A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (No, I am NOT pregnant!!!!)




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
I have been thinking about this decision for awhile and I have gone back and forth on it. However, in the past few days (today in particular) I have decided why not now? What am I waiting for? This is my life, I only get one!


I decided to become a certified personal trainer!

This probably does not come as a shock to you. You're thinking, "She loves working out, of course she would want to be a trainer." But it's more than that. I want to help people. I want to teach people. I am a teacher, after all, and when I am passionate about something, I want to teach it.

Growing up, I loved music. I sang, I danced, I performed in musicals and band and choir... I did it all. I wanted to share that love with others, so I became a music teacher.

It makes sense that now that I am passionate about health and fitness, I would want to motivate, teach, and help others. It drives me nuts when I see people who are misinformed. Girls think they will get "bulky" if they lift weights. There are people that literally starve their bodies by eating only 600 calories a day, hoping to lose weight. Others just don't know how to get started or what to do.

I want to help! I want to teach! It's the teacher in me that wants to do these things. There is a part of me that wants to serve and help others.

Of course I will still teach music. That part of my life is not going anywhere. I love my job. I am lucky to have it. Personal training would be a part time endeavor.

I am still researching what organization is right for me to get certified. I am leaning towards ACE, but if any of you trainers out there have any other suggestions, let me know!

I've also been scouring websites about qualifications and characteristics of a good personal trainer. Because honestly, anyone can get study, pass the test, and get certified. I wanted to make sure I had the skills to actually DO it. I found this list, which I thought to be interesting:


  • Speaking skills
  • Teaching skills
  • Patience
  • Confidence
  • Dedication to learning
               (Source)

Hmmm... looks like some of the characteristics I have to display every day in my classroom! Am I right my teacher friends?! It's more than just "I like to work out, I want to be a trainer." I truly want to help and motivate others.

I'm very excited about my decision and am ready to study, study, study. But first, I have to pick the organization, buy the materials, and all of that stuff. This will be at least a six month process, because I want to be very prepared for the test when I take it. Like all tests, it's pretty expensive, and I want to ace the test on the first shot!

I don't know how this will all turn out. How much time will I even have to train others once I get certified? The school year is so busy for me, between work and piano lessons. But I guess I will see what happens! After all, if I never venture into the unknown, how can I expect exciting things to happen?

Well, that is my big announcement. Maybe you were hoping I was pregnant, or accepting a teaching position in Donegal, or was picked as Elisabeth Hasselbeck's replacement on The View.

Nope, sorry! They would never pick me to replace Liz. Now Joy, on the other hand...


Who would you want to replace on The View?

4 comments:

  1. You will be a GREAT trainer, Megan. You will succeed at anything and everything you decide to do. There are some lucky, potential clients out there! Kudos! (Next stop - The View : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! You will be great! Good for you for going for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. megan you are a WINNER at anything you do. your moms right, there are clients out there just waiting for someone with your talent. you definitely have what it takes to do this...happy,happy,happy for you....

    ReplyDelete