Where I fall on the running gear spectrum depends on the weather and how far I am running. Once, on a 20 mile run on the Appalachian Trail in freezing temperatures, I had my hydration pack, toilet paper (never run trail without it!), my phone, 2 extra pairs of gloves, a turkey sandwich (which I ended up feeding to a stray cat) and a Fiber One bar. That's a lot! But on the other hand, when I run around my house, I rarely ever even take water.
However, there are some creature comforts that make my runs more enjoyable!
1. Mizuno Wave Riders- size 7.5 - I've been wearing these shoes for the past 8 years. I hope they don't discontinue them! Much of the time, I find them for 50% off at Holabird Sports. Check it out... they may have YOUR shoe!
2. Garmin - Would you believe I have been running for years but didn't get a Garmin until this past Christmas? Honestly, you don't NEED one. I survived with years without one. But I do think once you have one and use it regularly, you will feel lost without it!
3. MP3 player w/ NPR pod casts uploaded! - I'd rather listen to pod casts on a run than music. I know, I'm weird!
4. Sunglasses - If it's sunny, of course. A sunny run without sunglasses is MISERABLE! I just get cheapo black ones at Wal Mart. Nothing fancy, because I don't want to have to worry about them.
5. Hydration Pack - If it's a hot day or I'm running long, you better believe I'm bringing water! I've been using this exact hydration pack for years and it has held up just fine. It's a North Face Sailfin, but I know there are other wonderful packs out there. The only thing is I bit through the mouthpiece- but they sent me a replacement for free! I also had to buy an insulator to go over the exposed tube to stop the water from freezing in the tube during really cold runs. It was a good investment.
One thing you will notice is not on this list is some sort of ID tag or bracelet. I had an awesome ID bracelet I wore on every run. You can find it at RoadID. But when I moved (5 years ago!) and my address changed, I never got another one! This is something I would like to get.
What do you take on a run?