A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Weekly Workout Recap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I only ran 20 miles this week since my knee started bothering me. It's very frustrating because I feel like I was seeing a lot of progress. Oh well. I am hoping if I am diligent with my exercises and lay off the running a bit (starting Monday haha) I may see some improvement.

I am happy that I had some great lifting sessions. I am so glad running isn't the only thing that makes me feel the burn!


3/28- I literally ran the block around my house about 20 times. I wasn't sure how my leg was going to hold up... I had a weird pain in it a couple days before. Luckily, I made it 5 miles and the weird pain did not come back. Hopefully it was just a fluke!



3/29- I went to the gym and lifted some HEAVY SHIT!


3/30- Early morning 5 miler. It was WARM out. And when I say warm, I mean like 29 degrees!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...3/31- Lifting at home. I did not want to get out of my PJs but I did. When I do chest at home, I have sort of changed my strategy. Instead of doing more exercises (like including lateral raises and tricep dips) with less sets, I am now doing just the BIG exercises and more sets. I am enjoying it for now. And really, what's more beneficial... a couple push ups and a couple tricep dips, or a crap ton of push ups? A crap ton of push ups, of course.


4/1- Another morning run. It was freezing! Spring, oh where oh where are you? Oh, and I was really sluggish...

4/2- I did NOT feel like going to the gym. I wanted to just lift at home. But I knew I would get a better back workout if I had the cable machines and dumbbells Planet Fitness has, so I sucked it up an drove five looooooooooong minutes to the gym...



4/3- I had a FABULOUS trail run, which I will post more about in a few days. But it felt so good to be back in nature!

Do you like to do more exercises with less sets, or do you like to do more sets of the exercises you find most beneficial to you?

15 comments:

  1. I like to do more reps of less exercises.
    Right now, I do 5 exercises only then about 20 sun salutations and call it good.
    Today I am starting TRX so that should be interesting....

    Glad you had an awesome trail run. Looking forward to the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a video on FB yesterday with these crazy girls doing CRAZY stuff on TRX and I wanted to post the link on here but it is not on youtube. They were jumping and flying all around. They made it look easy but I am sure it was hard.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I am keeping it very basic right now, but I am sure things can get a little crazy on it. I love the TRX so far. Kind of "excited" to see if I am sore tomorrow (does that at all make sense?!?).

      Delete
  2. I like to do less reps of more exercises...I have a really hard time staying focused and figuring out how many of everything I should do when I lift on my own. So I usually just end up doing a whole bunch of different exercises. Sorry to hear that your knee started bothering you again. It looks like you have continued to be so smart about the mobility stuff so thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle to find rhyme or reason for the pain. I know we talked about this before. :) This morning it feels great. Go figure. Wtf???? Here is a tip about reps if you're training or overall muscle strength and endurance- Aim for about 12 reps of each exercise. The last 2-3 reps should be difficult. Once they are no longer difficult, up the weights a little.

      Delete
  3. I have to tell you a little short story: Yesterday when I took a day off from running I decided to do some core and upper body work. My plan was to go to the gym but then I figured I'd fall into the trap of using either the treadmill, bike or elliptical so I said I'd stay home. But of course when the time came to do the at home exercises I felt lazy and the couch was calling me to watch Tv. I thought about all the at home workouts you do and that motivated me to work out. :D So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! That happened to me a few times this week... I didn't feel like doing something and then I thought of a particular blogger and I was like- no, I am going to DO this. Sometimes I really do not feel like lifting at home and I do it in my PJs. It is like my little deal with myself. I'll workout, but I'm not getting out of my jammies. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have some good runs this week, but I'm sorry that your knee is bothering you again! I know that all kinds of recovery take time and you have to keep being patient I know that it's frustrating every time there is a setback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. It always helps to remember recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. :) It is also a wake up call to not get lazy about my rehabbing.

      Delete
  5. Such a bummer about the knee bothering you again. I hope a couple of days of rest from running will have you back on track. My doctor didn't see anything wrong with my hip and just referred me to PT. It's actually feeling A LOT better these days I think just from stretching at home.

    I like to do less reps. It's very rare to find me ever doing anything more than 8 reps... even 8 is a stretch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have noticed that from your workouts. I should mix it up more than I do and do a random day of low reps, high weight.

      Delete
  6. Sorry you had to drop your mileage down some - hopefully the knee pain goes away soon!
    I actually like both options for lifting at different times:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today it feels great, but I have found that there is little rhyme or reason as to when it feels good and when it feels crappy- except for lifting lower body. It DEFINITELY hurts after that!

      Delete
  7. Aw thanks Karen! It feels great today! Wish I could find a pattern...

    I had a lighter day the other day cause I felt a twinge in my back. It disappeared so today I tried to go heavy and only do 6-8 reps. I think it is good to change it up- gotta do that more!

    ReplyDelete