A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, August 15, 2013

A Great Way To Mess Up Your Metabolism!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This post was inspired by a picture I saw in my Facebook feed:





Seriously? Drinking only apple cinnamon water is going to give you tons of energy? The only thing that gives me energy is food!

How is not eating and only drinking this weird water concoction supposed to speed up your metabolism? Starving your body for food will SLOW DOWN your metabolism! Your body is going to say, "Oh shit! I'm not getting ANY FOOD. I need to hang on to every ounce of fat I have, because who knows when I will get nourished again!?"

Our bodies are smart and efficient little buggers. Say your body requires 1200 calories a day to function. If you start feeding it only 800 calories a day, it will eventually adjust. Your body will adapt and begin to function on only 800 calories a day. Congratulations! You've successfully slowed down your metabolism!

Conclusion

Starving yourself to lose weight leads to "starvation mode"

Starvation Mode means a slower metabolism

A slower metabolism makes it hard to lose weight and to avoid weight gain



If you want to lose weight, please do not starve yourself! Don't try one of the weird "detoxes" or "jump starts". Starving yourself will result in losing water weight, and muscle. Then when you start eating again, you'll gain it all back! 


How do you lose weight without going into starvation mode? Cut your calories by a small amount. (No starving!) Eat healthy foods. Move your body. Lift heavy things. That is the best prescription for weight loss! Is it as easy as drinking apple cinnamon water for a few days? No. I never said it would be easy! But it's effective.


Did you ever try a crazy detox diet? Did it work?

6 comments:

  1. How hilarious that you posted this today. There is a huge pitcher of water with peaches and cinnamon sticks sitting in the fridge at our office. The one girl here has been drinking it nonstop. She made me try a sip the other day and it was AWFUL. Cinnamon and water were never meant to be mixed. The girl who has been drinking it for over a week (and eating a little here and there too) hasn't noted anything positive from drinking the water so I'm not sure why she continues, but to each their own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence! I'm getting hungry just thinking about not eating...

      Delete
  2. This is a great, informative blog for many people to read. My mother-in-law has always been a yo-yo dieter. I read this and told Mark, his mom really should read this article. At one time she went on a liquid diet, lost lots of weight. She then gained it all back plus some, once she started eating food again. She along with many others really need to read this blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sad to hear! I think people are just misinformed sometimes, or want a quick fix "jump start" type of thing. But it's not a jump start, it's like three jumps BACK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post yesterday didn't stick. I don't think that the apple cinnamon water is supposed to be a diet. When I looked it up, people were just using it upon rising in the morning as a way to (allegedly) boost their metabolism. Did the person who posted the photo on FB say to consume ONLY this water and nothing else??

    ReplyDelete
  5. She wasn't sure as a friend posted it on HER wall (she wasn't about to try it!) but even so, it's a good representation of what great lengths some will go to in effort to lose weight quickly...

    ReplyDelete