A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Dumb Knee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Well, I'm finally going to and out what's wrong with my dumb knee on Monday. Hopefully. We will see.

Here's the deal. My left knee has bothered me on and off ever since I ran the Bull Run 50 Miler in 2010 It was likely an overuse injury. I rested it for 2 months. I did a TON of swimming at the YMCA. I eased back into running. Things have been sort of smooth since then. However, from time to time, it still flares up and bothers me. When that happens, I go to Olivetti Chiropractic to get Active Release Technique. That usually does the trick.

Not this time! My knee has been bothering me for about two months and nothing seems to make it feel better. It used to only hurt when chilling on the couch or driving. Then it started to hurt AFTER a workout- whatever that may be... running, plyos, spinning, lifting, sprinting... At this point, it hurts while I workout.

I have an appointment for an X-Ray at OIP on Monday. I'm really excited to find out once and for all what the hell is wrong with it so I can treat it and get back to my normal routine. My normal routine doesn't even involve running a whole lot. (I think I've only been running like 20-25 miles a week. I know people who run that in a DAY!) But I want to be able to do squats and burpees and mountain climbers and all that "fun" stuff.

My chiropractor thinks I may have a small tear in my meniscus. It can't be a bad tear because if it was, I wouldn't be able to bend my knee, stand on it, or run on it. If it's a tear, it's probably small and requires a few weeks of rest. Sounds good to me!

I'm going to be "good" and neglect my lower body today at the gym today. My lifting workout will consist of upper body only. I'll "lift like a dude", too. Low reps and high weight! Tomorrow I will fill you in on how that went!

As for yesterday, I did some fun circuits that focused more on core and upper body. I will share it with you to prove that it is easy to train around an injury. Just because I have a bum knee doesn't mean I have to stop working out and lay around all day!

These circuits started in my backyard but I had to transfer to inside my house because I was getting ANNIHILATED by mosquitoes! I don't get it! I was covered in bug spray. Yet I had 4 mosquito bites within 10 minutes. They love me.


Okay, Here are my circuits!



It took me exactly 48 minutes to complete. This morning, my abs are sooooo sore! 


How have you had to train around an injury?

Any suggestions for other knee friendly exercises I can throw into my circuits?

No comments:

Post a Comment