A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Something VERY strange happened last week...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Something very strange happened last week. On Tuesday, Paul left the house at 7:00 am to go to Virginia with his family. They were staying overnight and would come home the following evening. I left the house at 7:15 am for work. Right before I left, I fed the cats. We keep their food and bowls on the dresser in our bedroom. I filled each bowl with 2 tbsp of dry food and set them on the floor. The cats ran in and started eating. When I left the house, they were still in the bedroom eating their food out of their bowls… which were on the floor.

When I got home from work on Tuesday, I knew I would have to quickly feed the cats before my first piano student arrived. (Normally Paul feeds them, but he was gone, remember?) I unlocked the door, quickly set my bags on the counter, and herded the cats into the bedroom for their food. I started filling their bowls, which were on the dresser. It only took about 3 seconds for me to realize… Wait a minute… why are the bowls on the dresser!? When I left this morning, they were on the floor!

I was extremely freaked out. Had Paul forgotten something that morning and come back to the house? Did he put the bowls on the dresser? Had he scheduled for a friend or neighbor to feed the cats during the day and just didn’t tell me? Or… was it something… else?

Let me just say that I absolutely do NOT believe in ghosts, but I was still freaked out! I called Paul. Not only did he not come back to the house after he left, but he did not ask anyone to feed the cats during the day. HOW THE HECK DID THE BOWLS GET BACK UP ON THE DRESSER?

I didn’t dare post about the incident on Facebook because the last time I posted about something strange going on in my house (we smelled cigarette smoke on 3 different occasions one weekend even though none of the windows were open), everyone who commented on my status said it was a ghost. This surprised me. I didn’t know so many people believed in ghosts! But they do. According to a poll I read on the Huffington Post, 45% of people believe in ghosts. That’s a lot.

Even though I don’t believe in ghosts, the thought of there being ghosts scares the crap out of me! I was mad that I had to spend the night alone in my house, but I made it through alive with no other weird activity. I chose to believe that I was the one that moved the bowls. I must have been so rushed when I got home from work that I didn't remember what I had done 2 seconds before. I think it is more likely that I had a brain fart than that there is a ghost in my house that stayed dormant for 6 years and finally decided to come out last Tuesday to move the cat food bowls.

I want to tell you why I don’t believe in ghosts. For all the ghost stories I have ever heard, I feel like there are several other more PROBABLE explanations for the strange occurrence other than it being a ghost. I know believing in ghosts is fun, but I think a lot of people jump to conclusions. Those are my own personal reasons. But that’s me. I am a skeptic. It is hard for me to believe in something in which there is no scientific evidence.

That being said… I LOVE THE PARANORMAL ACTIVITY MOVIES!!! They freak me out. And I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever watch one at home by myself. EVER. One of the scariest parts in the movies is where the wife gets out of bed in the middle of the night and just STARES at the husband while he sleeps... for several hours. Check it out.


Omg I have chills just looking at this.

I told Paul that if I ever wake up and he is standing at the side of the bed staring at me, I will flip out. FLIP OUT, I tell you!

When doing research on ghosts (I know, I'm a nerd!) I found a new pod cast to check it! It's called Skeptoid. It's free on iTunes. So far I have listened to some interesting Skeptoid episodes about the Bermuda Triangle, Princess Diana's death, the fallibility of our memories, and of course... ghosts! (Spoiler Alert: The Skeptoid does not believe in ghosts. SHOCKER!)

Why do you/don't you believe in ghosts?
Do you have a ghost story to share with us?

Is there a movie that you WILL NOT WATCH when you are home alone?

22 comments:

  1. Hey Megan! You are right in that the most likely explanation is that you had a brain fart and put the bowls back. You are an extremely busy lady and probably do many, many things on automatic. Having said that, I do believe in ghosts. I do not think it is as simple as saying one believes in ghosts but is does clarify where one is on the thought. I do not see any of those paranormal movies nor do I watch movies like The Exorcist. I do not like to be scared. I even change the channel or cover my eyes when commercials for movies like this come on TV. Life, spiders and raising two children are enough to keep my heart rate up ;) Not to worry....if you have ghosts, I am sure they are just hanging out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ghost I wouldn't mind seeing in my house is the ghost of our Late, Great, Basey Girl :) She can visit me any time she wants!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that might freak me out a bit too! I don't watch any scary movies or shows/movies on paranormal activity but I do believe it ghosts. Rick and I feel we've had a ghost in both houses we lived in. In our current house, there is a light in the kitchen that will come on by itself. Most likely a short but when it's on I say "hi mom". I just tell myself it's her way of saying hi. After Jason died this summer (my sister's husband) the other light started doing it too. So now it that one comes on I say "hi Jason".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did you think you had ghosts in the houses you lived in? Do you think some people can see/sense ghosts and others can't? Because that is a questions skeptics put forth. Like many people go their whole lives never experiencing a ghost, then there are others like you who have had several encounters.

      Delete
    2. We always heard so many noises and found things out of place. And, in our current house, it's the lighting. I have no idea if that is actually true but we just believe they are ghosts of our loved ones and we always just say "hi":

      Delete
  3. I have A LOT of movies that I will not watch on my own--I am a wimp.
    Do I believe in ghosts? I don't know. I wouldn't rule it out! I think so I don't get scared I will call them angels... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG we are basically the same person.

    "Even though I don’t believe in ghosts, the thought of there being ghosts scares the crap out of me! I was mad that I had to spend the night alone in my house"

    THIS. This. this. this.

    The last time Adam went away for work something very strange happened to me too. I always double check that the back sliding glass door is locked before I leave the house. I'm anal about it. Well on the first day he was gone I came home from work and noticed the backdoor was UNLOCKED! Adam had left before me that day and I distinctly remembered locking the door. Did a ghost do it or did someone break into my house and not steal anything?! I was so freaked out I didn't sleep all night even though I don't believe in ghosts and the idea that someone broke in and didn't take anything is just too weird to be true!

    I won't watch any scary movies period. After SAW (the first one) I completely swore off scary movies and haven't watched one since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg those Saw movies are TERRIBLE. So graphic. I can't watch gore anymore. It used to not bother me (I actually LOVED horror movies) but now it does.

      The story about the sliding glass door is very scary! My first inclination would be that someone broke in. But then why wouldn't they take anything? Or maybe you THOUGHT you locked it, but unlocked it? Who knows. Our memories are SO fallible. I listened to a pod cast about memory the other day and they said something like "The first thing you brain is inclined to do with information is forget it." As in... we are taking in so much info every second of every day that we just have to discard most of it. I probably discarded the memory of picking up the bowls. I had so much on my mind and my brain didn't need the memory so out it went.

      Delete
  5. HOT sparkly vampires??? ;)

    ID channel is real life actual crime. I agree, that stuff is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the conjuring might be my favorite movie of all time. you should watch it sometime when paul isn't home. i was scared to go in my basement for about a month.

    -little brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw that one! IT WAS VERY SCARY. A lot like the Paranormal Activity movies. Have you seen those?

      Delete
  7. It surprises me too that so many adults believe in ghosts. I don't, for the same reasons as you: I think there is always an explanation that people either don't consider or don't want to believe. I guess we'll never really know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think many people WANT to believe in ghosts. But hey, it doesn't hurt anything, right?

      Delete
  8. Maybe the cats moved the dishes:)
    I don't know that I believe in ghosts but I think that there are very odd happenings a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was SO hoping you had a logical explanation at the end of this post as to why the bowls were moved...lol. I hate when that kind of stuff happens. Makes you think you're loosing your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I think the logical explanation is that I moved them and forgot. :( I was in a rush when I got home. Last night, I was laying in bed messing on my phone and I set my alarm. Then like 10 seconds after I did it I was like... wait, did I set my alarm or was that last night???

      Delete
  10. I am such a pansy. I can't even watch scary movies when I know I will have someone in the house with me. When I am home alone, I stick to funny, uplifting stuff. Then, every single noise I here is a murderer coming in through my window to get me. Even though I have two dogs who won't let the doorbell ring on the TV without barking. And I am well aware that intruders come into people's houses more often in the day time, so I should feel more afraid being home alone during the day. I swear, I am usually a logical person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same mindset. I have no worries about leaving my windows open in my house if I run to the store during the day. I guess I should thing twice! Paul thinks I am crazy for leaving the front windows open, but I always say, "who is going to climb through our front windows in front of the whole neighborhood?"

      Delete
  11. I don't believe in ghosts either. I don't believe in an afterlife, so I can't believe in ghosts. I think you KUST have moved the bowls and forgotten. I've done that before...like with locking a door or flushing the toilet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe in an afterlife either. So yeah that definitely makes it hard to believe in ghosts!

      Delete