A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Hike to Hawk Rock

Yesterday, Paul and I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful fall weather and scenery here in PA, so we decided to go for a hike. Our friend Heather recommended Hawk Rock because there probably wouldn't be hunting around there. I still wore bright colors... I wasn't taking any chances!


The trail head was very easy to find. After getting off the Duncannon exit, you go past Maguire Ford and follow the signs for the recycling place. There is a big parking lot and it's clearly marked.


Volunteers with the Duncannon Appalachian Trail Community had free cookies and cider and were taking donations. I thought that was a great idea! Many people want to support the protection of the trail, and with a tent set up right at the trail head, it was an easy way to do it!


The hike to Hawk Rock is about .8 miles up the side of the mountain on the Appalachian Trail. We were promised a beautiful vista at the top. I had run this section of the trail several years ago, but coming from the other direction.


I only have one speed when I am on a hiking mission: FULL THROTTLE. I'm not a leisurely hiker. We powered up the trail, taking about two water breaks. It was rocky at some sections and steep at other sections. Total moving time to the vista was about 25 minutes.



Then we were presented with this view!




That landscape behind us is SO "PA".

We continued on the trail for a little bit at the top of the mountain. It was flat and sunny.


I was dreading the way back down as sometimes my knees hurt, but they surprisingly didn't bother me! We took a lot more pictures on the way back down because I wasn't on a mission.




 


When we were almost at the bottom, we ran into Heather and her family! Heather and I connect on Snapchat and Facebook and rarely have face to face encounters. She is so funny and charming. I wish we got to hang out more often!


This was the first time I met her family! Although her daughter Sage sings to me on Snapchat...


All in all, it was a great hike on a gorgeous day! I hope you get to try this hike sometime!

Have you ever hiked to Hawk Rock?
Where are the best places to hike near you?
Are you a leisurely hiker or are you on a mission?

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful hike! Looks amazing. I do have to force myself to slow down when I hike because I am used to clocking in a 14 minute mile when I walk Ms. Macy. As you know, the places to hike around here are numerous and very close to me. Sadly, I don't hike much because going up hill really aggravates my hamstring/hip area. We do spend a lot of time in the mountains, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 14 min miles is no joke! I remember that hiking aggravates your hammy. :( Does hiking slower bother it? What if it is flat?

      Delete
    2. Flat trails all day long, girl! Hard to find in this area, though.

      Delete
  2. OMG you and Adam should hike together. His only speed is full throttle, and he's super competitive so it's really full throttle + turbo. If it took you 25 mins yesterday I bet the two of you would push each other to make it up in 10 mins! O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Tell Adam if you guys every visit us in PA, I will race him to Hawk Rock! I have a feeling he may win since his legs are a lot longer... but if I am allowed to RUN then I would probably win. Because I don't think Adam runs??? Although he sounds highly competitive so I know competitiveness can make up for a lot!

      Delete
    2. Adam doesn't like running but he's pretty good at it (which is very frustrating to me, haha). The few times a year that he does decide he wants to run he easily knocks out a 24 minute 5K on the treadmill wearing a sweatshirt (for extra heat? IDK why he wears a sweatshirt). I think his cardio is super good from doing MMA. He has never run uphill though so you would have an advantage for sure. I think you would definitely win in a race, but he would keep it interesting :) I'd make it to Hawk Rock about an hour later :D

      Delete
    3. No you would not, Ms. I squat anot enormous amount of weight. you'd be 5 min behind us without even running and would not have even broken a sweat!

      Delete
  3. That looks like a great place to hike! We were stuck indoors for most of Saturday, but we did get out to enjoy the beautiful weather on Sunday. It's so pretty out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! this is such a great view! I have been wondering what this trail was called, but never looked it up. Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete