A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, July 6, 2013

My no-direction-mess-of-a-workout!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I am very thankful to have the summers off and to generally be able to do whatever I want with my days. I do teach piano lessons, but that is only about 5 hours a week. One of my favorite parts about summer is having more time to workout and to have the flexibility to do it when I feel like it- not when I can squeeze it into my schedule.

During the school year, I usually get up at 5:30am so I can get my workout in first thing. I feel like I have more energy first thing in the morning. If I waited until 6pm (after a full day of teaching and then piano lessons) I probably would not have much mojo left to put the proper amount of effort into my workout.

Summer is a whole different story. Sometimes I workout before piano lessons. Sometimes I wait until after lessons and do it in the afternoon. But whenever I decide to do it, I give myself at least a good hour and a half beforehand to relax, drink coffee, and eat a good breakfast. That way I can REALLY TEAR IT UP!




Yesterday, I didn't have piano lessons. I slept until noon. Noon! WTH!? I went to bed around 11pm the night before... I guess I really needed to catch up on some sleep! So once I dragged my arse out of bed, I fiddled around on my computer, ate breakfast, and drank coffee. I didn't get to the gym until 1:30pm. Talk about a lazy summer day!

My summer workouts have slowly become a bit of a mess. I do have some sort of a schedule, but then there are days that I don't have much of a direction. For example, yesterday was supposed to be weight training- bi/tri/shoulders. But when I focus on just those muscle groups, it doesn't take me very long in the gym, and I sometimes feel like doing a little extra. So I ended up adding a short run and a short circuit.

(This is more than I normally do in a day. I normally do 45-70 minutes. but I think getting 13 hours sleep gave me some extra energy! Plus, my husband wanted to play disc golf, and it's so easy to go on a beautiful run in a new area while he is doing that.)

Here is my no-direction-mess-of-a-workout I did yesterday!


Resistance Training Circuits Bi/Tri/Shoulders (each group 3xs)

Dumbbell Bicep Curls
Dumbbell Overhead Tricep Extension
Shoulder Press
Wall Sit (threw this in at the end to give my arms a rest, 
even though it wasn't a lower body day!)

Assisted Pull Ups
Assisted Tricep Dips
Sit Ups
Bicycles

Cable Bicep Curl
Tricep Push down w/ Rope
Arnold Dumbbell Press

Cardio - 4 mile run - 8 min pace

Ab/Jump Rope Circuit - 1 time only!

Jump Rope - 200 rotations
Plank - 2 min
Jump Rope - 200 rotations
Side Planks - 2 min each side
Jump Rope - 200 rotations


I was in the gym about 45 min, my run took 32 min, and my little circuit took 10 minutes. I know it was a bunch of random exercises, but that's what keeps it fun, right?

Plus, I got to listen to a Jillian Michaels' podcast during my run. I am learning so much from her! (And she has almost convinced me to stop adding salt to my food.)

**Addendum: I wrote this blog yesterday (7/5) evening. It is now nearly 5:00am on 7/6 and I still have not gone to bed yet. I tried. I laid there for three and a half hours and then finally got up. This is what I get for sleeping all day...** 

Do you ever have random workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment