A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I want to be strong forever!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Before I go into the topic of this post, I just have one thing to say...



That's it.

ONWARD!!!




After only a little over 24 hours of hobbling around after I got my left knee scoped, I became very thankful for how strong the rest of my body felt. Thank goodness for the balance, stability, and strength of the rest of my body to allow me to be more independent and try to get on with my day. In the early days of my recovery from the surgery, I was unable to put all of my weight on my left leg. But I was very stable on my right leg- able to lift myself off the couch, out of bed, off the toilet, etc, just on that leg. And I wasn't scared of falling. I was fine.

I really want to be strong my whole life. Even when I'm a little old lady. I want to have balance and be able to walk and get around and take care of myself. I don't want people to have to take care of me. Heck, I didn't even like to ask Paul for help carrying my dinner into the living room for me. (When I was on crutches, I didn't have any extra hands to carry things!)

One of the most important things I have to do to stay strong is continue weight training and cross training. Running is awesome. I love it. I don't want to ever stop running. But if I only ran, I would not be as strong as I am now. There is so much more to healthy and strength than how many miles one logs in a week.

I am so thankful to JK-L, who changed my life when she taught me to weight train! I hope that when I am finally personal trainer (I take my test in June!!!) that I can help and inspire others to reach their goals the way JK-L helped me.

This morning, I am off to Planet Fitness for the first time since my scope. I plan to lift upper body and do whatever abs I can. Don't worry, I am not going to do anything dangerous, or something that would put my knee at risk. The last thing I want to do is hurt it or fall or something. But I currently feel pretty good and think I can do most of the upper body stuff I usually do.

I hope people don't look at me weird or anything if I don't look 100% natural walking. I really hate talking to people at the gym!


No questions, just share your thoughts!

24 comments:

  1. This has definitely made me realize I NEED to do more weight training! I keep saying that but then I push it aside for other things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You will seriously LOVE it. And it will make you faster.

      Delete
  2. Haha I don't think anyone has ever spoken to me at the gym, I guess I look unfriendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good- I bet you can get a lot done without interruptions. :)

      Delete
  3. I definitely think injuries help us learn this really important lesson! If I hadn't been out for 3 months due to ITB issues, I probably wouldn't have gotten serious about cross training which has become extremely beneficial like you said for my whole body

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is def good to look at the bright side of injuries!

      Delete
  4. I tell this to the boyfriend all of the time. I don't want people to do things for me. I like doing them on my own. I truly believe that the moment we sit down and stop doing things is the moment we get old. All of the people who have made it to 90 that I know have two things in common; they are active and they are social. I heard a lady in the locker room get out of breath while tying her shoes. I never want to be that person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Augh I know! I feel bad for people who have to really exert themselves to do things that come very easily to me.... like walking up steps or bending over, etc. But they only come easy to us because we take care of our bodies.

      Delete
  5. I'm so with you! When I'm old I hope I don't need to use a cane or walker or anything... although I would take that over a wheelchair. When my step-father had to have one of his legs amputated a couple of years ago I saw how much it affected him to be in a wheelchair. (He had some healing issues that prevented him from getting into a prosthetic fast). I know that's a completely different scenario, but it really made me appreciate my body and all the little things it does for me daily.

    I hope you had a great time at the gym today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! Hopefully we won't have to worry about wheelchairs and stuff since we try so hard to take care of ourselves. :)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you're back at the gym already! My lazy butt would still be laying on the couch eating ice cream haha. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is ice cream on the couch happening too, don't worry. ;)

      Delete
  7. (Love your blog, by the way!)

    I know exactly what you mean - I had my left ankle reconstructed in December and since I couldn't run for a few months before the surgery, I started hardcore cross training and weight training. And it was worth it! My right leg is so strong and a strong core/upper body help immensely with being on crutches.

    ...I go to the gym in my bright orange walking cast...I definitely get some weird looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome you discovered weight training! And awesome that you still go to the gym in your cast. Haterzzzz gonna hate ;)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree on strength training. I really don't feel as strong and toned as I usually do when I did this 1/2 training, and I think it was mainly because of stopping some of the volleyball stuff. I'm looking forward to getting more toned and balanced in my training. Hope the Planet Fitness outing went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to train long distances and progress in the weight room!

      Delete
  11. Love that you are feeling awesome! That is a great feeling to have after surgery! Hope your gym session went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! It was a success. Now rest tomorrow. :(

      Delete
  12. I have begun to realize that cardio by itself, not so good - I have actually ALWAYS known this, but motivating myself to do more, has been slightly hard. Yes, I do pilates too, but my instructor doesn't seem to push me hard enough, thanks to her constantly talking.... BAH! So I have stepped it up and have started lifting some weights in the gym (I almost wrote kitchen, LMFAO).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol that's awesome! You won't regret it. Weight training is the best thing I could have done for myself.

      Delete
  13. I spend 90% of my time in the gym talking to other people... sigh. Haha

    YES for being strong! I want to be a totally beastly grandma one day :)

    ReplyDelete