A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Bookmark this post. You need to bookmark this post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I just took 10 days off from running!

No, it was not fun. Yes, it was good for me.

And... I may take a couple more days off since I am on a roll! (And I am sick... imagine that, it is easier to not run when you are sick as a dog!)

***You need to bookmark this post so you can read it the next time you know you need a running break and don't want to take one. Whether you need a day, a week, or even a month off running... SAVE THIS TO READ!***


1. You are still a runner.

2. It does not matter how many miles you ran/didn't run this week.

3. Think about the months and years you have dedicated to running. You are not going to "lose" all of it but taking some time off.

4. Life is long. Do you want to run for the rest of your life? Then you better take care of your body.

5. There are 1,000 other ways to move your body and stay in shape besides running. Yoga, pilates, walking, lifting, cycling, spinning, kick boxing... the list goes on and on.

6. Think about the reason you need to take a break. If you know a break from running is something you will benefit from, then DO IT.

7. Write out a workout schedule for during the time you aren't running. Be creative and have a PLAN. Because if you don't have a plan, you may just grab your running shoes and give in to temptation. 

8. Or... give your running shoes to a trusted friend so you cannot cheat in a weak moment.

9. Remember that rest gives your muscles time to REBUILD. There is no point in tearing your muscles down unless you are going to give them time to repair and become stronger.

10. Your worth/merit/reputation as a runner is not defined by how many miles you ran today. 

Leave some motivation in the comments! Can you add some tough love!?

21 comments:

  1. Thank you, Meg. Such important reminders. I think as runners being injured WILL be part of it. It just will. So accepting that it's "your turn" and doing all you can to stay motivated and positive will help to ease the pain and frustration of taking a break from it. When I am injured I like to focus even more on eating a clean diet! Also, I make my "back to running plan" since I can't take a break and then jump right back into it. I have to ease into it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a REALLY good point Susan. Because I know when I take my first run I am going to want to go do 10 miles! But that probably isn't a good idea. I should ease back in with a back to running plan. As always, thanks for your input and expertise!

      Delete
  2. Great reminders! And your title definitely caught my attention:) I think I have definitely learned that its better to take time off before things get bad. I hope that you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. :) I know I have learned that once you take some time off it is NOT the end of the world and quite soon you become okay with it. Maybe you're not okay with it every minute of the day, but you're okay for the most part because you know the road is always there and it's not like you'll never run again.

      Delete
  3. The simple fact that taking a break SUCKS is proof that you're a runner! Non-runners don't have all these hang ups about taking breaks!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reminded of this way too much lately! I start feeling better and thing I want to go try a run, but I really know I shouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't give into temptation. I was going to take a week but now I am on somewhat of a roll, especially with not feeling well. Today is Day 11. Part of me thinks I should just go for the whole 2 weeks!

      Delete
  5. Good post! I love the clickbaity headline. Well played!

    I recently read an article that I felt like was speaking directly to me, about cross training for runners and how to get over your hatred of it. One of the important things I took away from it is that it helps to have goals in your cross training, just like having goals in your running helps you stick with it. It's one of those things that I'm like "why didn't someone tell me this sooner?" People just tell you to cross train but don't really tell you enough how to be successful at it. Just like this post is good information about how to actually be successful at taking a running break instead of just telling people they should and expecting them to understand why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read that article if you still have the link handy! Having cross training goals certainly does make sense. If I could "make" a runner do any cross training I wanted, I would make them lift! It is so helpful and so easy to set goals.

      Delete
    2. Found it! http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2015/04/27/part-i-how-to-become-a-faster-runner-through-cross-training/

      Delete
  6. YEEEESSSSSSSSSS. So much yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One day at a time could be #11! Thanks, Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing Meg! My knee has been causing me some problems since the Boston Marathon and I know I need to take a break. I really liked your point about committing all these years to running and then realizing that you are not going to "suddenly" lose all of your running fitness. I really like number eight! Giving your running shoes to a friend LOL. I might just do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry your knee is bothering you. I hope you are being "good" and taking a break! You just freaking ran a PB and knee problems or no knee problems, the best thing you can do after such an amazing athletic feat is give your body some rest and TLC. You can send me your running shoes. My address is on whitepages.com ;)

      Delete
  9. On Monday I started feeling a little twinge in my left hip again. I am NOT about to let the bursitis come back in full force so even though I planned to increase mileage this week, I'm actually decreasing it again. This time I am going to wait until I don't feel a damn thing in my hips. I need to keep reminding myself that feeling 99% better isn't 100%!

    It helps to know that you have been taking a break from running too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for taking control! I should add that one- take control when you can, rather than when you are FORCED to, you know? You guys have great input, I may need to edit my post to include it all!

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for this! I am so struggling with not running. I dropped from 60 mile weeks to 25 mile weeks and that is incredibly hard. I know I need to just take two whole weeks off of running, but I literally can't stop myself. Even my runner friends are telling me to stop running for awhile. But, I am an addict and I just can't stop! I am proud of you. That is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. :( I wish it was easier for you to take a break.

      Delete