A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, February 8, 2014

FUN HAWAI'I PLANS!!! (Part 1)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


I may have mentioned once or twice (or a hundred times) that we are going to Hawai'i this summer. We are SO FREAKING EXCITED because first of all, IT'S HAWAI'I (duh!!!!), but second of all, we do not travel much at all, so this is.... big. We went to San Francisco two summers ago. That was our one big vacation. Our other vacations were places we could drive to. The reasons for out lack of travel? Well, I'm scared to fly. Also, traveling is EXPENSIVE!! But we have decided it is important to us to see the world, so we shall cut back in other spending areas so we can do it.

I started doing a ton of planning a few months ago but had to step away from it. It was just so overwhelming. But these past couple weekends, I started planning again! We will be visiting The Big Island of Hawai'i in July for seven nights. Five nights will be on the western "sunny" side and two nights will be on the eastern "rainy" side. It is important to visit the rainy side as well because that's where we will get to tour some tropical rain forests, visit a black sand beach, and hit up Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park.

How did we choose The Big Island? Simple! I took this quiz: Selecting the Best Hawaiian Island for You. (Scroll down to the bottom to take the quiz.) So if you're planning to visit Hawai'i, this could be an easy way to at least narrow down what island you want!

So here is Part 1 of the exciting things I have planned for us in Hawai'i! Come July, I will hopefully have my own awesome pictures to share with you and I won't have to borrow them from the internet!


1. Helicopter Tour
Big Island Hawaii Tour

Did you know that some of the most beautiful parts of The Big Island are only accessible via helicopter? I know what you're thinking... "You're scared to fly, but you're going to take a helicopter tour!?" Augh. Yes. You see, there have been a few fatal helicopter crashes in Hawai'i, but when you break it down statistically... it's another one of those "You're more likely to get killed in a car crash on the way to helipad" type things. So I think I shall pop an Ativan (or three) and just suck it up and do it. Because I'm sure when I'm on my deathbed, I won't say, "Gee, I wish I hadn't toured Hawai'i by helicopter." That is, unless my deathbed is a helicopter crash in Hawai'i....


2. Snorkeling at Mauna Kea Beach
Source

I have never been snorkeling before, and I actually get a little bit of the heebie jeebies thinking about being so close to the marine life. I know the tropical fish and stuff will be beautiful, but I am scared that they will touch me or something. I know it's silly! But everyone says snorkeling is so cool. Paul did it when he was in the Virgin Islands with his family and loved it. So snorkeling we shall go! Since I consider us beginners, we plan to go to a nearby beach called Mauna Kea, which is apparently great for beginners!


3. Hike through Waipi'o Valley

If there is one thing I am most excited for in Hawai'i, Waipi'o Valley is it. I mean, just look at it. Gorgeous green valley, black sand beach, and do you see up in the left hand corner? That's the largest waterfall on the island- Hi'ilawe Falls, which is over 1400 feet. I really hope it rains before we go so Hi'ilawe is flowin'! We are going to hike into the valley, check out the falls and the black sand beach, and just enjoy the beautiful landscape.


4. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
big island volcano Big Island Hawaii

We can't visit The Big Island without nosing around among the active volcanoes! This will surely be the most interesting national park Paul and I have ever been to! Printing maps and driving routes is still on my to do list, but we plan to spend and entire day here.


5. Akaka Falls State Park

A short hike through tropical rain forest will take is to Akaka Falls and Kahuna Falls! Ya can't do Hawai'i without checking out some beautiful waterfalls! This beauty is another reason it will be important to visit the rainy side of the island.


In a few days, I will have Part 2 of my list!


Have you ever been to Hawai'i? Which island? (And giveme all the other details, too!!)

What was your favorite vacation ever?

24 comments:

  1. How exciting! I LOVE Hawaii and it's always been easier for me to go because twice I've stayed with someone I know in Oahu. She has since moved but I have another friend who lives there now. I've been to Maui once, Oahu twice, and the Big Island once about two years ago. I liked visiting the Kona coffee company, and also Mauna Kea, the biggest mountain on TBI and maybe all of Hawaii in general. Drive up there to see the sunset, but be careful of the altitude. You go from sea level to over 13k feet in a very short time so you might feel dizzy. I know I did, but seeing the sunset was worth it. Rent a week's worth of snorkeling gear instead of renting it daily. Just easier that way. Buy a lot of island scented lotions from the ABC stores..because once you leave Hawaii you will crave the wonderful smell of it. You will probably also want to move there, but everyone does when they visit. :) To save money, buy food at the grocery store to make your own breakfast and lunches (on most days). Food is expensive!! I've done a lot of things in Hawaii but I've never done a heli tour. So jealous! Oh, and go to a luau. We went to this one on TBI: http://www.sheratonkona.com/dining/haleo-luau-dinner-and-show They are kind of touristy but you kind of have to do it and the food is amazing. And it's fun to see all the different cultures and dancing. Ah now you got me dreaming of going back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyyyy thanks for all the tips!!! I am unable to find scuba rental prices, but I am guessing it's way cheaper to rent it for the week by what you said! That is so cool that you have been to Hawaii so many times and able to stay with friends. Maybe Paul and I should devote some time there to making new best friends who we can visit. ;) (Although the hotels are reasonably priced, it's the airfare that is craaaaaazy $$$$$$) I would love to do the Mauna Kea thing but unfortunately, my husband still suffers from seizures and I fear the altitude/dizziness could instigate something. We pan on driving past it on our trip from Hilo to Kona. I will have to google these ABC stores you speak of.... :) OH and we do plan on stopping at a grocery store on our way to our hotel to get snacks, bfast/lunch stuff. I definitely want to have some fancy meals on the beach, so it makes sense to save with the other meals. Plus, I pretty much eat all. day. long.... which could get expensive!! If you think of any other tips, let me know!

      Delete
    2. ah got it. I really enjoyed volcano national park too. the lava tubes are cool. There is a winery on the way out there we stopped at called Volcano Winery? Something like that. Don't worry about the ABC stores. They are as common as Starbucks in California...meaning they will sometimes be across the street from each other. More so in Oahu but you will find plenty of stores, and the airport has them as well.

      Delete
    3. I will have to check out that winery. I love wine. :) And the only thing that could make wine better is wine in Hawaii... :)

      Delete
  2. I have been to the Big Island many, many, many times. My family used to own a condo in Kona. I really recommend going to Kua Bay if you can. It's beautiful. I believe it is closed to traffic on Wednesdays (it might be Tuesdays), so you have to hike in, which means there are far fewer people. It's my favorite beach. Akaka Falls is beautiful, but don't expect too much of a hike. It's super short and simple. Well worth it though! My other favorite beach is White Sands. It's sandy depending on the tide. It's pretty cool. Definitely go to the Kona Brewing Company. It's delicious. My friend used to work there (her family lives there). I am so excited for you! The Big Island is one of my very favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the tips! Yes my husband wants to go to the brewery. He loves beer and he tried a Kona beer last week and loved it. :) That is so awesome you have been able to go to The Big Island so many times. To me, it's like a dream to even be able to go there once! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hush, I will plan your trip for you when you guys go. :) Unless you go to a different island... in which case you're on your own! ;)

      Delete
  4. WOW, everything looks so amazing!! For some reason I've never even really considered Hawaii as a vacation destination but now you've got my wheels turning! I bet your hikes are just going to be the best!

    I have a stupid, weird fish phobia so I definitely understand your concerns about snorkeling. The only thing I can say is Adam got me to do it in the Caribbean a couple of years ago and I do NOT regret it at all. It took me a couple of minutes to calm down with all the fish so close to me but it was so beautiful, and I eventually calmed down enough to enjoy it A LOT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh this is good news! Maybe I will enjoy snorkeling after all! The only reason I sort of had Hawaii in my mind is because recently several co workers went to Hawaii and they told me, "If you can go to Hawaii, you NEED to go to Hawaii!" Also, when my husband was going into surgery, the nurse whispered to him, "You deserve a really nice vacation for going through all this." :)

      Delete
  5. There are no helicopter crashes in Hawaii, just time warps where you end up stranded there for a few years, meet "the others," and then finally get swept away into a pit with a giant wooden wheel via a pillar of black smoke.

    LOST

    Seriously, though, those pictures are not even close to reality and even they are gorgeous. You're going to have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I'm SOOO jealous! I hope you have a great time there; well, I know you will! You can help me plan my trip when I go...eventually. I WILL make it there someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm sure it will be amazing :) I've been to Maui, Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island on a few trips to Hawaii. I enjoyed the Big Island but I'd be far more helpful with Oahu tips, my husband's family lived there for 20 years so we know all the good spots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is so cool... I would totally always want to visit my in-laws if they lived in Hawaii!!! ;) Maybe I'll hit you up for tips if we ever go back and visit Oahu. :)

      Delete
  9. I have never been to Hawaii and am totally jealous of your trip already. ;)

    It would be awesome to see an actual volcano!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know! I only have one day planned there, hopefully that is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an exciting trip you are planning! One of my goals is to visit all 50 states! I can't wait to go to Hawaii! It just seems so magical!!! You will have an awesome time for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visiting all 50 states is a great goal! I don't know if I want to go to all 50, but I certainly would like to visit a lot of them.

      Delete
  12. Oh my this is gorgeous! I would love to visit there someday. Look forward to hearing how your trip goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can't even believe a place like Hawaii exists. It is so pretty.

      Delete
  13. I'm beyond jealous! Hawaii is on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete