My study materials have finally arrived!
I have A LOT of work to do. Just flipping through the books casually confirmed that I know NOTHING. I have a lot to learn. I hope I can do it in just six months. (I have to register for my test within 6 months or my test voucher expires and I will have to pay another couple hundred dollars to take the test.)
There are many different organizations that offer personal training certifications. I did a lot of research, and ended up having to choose between 3-4 organizations that are very respected and accepted at most gyms. But how was I going to choose which one was right for me? Well, I read. I read A LOT. And I finally chose to get certified through ACE- American Council on Exercise.
Why I Chose Ace
1. ACE is not only affordable, but it is an accredited by the NCCA, and recognized as a reputable training certification by most gyms.
2. There are many study options available. With the study "bundle" I purchased, I receive both books I will need to learn, an exam voucher (like a ticket to take the test!), a 12 week guided email series, a practice test, and access to the ACE resource center. This is the most basic bundle available (and cheapest!), but if I was looking for more help and resources, there were two more study bundles that offered more in that department. So I had OPTIONS.
3. ACE offers exam preparation support in the form of a very active Facebook page and an exam prep blog. Not only that, but they have a hotline you can call and ask an ACE expert anything you don't understand. I feel like there are several resources available to me if I'm studying and I don't "get" something.
4. ACE provides continuing education and opportunities to earn more certificates. As a fitness professional it is important to stay current. I feel ACE will help support that!
5. I do not have to attend any classes, workshops, or training sessions. (Other than to get my CPR/AED certification.) This is very important to me. I love online learning and pacing myself. My entire master's program was online, so I know it works well for me.
There are many other organizations to get certified through, and they are all wonderful. I really don't think it matters which one I pick, as long as I think it will work for me. I think (and hope!) that it will!
We shall see!