A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A deer kicked my headlight. (Don't worry, this is a happy ending and safe for animal lovers to read.)

On Friday night, Paul and I drove to Middletown to pick up Bob and Rachel. We were going to the Moo Duck Brewery in Elizabethtown for dinner and drinks.

I picked up our friends without a hitch, but as I was merging onto 283 there was an... incident. I wasn't going more than... 25-30mph(!?!?) as there was a curve in the road, it was dark, and I am usually a pretty safe driver especially when other people are in the car. So luckily, when I saw a deer right in the middle of the road, I was easily able to slow down even more.

The deer ran off into a large grassy area between the on ramp, off ramp, and highway. I looked over at him because I was worried. I didn't want him to run onto 283! He just stood in the grasss. This all happened in a matter of about four seconds.

Then I hit something. I didn't SEE anything, but somehow I hit something!

"Did I hit a deer??? Did I hit a deer???" I cried.

As I think back, it was all a blur. The four of us were totally fine and there wasn't a car behind me. I was just so worried I hit a deer. Paul, Rachel, and Bob told me the deer literally jumped in front of my car and when he landed, he must have hit the side of my car with his foot or something, because he didn't get knocked down. He continued running into the grassy area with the other deer.

I was so hoping they weren't lying to me. I demanded they tell me they weren't lying and that there wasn't a dead deer on the side of the road. I made them promise MULTIPLE times they weren't lying. They assured me that the deer probably wasn't hurt as he simply kept running. But we definitely felt something. I hit the deer somehow.

As I pulled into the brewery, I told them that there better not be blood on the hood of my car, and if there was, I would know that they were lying to me. It turns out, the only thing wrong with my car was a crack in the headlight. So it seems like they told me the truth.

You could say I hit a deer or you could say a deer kicked my headlight. However you want to put it.



Now the only question is, how long can I put off getting my cracked headlight fixed?

The natural question at the end of this post would be, "Did you ever hit a deer?" But... I DON'T WANT TO KNOW IF YOU HIT A DEER OR NOT!

So instead, just tell me how long I can put off the headlight thing.

22 comments:

  1. O wow, so there were two deer that were crossing and you saw one get to safety and the other joined him and kicked your light in the process?

    I would say you could get away with the cracked headlight until you have to get your car inspected. But since winter is coming I would worry about precipitation getting inside your light and with the cold weather eventually coming I would worry your light would crack more. Can you go to a quick place like advanced Auto and have them switch it out? Glad you are all okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point! See, I don't think about things like that. I could go to Jiffy Lube, they are very nice and I'm sure they'd fix it.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, how scary. I'm so glad this wasn't worse. Deer are SO unpredictable. Knock wood, no deer hit here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are. I asked my friends why they are so sketchy, and they said because it's mating season?

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad every one is okay including both deer!

    I've never had a cracked headlight but it seems like any easy thing to fix? I bet you could get it done in a few minutes at an autoshop. Do you happen to need an oil change? If so maybe you could combine the two into one visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is an easy fix and Jiffy Lube is very close to my house and they are friendly. That's a good idea, I will see how my oil is!

      Delete
  4. One time we were driving to Wisconsin and a deer ran in front of us. On the highway. We were going about 70 mph. I don't know how we didn't hit it. Whew. Glad nothing worse happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I am so glad you didn't hit it because you could have gotten hurt!

      Delete
  5. Crazy story. Clay hit one in his truck back in college, on his way to a final exam (this was like, 2005). He had to stop and get the deer off the truck so he could get to school and showed up for class/test all bloody. We lived in a rural area so it made for some interesting animal sightings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gotten a squirrel, but there wasn't anything I could do about it. Thankfully the suburbs don't have big animals, but I drive slower at night. Coyotes come out then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen a coyote in the wild! Lots of dead squirrels around here. I break for squirrels.

      Delete
  7. As I told you, I do have a horrific deer story, but I'm not going to tell you about it.

    In a different story, We saw a deer about a month ago... everybody was safe... we were driving back from Ricket's Glenn and I saw a shadow move from the corner of my eye, and I stepped on the break. It was right by the 322 / 81 intersection, by the Wendys. I stopped and the deer stared at the car, then ran in front of us. I didn't move the car until it was gone.

    Do you have those deer alert things? my dad gave all my sisters a set, but not me. He must not like me as much as he loves them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, where did that deer come from?? Are there woods near there?

      I never even heard of a deer alert. I will be googling that... Maybe your dad just thinks you're a better driver than your sisters. ;)

      Delete
  8. We have one yearly too. I get mine inspected in April, so that's still a way aways!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew - that was close! So glad you did not get a deer on your windshield or hood! We see a lot of deer around here but they have never been close to my car (fingers crossed). I wouldn't hold off too long on your headlight. Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always worry about hitting a deer especially near where my parents live. One time we were driving up I-95 and a deer ran across like 5 lanes of traffic! Rob was driving and was luckily able to safely avoid hitting it Glad you are all ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! That sounds scary with the deer running into so much traffic. :(

      Delete
  11. I'm not sure if you ever watched Gilmore Girls but there's an episode where a deer runs INTO Rory's car while she's at a stop sign on her way to school. And she tries to explain that she didn't hit the deer, it hit her, and no on believed her. (It was fine - it ran off into the woods!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried Gilmore Girls back in the day but I just couldn't get into it. That is funny though that the deer hit HER. I bet you are having fun binge watching!

      Delete