A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thinking Out Loud #9 - Elementary School Memories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Thank you to Amanda @ Running With Spoons for this Thinking Out Loud link up! Honestly, I was debating on whether to link up this week because I am not feeling particularly random at all. However, I think I can deliver! 

I teach at an elementary school, but sometimes I forget what it is like to be a kid. So I decided to share some random elementary school memories with you. I have a lot of memories from grades K-5, but I just wrote about whatever popped into my head. 

Enjoy!!


Thinking-Out-Loud



Kindergarten (1987)- I remember so many RANDOM things from kindergarten. I remember playing in the pretend kitchen with the girls while the boys played Ghostbusters. I also remember when we all had to get a TB shot from the nurse- in front of EVERYONE. She came to our classroom with her cart of shots and called us up one by one. A girl named Amber hid behind a desk in hopes no one would see her and she wouldn't get a shot. (It didn't work.) When I got my shot, I said, "Ouch!" and that was it. I was nervous that it would hurt really bad and I would cry, but I kept my shit together.

First Grade (1988)- We actually had computers in first grade and we got to take turns staying in from recess to play educational games. We LOVED playing Word Munchers. One time, a boy named Bill took the floppy disk out of the computer in the middle of my game so it would end. I was so mad!


Second Grade (1989)- We watched a lot of movies in second grade. There were only 3 second grade classes, so the teachers would herd us all into one classroom to watch whatever movie we were watching that week. One movie was The Little Mermaid. It must have just come out and I hated it and did not want to watch it. I ended up loving it, of course. We also watched a couple episodes of Rescue 911. I am pretty sure that is why I love Forensic Files and Dateline now!


Third Grade (1990)- We had a THIEF in our third grade classroom! Someone stole my silly putty. Someone stole my friend Ashley's unicorn bookmark. Someone stole our class's multiplication rap cassette tape. Apparently, the thief liked to hide certain things as well, because our teacher ended up finding the cassette tape. Mrs. Miller said to us, "I will not tell you where I found it... but it was in a very, very good spot." Twenty-four years later, I am still dying to know where that cassette tape was hidden!

Fourth Grade (1991)- I did something really mean in 4th grade. When I was correcting a girl's math notebook in my class (you know how teachers had you switch papers and grade each other's?), I marked all her wrong answers with a big red marker. And she got A LOT wrong. Then I wrote a huge F on top. I don't know why I did this! That was so mean of me! She cried when I gave it to her. I didn't care that she was crying, but I did care that she could possibly tell the teacher and I would get in trouble. I know that sounds terrible, but it's the truth. She didn't tell the teacher so I got away with it. But dang, that was a close one. I of course look back now and wonder why I was so mean to her that day, because I was not a mean little kid!


Fifth Grade (1992)- I hated my fifth grade teacher. One of the reasons was because she banned me from using the glue. See, I used too much glue for one of my projects (not on purpose, I just wasn't good at projects), and she got really annoyed and banned me from the glue for the rest of the year.  She also had a Time Out chair. Yes, in FIFTH GRADE we had a Time Out chair. If I did that to my 2nd graders they would laugh at me...



Alright my readers, go ahead and share some elementary school memories with me! Think out loud!


25 comments:

  1. Hahha you're hilarious. What a mean little 4th grader you were. I always loved correcting other people's papers though...I don't know why. I do remember computers and the cool games we got to play.. hmmm what else? Recess. All the cool kids played kickball but I didn't like to because I'm not sporty but I did sometimes just to fit in. OHhhhh goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting to correct papers! Now as a teacher, it is boring. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh -- I remember all these things! Floppy disks, Silly Putty, Rescue 911… I actually used to watch that show religiously, and I'm pretty sure it caused me to become a little bit of a hypochondriac. Also… why on earth would you ban someone from glue? Lol. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, girl! Always fun to reminisce about that kind of stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think she thought it was going to be this terrible punishment, but I didn't really care at all because I HATED art projects. I was just mad that she was mad about something so stupid!!

      Delete
  3. Word munchers and number munchers were the best games!! :)

    I went through a mean phase in elementary school that I look back on and am not proud of at all. I guess the beauty of Myspace (back in the day) was that two of the girls I was mean to friended me on there and I got a chance to apologize to them.

    One thing I HATED about elementary school was when my math teachers would make us go up to the board and solve math problems. I was SO BAD at math and would get so nervous ... I think it's evil to make students do that. So embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome you got to apologize to those girls. I guess we can all be mean at some point for no good reason! I remember solving problems on the board as well. I was not good at math but never got embarrassed. I'd be embarrassed now, though!

      Delete
  4. I had 3 best friends, one of whom was such a little instigator, in my preschool class when we were 4. There were 2 little boys named Mike and 2 little Adams and the little instigator convinced us all to go and kiss one on the lips at the same time. My preschool teacher didn't know what to do when 8 of her 15ish kids suddenly were kissing. And of course, right after we did, we ran away. One of the boys (who my friend Meg kissed) actually cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!! How young for your first kiss! I don't know what I would do either if half my class started kissing. I'd have a lot of parents to call. Actually, maybe I'd pawn that job off on my principal. hehehe. Good story!

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite elementary school memories was in the 5th grade when we put on the play A Christmas Carol. I think I figured out then I love performing, even though I had a small role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I loved plays as a kid too but only the "high" reading groups got to do them.

      Delete
  6. We used to get to play educational games on the computers too. Although, my friends and I definitely snuck Snood at any possible moment. This was an awesome Thinking Out Loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snood is soooooooooo addicting! I didn't discover that until college!

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you remember something from every year! My memory is terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember A LOT more! I remember tons of random things from childhood but ask me about college and I can't remember that...

      Delete
  8. It's weird to some of my teacher friends how much I remember from elementary, middle, and high school. Is it because I'm still young? But I seriously remember sooo many details. In third grade during a test, one of my classmates barfed on his desk and (although he's now married to one of my best friends haha) we still remember him for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol poor guy!!! I remember more from Elem than HS isn't that weird?

      Delete
  9. I remember like it was yesterday... I was in third grade in Mrs. McIntosh room. I was bent over at our cubbyholes and all of a sudden someone stuck a sharp pencil point in my butt check. Ouch, did it ever hurt! I was wearing a pink pair of those stretch pants with the elastic the went around your heal. I also remember who the bad a** culprit was too. Oh the things we remember!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love how you remember exactly what you were wearing when you got the pencil to the butt cheek!

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, what a great post! LOL. This has triggered so many memories of mine it's ridiculous.

    I remember Rescue 911! I loved that show :) I also loved the Little Mermaid too.

    I had to serve a detention in first grade for punching a boy in the belly. :0 I'm not even an aggressive person. I have no idea what he did to piss me off since we were playing in the sandbox????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you were a bad ass!!! I had detention once (didn't do homework) and had to stand against the wall at recess once (accepting piggy back rides.).

      Delete
  11. I was trying to post on here this morning, but my phone was giving me a terrible time! I had everything written out but when I went to hit submit, it bounced me back to the top of the page and then I lost my write-up.

    Anyways, here goes: My uncle was the principal when I was in Elementary school, so I always felt this extra pressure to "be good." I was afraid that if I did anything wrong my uncle would find out and tell my parents. When I was in the 4th grade my classmates decided to play an April Fool's Day prank on my teacher. Someone has started the idea to play the prank by passing a note around (but of course didn't sign it). My teacher ended up finding the note and was furious. She took all of the students who said they received the note out into the hall and questioned them individually to find out who started it. Well, I was so terrified of getting in trouble for passing around a note (my parents might find out!) that I lied and said I never received it. My teacher never found out, but my friends who knew I saw the note were furious at me for the rest of the week. I still feel guilty about the whole thing just relaying the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh and your teacher of course believed you because you were such a good kid!! That must have been tough having an uncle for principal. I can sort of relate... I had no family members at my school BUT our town was sooooo small so my mom found out EVERYTHING.

      Delete
  12. This was awesome!!!!!
    I loved elementary school - I thought it was the bomb. I think that is why I became a teacher! So many fun things :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS~I want to know where that tape was hidden too :)

      Delete
    2. Right!!!??? I subbed for her once when I was right out of college. I should have asked her. :)

      Delete