I thought it would be fun to do a few blog posts about my favorite exercises. When I say an exercise is my "favorite" it probably means:
1. It's hard.
2. It's effective.
3. I love it just as much as I hate it.
Apparently, there are a ton of different ways to do a burpee. You can check out 30 different ways here. Each variation looks extremely challenging! Especially #4, #5, #8, #9, #12, #16, #19, #20, #23, #24, & #30... ummm, so most of them.
This is how I do a burpee:
Why Burpees Are Awesome!
1. Burpees are a FULL BODY workout... legs, core, shoulders, arms, chest...
2. It's cardio and strength training wrapped up into one movement!
3. You don't need any equipment, just your body weight.
4. As mentioned above, you can modify a burpee to make it easier or more difficult.
5. You burn tons of calories and fat because they are super high intensity.
Check out this guy! Will doing burpees all day give me abs like that????
This is just... insane. I wanted to try it, until I saw that it takes about 2 hours.
Maybe I could try to do just 1/4 of a mile. Who's with me?
|Some dead grass in my yard... because I did burpees!|
How I incorporate burpees into my training:
1. I use them as part of a circuit when I do circuit training.
2. They are usually "hearts" for a Deck of Cards Workout.
3. In the gym, I do them between sets when I'm lifting to get the benefit of a compound exercise.
I used to do 3 sets of 20 burpees once a week. They were challenging because I had very weak shoulder and chest muscles. Now, I do 3 sets of 25 burpees three times a week. They are definitely one of my favorite exercises!
Check back for a post about another favorite exercise of mine... the PLANK!