drug commercial, but my point is, if you feel better than you did before, you're probably making progress.

4. Take your measurements. If you lose body fat and gain muscle, it is possible that you weigh more but you still lost inches and your clothes fit better. That's one of the reasons the scale can be deceiving... 

5. Performance. Track your progress in the gym. Are you able to workout more intensely or for a longer duration? If you strength train, are you able to increase either your weights or reps?

6. Body Composition. This one could be hard to do on your own. Also, the most accurate ways to measure this are expensive and hard to find. However, most gyms do have skinfold calipers, and if you can find someone who knows that they're doing, it can be pretty accurate. 


Some people love getting on the scale. And if you're trying to lose weight, it is probably a good idea to weigh yourself once a week. But for me, I'm really not interested in the number these days!


Do you weigh yourself?
How do you track progress?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I used to be so obsessed with the scale. To think I have gained 10kg since I started lifting, when I initially started with the hope of losing 5kg! My old self would be horrified ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your old self would not have been able to beast it at the Strongwoman Competition!!

      Delete