A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Sunday, February 23, 2014

MEG WENT RUN! (& a travel question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Don't get too excited. It didn't go so well!

After feeling down in the dumps last week, I decided I'm going to turn over a new leaf. I'm not going to freak out about my knee. Who cares if it was aching a little and wasn't 100%? It's not supposed to be better yet. I've decided I shouldn't focus on what my knee can't do. I should focus on how it is improving and what it can do. The truth is, even though it is not 100%, it is getting better. 


For instance...

I can stretch my leg more than ever. Before, it hurt too much to bend it, put weight on it, or even let the blood flow to it. Now, I can do most of the stretches that are good for my hip flexors, hamstrings and ITB.

Because I can stretch it more, that achy feeling only comes about when my leg is still for awhile- like driving or sitting. But when I keep up with the stretches, and move it around throughout the day, it feels a lot better. I am now able to rededicate myself to stretching (2-3 times a day. Whatever it takes!) and do some exercises to take it through almost full range of motion. Wahoo!

I can do body weight squats without it hurting! This is huge!! Because they scoped under my kneecap, it hurt too much to do body weight squats. But no more! (I'm not going to start doing them regularly yet, but it's cool to know it doesn't hurt.)




With Boston less than 2 months away, and it looking less and less likely to happen for me, I decided I had to at least try running on it and see what it felt like. I needed information as to where I'm at running-wise. The only way to get that info? RUN. (PS. Doc said over a week ago it was okay to test it.)

It was a GORGEOUS 50 degrees in Central PA on Saturday. I got out my Garmin and put it on the kitchen island to charge. 

"What's your Garmin doing out? Paul asked suspiciously. 

"Ummmm..."

"I caught you!" he exclaimed.

"I'm running. Don't worry, I'm only going for five minutes," I assured him.

 "Why do you need your Garmin if you're only going for five minutes?" Paul asked.

 "So I can feel like myself again!!!"

He took a couple pre-run pictures of me. Christmas totally photo bombed.





I warmed up with a quarter mile of brisk walking. My goal was to try running, and if it felt good, stop after five minutes. If it didn't feel good, I would stop before five minutes. After my quarter mile warm up, I pushed the start button on my Garmin. "It's do or die," I said out loud. Then I corrected myself. "No, it's do or WAIT." (I like to talk to myself out loud at pivotal moments in my life.)

I ran. I ran for 27 seconds (.05 miles) before I stopped. My kneecap hurt. Not a ton, but it hurt, so I stopped. My whole left leg felt tight too. I'm sure it would have warmed up had I run longer, stopped and stretched, and then continued, but I wasn't going to run longer if my kneecap hurt. I walked .05 miles back to my house, hoping no one saw my pathetic excuse for a run.





While I am obviously disappointed that it hurt, I am happy that it was just the kneecap that hurt. They scoped behind that, and it had been really tender for awhile, so it's not crazy that it's still a little sore. My plan is to try running again in a week. Maybe that kneecap pain will be gone then!

And that's the story of the shortest run I ever did!

Here's a picture of my knee as of Saturday...



I shall never be a knee model. Oh well!


Okay all you travelers out there, I have a question!


Paul and I are going to Hawaii this summer and they keep changing our flights. It is going to take 14 hours to get from Philadelphia, PA to Kailua-Kona, HI. This is not including our travel time from where we live to the Philadelphia Airport.

Our flight leaves Philly at 6:00am... which means we'd have to get there at 4:30am... which means we'd have to leave our house at 2:30am... which means we'd have to get up at 1:30am.

Do you think we should we stay overnight near the Philly airport or just count on sleeping during some of the flights? I'll be taking Ativan to calm my nerves, so I think I will be sleepy from the drugs no matter what.

Staying the night before may seem like I no brainer, but the thing is, I don't see myself sleeping very well the night before our trip no matter what. I think I will just lay awake all night.

What do you guys think??? I never traveled across so many time zones...

22 comments:

  1. I would have definitely done what you did and go test it! I love the "What's your Garmin doing out?" question, lol. When my knee had a bone bruise a short while ago, it would be my knee cap that was hurting as well post-run.

    Lola always photo-bombs my photos too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really had my knee cap hurt before. I hope it goes away soon!

      Delete
  2. Stay in Philly the night before. You may or may not rest but you definitely will not get caught in some traffic nightmare on the Turnpike or somewhere else along the way. Staying in Philly will allow for time to shower, have a coffee and or breakfast and just be more relaxed about getting to the airport in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a good idea! Thank you. I needed to hear it from someone else.

      Delete
  3. I would stay the night before! Definitely stay the night before.

    My son is 5 months old and I've been battling some knee pain ever since i started getting back into running. This is the first week where I have felt pretty 'normal' and it conveniently coincides with the start of my half marathon training program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I hope your training goes well and your knee continues to cooperate :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're playing it so smart!! And your attitude is really commendable. Yes, they scoped behind your kneecap, so it makes sense that it'd still be sore!! Slow and steady recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I may as well have a good attitude. If I have a bad attitude, I will feel like shit. If I have a good attitude, I MIGHT still feel like shit.. or I will feel good.

      Delete
  5. Yay for your short run! I hope next week your pain will be very minimal or gone and you will have a fantastic run!
    I was going to say stay at home and just drive to the airport. I say this to save money on the hotel in case you need it for something else on your trip - like a hotel stay in another state. Is your plane stopping in Cali? This way even if you can't sleep you will be in the comfort of your own home. Plus, you will most likely fall asleep on the plane anyways - I know I always do.
    Whatever you choose - you will have an awesome vaca regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, plane stops in San Fran! I know I was leaning toward saving money buuuuuut.... it may be nice to be a mile from the airport and not worry about driving in the middle of the night, etc. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  6. Applause for stopping at 27 seconds when it hurt, instead of saying, "Whatever, it's just five minutes" and setting yourself back more. I'd definitely stay close to the airport the night before, but I cannot sleep on planes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassie! I needed to hear that! (About the running and the hotel hehe)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh! I have to give you so many props for STOPPING at 27 seconds! I would have kept going to 5 minutes. You are so crazy dedicated. It is so inspiring. I would say stay at a hotel near the airport. I am a terribly nervous flier and I take drugs before getting on and I have NEVER slept on an airplane before. Even when I flew to London, which was a 12 hour flight. I think the less stress you have about getting to the airport, the better. But that's coming from me, the most nervous wreck of a flier that ever lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel, that means a lot!!! To have someone tell me I am dedicated when I can't even run... augh, thank you! :) I am the same way flying- lots of drugs! I think we will stay close to the airport.

      Delete
  8. A new PR of 27 seconds! ;) Good for you not pushing it - serious dedication right there! My role model. Also, I would stay in a hotel near the airport...anything to make it less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that's right- next week I will shoot for 30 sec! ;)

      Delete
  9. Definitely stay in Philly. Find a hotel that will transport you to and from the airport, and let you park your car while you're gone. The room will pay for itself on the airport parking savings alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I wonder if there is a hotel that would let us keep our car there!?

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad that you got to TRY running today! Even if it was ridiculously short, I know it was a step in the right direction! And good news on my end: my leg felt a lot (not completely) better today, too! Hopefully that means I get to run soon myself! More on that later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I'm so happy your leg felt a lot better yesterday. What a good sign! :)

      Delete
  11. I've travelled many times and I've learnt my lesson - never book early flights! The hassle of having to get up early is just too much of a pain, and ends up costing more in the long run.

    I've only had a 6am flight once (although I have had a few 7ams) and funnily enough it was flying back from Hawaii to Sydney, which I think is a 15 hour flight. We stayed at an airport hotel, got there at 4am, and then found out the plane wasn't even halfway there - we were delayed by 9 hours! That was a hellish experience, especially because they almost didn't let me on the flight there (it was our honeymoon, and I hadn't yet changed my name on my passport, which conflicted with the different name on my bank card).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nightmare!! I sure hope something like that doesn't happen to us!

      Delete