A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Falling-jawnpiece: Weekend Wrap Up- Part II

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


What a weekend! Let me catch you up on the second day of our little birthday trip. Don't forget to read Part I!


Day #2 - Fallingwater


If you ever find yourself in the western part of the state, I highly recommend you swing by Mill Run and take a tour of Fallingwater. Actually, there is really no way to "swing by" Mill Run. It's out in the middle of nowhere. I think the closest "city" is Somerset- about 35 minutes away.

You may as well make a trip of it and visit the Laurel Highlands. There are lots of places to camp, or you can sleep in luxury, like we did. Ohiopyle State Park is right nearby, and apparently, it is one of the best in PA. In fact, we were actually going to bike there on the Great Allegheny Passage before going home but we were too tired.

My point is, if Fallingwater is on your list of places to see, it is so worth it! I'm not going to go into the details and history about the home because you know how to google, but I will post a ton of pictures from our trip and sort of give you an idea of at least the outside of the home. No pictures were allowed to be taken inside.

The tour itself was fascinating. The guides knew a lot about not only the architecture of the house, but the reason things were designed and decorated in certain ways. Also, we learned a lot about the family who lived there, and the reasons they wanted the house to be set up a certain way. 

Okay, here is what I can show you in pictures!




We just turned onto Mill Run Rd.




This is the road you follow once you enter the gates.




Indeed.




What a wonderful birthday present from a wonderful husband!




In honor of Frank Lloyd Wright's "organic" style of architecture, the Visitors Center 
and Cafe merge and become one with it's natural surroundings.




Heading down to the house! It's about a quarter mile walk.




The walk is very pretty! I wanted to go on a trail run on the grounds so bad!




There it is!




The house sits directly on top of a waterfall and is basically built into the earth. It becomes
part of the landscape. Those stairs look weird, but if you go up them, there is a hatch
that opens into the living room. Sort of like a ship. So from the living room, you could
go down the steps and sit at the bottom and dangle your feet into Bear Run creek.




On the bridge, ready for our tour!




This would look awesome in my parent's garden!




Just as you were about to enter the house, there was this little bath with soap 
hanging from the stone wall! So cute!



AT THIS POINT WE STARTED THE TOUR AND WERE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE PICTURES INSIDE THE HOUSE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF THE INSIDE, YOU KNOW HOW TO GOOGLE!




 After we exited the servant's quarters (shown) we were allowed to take pictures.





The terrace just off the living room.




I believe this terrace was right off Edgar Kauffman Sr.'s bedroom.




My handsome hubby in front of Bear Run.




And his lovely wife.




On the short trail walk to get a view of the house, I couldn't wait to swing my purse around!




In the house, they were VERY STRICT about holding your purse IN FRONT of you,
not beside you under your arm. I got reprimanded as soon as I stepped in the door regarding
this rule, even though I had it very tight against my body.  I really don't take up that much space and my purse probably added 1/2 an inch to the width of my body. I don't get it!? 




The infamous view of Fallingwater through the trees.




Thank you, Paul, for a wonderful birthday present! "They" say you are supposed to spend your money not on THINGS, but on EXPERIENCES. I firmly agree!


It was a private tour, of course, and she sent in for champagne and caviar to enjoy in the living room.



I said it at the beginning of this post, but I will say it again. If Fallingwater is on your list of places to visit, make sure you go. You will absolutely love it! I would move there if I could. Christmas, Jelly, and Basic would love all the windows. I'd host game nights on the terraces. Paul could turn the servant's quarters into a man cave.

It sounds like heaven to me. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment