This is a link up that Amanda @ Running With Spoons started. She's a cool chick! The more I read her blog, the more I realize we have a lot in common! Anyway, my third edition of Thinking Out Loud has a theme.... TEACHING.
1. I don't talk about teaching a lot on my blog. This is for a few reasons. First of all, it's a fitness blog, not a teaching blog. Second, I teach all day... I really don't want to come home and write about it. Third, I don't want to jeopardize any privacy issues, so I prefer to keep it safe. If I tell a story about work, I try to keep it very general!
2. My job: I teach music at an elementary school. This is my 9th year teaching. I teach Kindergarten - 4th grade general music as well as 4th grade chorus. After work, I teach private piano lessons at my home 3 days a week. I have 11 private students. I could have more, but you all know I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with my husband and cats, so I try not to take on too much!
The door to my classroom. Yes, I love my cats!
3. My education: I got my undergrad degree in Music Education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I earned my Master's in Educational Development and Strategies from Wilkes University.
My and my hubby this past summer in the IUP Oak Grove.
4. If I wanted to, I could work 24 hours a day and still have more to do. The thing is, the more you teach, the more you learn, and the more you realize you can keep improving upon your lessons, activities, assessments, etc. I don't work 24 hours a day. I work from 7:55am-3:40pm. Sometimes I do grades and lesson plans at home, but not regularly. I would rather work through lunch than take work home. This may make me seem like I am not dedicated. But the thing is, like I said, even if I took work home and worked all night, there would still be work to do. Teachers know what I am talking about. You have to draw the line somewhere. I love teaching, I have a great job. But I also need to step away from it. If I didn't do that, I don't think I'd be a very fun teacher in the classroom.
5. That being said, a lot of my brainstorming, reflection, and ideas happen on a run! You know how when you're running your mind just... wanders? Well most of my runs are in the morning before work. So it makes sense that my mind would wander toward the day ahead. I've had quite a few teaching "epiphanies" on a run. So while I don't take a lot of work home with me, I do take it on a run!
6. Teaching is stressful. Even teaching music. But it doesn't stress me out 24/7. If it did, I don't think teaching would be the right career for me! (Who would want a job where they're stressed 24/7!?) Here is a graph that accurately depicts my stress level at work by percentage:
7. I really believe I have one of the best jobs in the world. Above all, I get to teach kids to love and appreciate music. (At least, I hope that is what I am teaching them!)
Hanging outside my classroom.
Thinking Out Loud #2 - The Gym!
Are you a teacher? What do you teach?
What was your favorite class in school?
Do you have a job in which you take work home regularly?