For teachers, September is the "New Year". It's a clean slate. While so much about my job stays the same year after year and it can get monotonous, there are a lot of things that change. And even the small changes bring some newness and excitement to the school year!
Here are a couple new things going on in my music room this year...
2. The faculty lounge has moved. I know this sounds silly, but the faculty lounge moving is a BIG DEAL. For my first 13 years teaching, the lounge was upstairs. My room has always been about as far away from the lounge as you can get. This year, it is right down the hall! I'm happy about this for two main reasons:
1. My refrigerated food will now only be about 30 seconds away. This means I will have access to it even if it's not my lunch time because I could make a quick pop over to the lounge between classes or even send a student.
2. More traffic in my hallway. Since my hallway is a dead end, I rarely see other adults in my neck of the woods unless they are bringing their kids to music class. I'm excited to see more of my colleagues throughout the day. A quick smile or a hello is a great pick me up! My friend Peggy always waves hello when she passes my room on her way to lunch. I'm always teaching kindergarten at that time, so it's fun to have a quick distraction!
3. New ideas! Summer really gives me a time to decompress from the school year and become CREATIVE again. I am proud to say that this August, I have come up with some great ideas for new music lesson, strategies, and themes for my classroom. I also starting surfing around on the website Teachers Pay Teachers and even though I haven't bought everything I want, I am getting ideas for things I can make myself. I did buy a lot though...
4. Under the desk bins. Passing out materials is soooooo time consuming. Sometimes I put materials for the whole day under the desks, but everything ends up getting kicked around. Well this year, I purchased some bins for under the desks. So far, having these bins has saved me A LOT of time passing out materials.
You know you are a teacher when you are excited for UNDER THE DESK BINS!!!
5. I have a new, POSITIVE attitude for the school year! I'm trying to stay veryyyyyyy positive. No, not everything at my workplace is perfect, but I am determined to be positive and hope/work for the best.
Are there any new changes happening at your workplace?