A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Spectating at the Harrisburg Marathon! (GO TYLER!!!!)

On Sunday morning, I had the pleasure of cheering on my brother and hundreds of other runners at the Harrisburg Marathon. Tyler's first marathon was Philadelphia in 2009. Although he has always been very active playing soccer and cycling, running hasn't been a big part of his life during the years in between these marathons. That means, he basically started from scratch several months ago when he decided to train for Harrisburg. The thing about my brother though is, when he sets his mind to do something, he does it.

***This is not meant to be a recap of Tyler's race (that's his story to tell!), but more my experience spectating.***

I didn't have much of a plan when I woke up Sunday morning other than I wanted to try to see Tyler as many times as I could. After studying the race course a bit (it had changed a lot since I last ran the race in 2012), I decided the first place I could connect with him was Mile 8, which was right at the Market Street Bridge on the Harrisburg side.

To save the headache of race day traffic, I parked in Lemoyne and ran over to Harrisburg. It was just under a mile and a half, so no big deal. I timed it up so that I made it to my cheering spot about 6 minutes before Tyler ran past. Talk about calling it close!


He looked strong and determined!


I was glad I had sunglasses on because whenever I cheer at a race, I inevitably start to cry. Cheering on runners is so good for the soul. It was like a wave of human spirit flowing past me and it filled my heart with joy.

From there, the runners headed over to City Island to do a loop. I jogged about a quarter mile North and waited at what would be Mile 10. There were one or two people nearby and none of them were cheering very much. I'm sure it doesn't surprise you that I cheer very heartily at races. I'm not going to just stand there and watch people run past. I clap and cheer and shout words of encouragement. 



Tyler looked great at Mile 10- in a groove, chugging along.

After that, I ran back to Lemoyne, hopped in my car, and headed over to 6th street in Harrisburg. There was a little bit of traffic, but I made it to Mile 15 about ten minutes before Tyler did.




I was nervous to see how he was holding up. He had been really sick with a cold and was still fighting it. He barely got any sleep the night before. I was hoping he was doing okay, and at Mile 15 he still looked good!

If I stayed right at my spot, I'd see runners again as they looped back and it would be about Mile 20. To kill some time, I ran about 4 miles. I did not run along the marathon route- I stuck to nearby neighborhoods. I ended up peeing in an ally because there was literally NO PLACE TO GO.

When I was done with my little run, I hunkered down at Mile 20 and did some hardcore cheering. What do you say to someone at Mile 20 of a freaking marathon? There are times I have felt great at Mile 20 and times I have felt like death. I tried to say the right thing to each runner as they came by.

Tyler came by a little later than I expected him. He stopped to chat for just a few seconds and said his energy was completely gone, but he was going to keep going and finish the race. I did not expect any less of him! "Drink water!!!" I yelled to him as took off. There was dried salt all over his face and since he had been sick, I wanted him to be extra hydrated.

My plan was to drive to the finish line, but I texted Ana and she was at Division Street (about Mile 22) so I stopped there. I got to hang out with her for a few minutes and meet her son! Tyler came by and I walked through the water stop with him. He seemed to be in good spirits and had slowed his pace a bit so his heart rate stayed where it needed to be and he could finish strong.



Next stop... The FINISH LINE! It was a little stressful finding a spot to park but I finally found one. I ran several blocks to the finish line and stationed myself about 1/10 of a mile ahead of it. I started screaming my head off for people and crying under the guise of my sunglasses.

And then came my brother... kicking it into the gear at the end and sprinting to the Finish Line. I AM SO PROUD!!!!

B

Unfortunately it was so crowded and his phone was on the fritz, so we weren't able to hook up after the race. He called me on his way home and I got to tell him how awesome of a job he did. I never ran a marathon sick, and I hope I never have to! He was stopping at Wendy's on the way home. I can't think of a better post race meal!

Whenever I plan to cheer at races, I am always afraid I will have FOMO. But then when I get there, I never get that feeling. Instead I feel so motivated and filled with joy. Seeing all of the athletes complete something as huge as a marathon... whether it was their 10th or their 1st was such a sight to see.ut it was especially great to see my brother complete something he worked so hard for. I am so proud of you, Tyler! I am in awe your focus and determination.  WAY TO GO!!!!

Still sick, but relaxing in the post race glory!

Oh, and not only is he recovering from the marathon AND still sick, but he's GETTING A VASECTOMY ON FRIDAY. Go big or go home, right? Wish Tyler luck on his snip-snip!!!
Are there any qualities in your siblings you admire?

Do you cheer loudly at races?

Does your partner have a vasectomy? Did you get your tubes tied? SPILL!

25 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing race for Tyler and that is wonderful that you are so very supportive for being there for him! It's really nice to see how close you are with your family. I admire my sisters so much for many reasons. My middle sister is navigating life with her 12 year old after her husband died suddenly 2 years ago. Talk about strong and brave. I cheer so loud at races (at any event really) and when Kyle was in cross country I would get really choked up....especially at the kiddos coming in last! Those, to me, are the real champions because you can see how much pain they are in but they KEEP GOING. Rick took one for our team about 6 years ago (thanks Rick). Tell Tyler, NBD and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sister is strong and brave. I can't even wrap my mind around that.

      I bet if you and I cheered at a race together people would tell us to keep it down! I just don't understand people that just stand there and don't make some nose!

      Delete
    2. ..and I would not even care! People should be cheering and cheering loud--especially for the kids!!

      Delete
  2. So awesome that you were able to spectate and cheer him on! Congrats to Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you are such a good sister! I find cheering at races to be so invigorating! I almost always cry because I am so in Aww of the accomplishment and know how great it feels so I am so happy for the runners! Congrats Tyler!

    Is the Harrisburg Marathon a stand alone race or are there other races with it like a 5K or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only other option is the relay. I think a lot of people do the relay.

      Delete
  4. I don't even have to be at a race in person to get inspired. I love watching races on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've only ever watched Boston on TV, but it was super inspiring!

      Delete
  5. I love that you are so supportive of your brother! He did such a great job! And Wendy's sounds like the perfect post meal. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brother is very driven! that's amazing! I'm glad you got to see him and cheer him at so many different points!

    Watching people cross the finish line at the marathon was pretty amazing!! I saw a few people breakdown crying, it was very moving.

    I have too many siblings to list what I love about each of them, so I'm going to say that I love them for who they are. We all get into fights, and argue but at the end of the day, we got each other's back.

    I wish your brother a quick and easy recovery! and ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I didn't see anyone cry. That definitely would have made me cry too. How many siblings do you have?

      Delete
    2. I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers.

      Delete
  7. Will you laugh at me if I told you I cried reading this... I remember Tyler as that little blonde headed boy... Congrats to Tyler! You guys will always be family to me... On a side note, I cried when I finished my first half the minute I crossed the finish line. If I ever attempt a full, I am sure I will be a blubbering mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not laugh, I think that is sweet!!! :) I'm glad I typed this out and could share it with you.

      Delete
  8. Killer blog, Megan. Too bad my phone crapped out or we could have gotten a pic together. I had to get a new one. Thanks for coming out and cheering.

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Tyler!! Great job on getting it done!! I too have tears spectating races. How can you not? It's so emotional! It is very hard to figure out what to say to people though - I'm not sure what I even like to hear when I'm having a rough time running! No one has responded on the reproductive question... no, and no for us! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAY TO GO TYLER! Incredible to run a marathon when you're sick and on little sleep... I stand in awe!

    Megan, you are for sure the best spectator there is. Last December being around you made me want to be a better spectator at that race and for the rest of my life!

    Adam and I have discussed a vasectomy. I offered to get my tubes tied but the vasectomy is a much easier procedure. I've been thinking about getting my tubes tied since I was like 18! People always told me "oh you're going to want kids later don't do it" and I kept an open mind even though I doubted it, but now at 30 I am sure it's not happening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man really!? I was probably holding back too, as to not seem overly crazy in front of you, whom I just met! :)

      Vasectomy is definitely easier than the tubes being tied. From the first hand accounts I have heard, a vasectomy involves a bag of frozen peas and for tubes tied you are laid up for days!

      Delete
  11. Ewww that sounds painful. I would have never guessed a hysterectomy would be easier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY Congrats Tyler!!! I love spectating races, especially marathons. It is SO rewarding and makes me emotional, too. It sounds like Tyler ran a smart, strong race!!

    ReplyDelete