A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Anxiety over The Mile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I'm running the Harrisburg Mile on Wednesday. I am getting a little anxious about it...




Things that are giving me anxiety about THE MILE:

1. What if I don't reach my goal?
2. I have to take some "easy" days and rest days leading up to the race. I don't do well with inactivity.
3. It's going to be uncomfortable. A mile is basically a sprint, and sprinting makes me feel like puking.
4. How do I keep myself energized and hyped up all day? My age group doesn't go until 7:15pm.
5. What do I EAT all day so I feel fast and lithe, yet fueled? I'm not used to racing at the END of the day.


Goals



Races don't usually make me anxious unless I have a specific goal. I used to just run races for fun, but lately I have been a little more goal oriented.

When setting goals, I usually come up with two. The first goal is one I know I can reach, and the second goal is a "pie in the sky" goal. The pie in the sky goal is my REAL goal, but I don't make it my only goal. That way, I am not disappointed if I don't reach it. I don't like to fail. Who does?

For instance, for the Harrisburg Marathon last year, I set 3 goals:

1. Set a PR. (< 3:38:56)
2. Qualify for Boston (< 3:35:00)
3. Run a sub 3:30:00

All three goals ended up being accomplished! But I had to set those other two easier goals just so I wouldn't be mad at myself if I didn't reach my true goal. It's a cop-out! Why can't I just state what I really want to do, and  deal with the outcome, whatever it may be? I've been running and racing a long time. I'm a big girl. I should not coddle myself with little "sub goals" I know I can reach. It's time to buck up!


Here it goes!


I'm not even going to list my "sub" goal for the mile. I'm only going to state my #1 Goal for the race. Okay, here it goes...

< 6:00

That's right, I want to run a 5:59 or lower. 
I don't care if I am in LAST PLACE as long as I ran a sub six minute mile.

It is scary typing that on here for all the world to see because what if I fail? You will all know I failed and I did not do what I set out to do.

If I do not reach  my goal, I will not be able to say, "Well, I did everything I could." I did not do everything I could. I could have run less. I could have done more speed training. I could have eaten better. I know a sub six is in my future, but I don't know if that day is tomorrow.

I hope that it is!

Svetlana Masterkova, current WR holder
for the women's mile
4:12:56

This is what I basically did to get ready for the mile. It was mostly business as usual, as far as my training has been going. It is currently already geared towards helping my speed.

1. I did shorter runs but at a faster pace.
2. I did speed work approximately once a week.
3. I continued strength training.
4. I continued plyometrics.
5. I ran hills.
6. I plan to make myself take it easy in the days leading up to the race.

Hopefully, I trained hard and smart. If not, I shall try again!

Do you ever set "easy" goals for yourself that you know you can reach?

Are you running The Harrisburg Mile? What is your goal?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck and don't get hurt!
    Last year I did 6:50. This year simply hoping to beat without getting injured. Had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Gary! I know you will PR, you have gotten much faster this year, according to your wife! I have been having knee pain so I hope it doesn't affect my run. Maybe I will see you there! Us old fogeys run pretty late..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow this guy on you tube feed. He's been helpful... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uWqXYCAb2Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    ReplyDelete