A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

A Day In My Life

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This Day in My Life is from yesterday. I had a personal day on a rainy Monday. It certainly did not turn into the kind of day I expected...

Thankfully, I got a wonderful night of sleep. I would have slept longer if it wasn't for the road work going on just outside my window...

The kitty cats have been sleeping with me every night. I've been so busy lately and they are lonely and miss me. I'm glad we have cuddle time at night and in the morning!


I poured my coffee and relaxed a bit before all the craziness of my day started. I had to take Jelly to the groomer at 11. He had some mattes in his coat for awhile and they were not going to come out without some professional help. I knew going to the groomer would be very stressful for Jelly, but I it was time.

Jelly cried the whole way to the groomer. Look how cute he is in his little case...


Once we got to the groomer he was silent. I knew he was scared. It was so loud in there and the cat groomer took a  look at him in a room that had three dogs in it, one who was barking. I was immediately unhappy. I did not like that Jelly was in a room with other animals. He was probably TERRIFIED.

Alas, I left him there and told myself while he would be scared the whole time, he would come home and soon forget about it. 

Next, I headed over to my SIL's house to borrow her vacuum so I could clean my house. You see, the $400 Miele vacuum we bought 16 months ago died. I was using it a week ago and it had a burning smell for awhile and then the motor died. I knew the motor was under warranty, so I took it to a place that services Miele vacuums in hopes they could diagnose the problem.

On my way home from my SIL's I got a call from the vacuum place. They had diagnosed the problem. Apparently, the last time the bag was thrown out and replaced (not by me, I don't even know how to change the bags) the bracket that holds the bag in place was thrown out as well. All the dirt was going into the motor, which fried the motor. This was NOT covered by the 7 year warranty and was going to cost $260 to replace.

I told the man on the phone I would need to call him back. I hung up and started bawling. WTF was I supposed to do?? A $400 vacuum I only had for 16 months and was supposed to last for like 20 years was going to cost a fortune to fix because of user error. What a freaking waste of money. Do I pay the money or buy I new vacuum? I was enraged, sad and my day immediately went to shit. Honestly, I was glad I wasn't at work because I wouldn't have been able to function.

Soon after I got home, I got a call that Jelly was ready to be picked up. I was relieved because I had a therapy appointment in an hour and wanted to get Jelly home before I went to that. When I showed up at the groomer, they told me they only took cash or check, neither of which I had. I immediately started crying (I was emotional at this point.) and told them I'd be back with the money. They felt bad for me and told me to take Jelly home and send a check in the mail. I told them I had an appointment and that I would stop by later in the day with the check.

Look at this stupid bow they put around Jelly's neck.
I took it off as soon as we got in the car. 
I knew he hated it.

I was so relieved to get Jelly home and honestly so relieved to have a therapy session right after. Perfect timing, don't you think?

After therapy I dropped the check off at the groomer and then I went to visit Bree! Okay, the day was getting better! We chatted for awhile. Look at her beautiful dog, Ursa!


Since it was raining all day, my plan was to go to the gym and have a very fast, angry run on the treadmill. But for some reason, when I left Bree's house, I discovered it had stopped raining and the sun was coming out. I decided to do a neighborhood run.

My legs felt super fresh. I was fueled by anger about the vacuum cleaner, no doubt. I pushed the pace the entire run and did not look at my watch at ALL until I hit 6 miles. I made it 6.2 just so I could call it a 10k. I ended up running the exact pace of my 10k PR from several year ago. It's amazing what a little anger can do...




The fun and games were over. It was time to clean my house. It took a long time because I was very thorough. I even vacuumed my car.

Honestly, I was physically and emotionally drained by the end of the day. Around 8 o'clock I poured a glass of wine and started writing this blog post. I'm going to make some dinner and go to bed, so I'm signing off now!

I'm going to be busy the next couple days, so I won't be blogging. Don't worry, I will catch up with you soon. Thanks for reading!
What should I do about the vacuum cleaner?

Send me links for recs if you think I should buy something specific.

I have hardwood floors and the main things I suck up are cat hair and litter.

14 comments:

  1. Girl, that sounds like a day. Little things piling up can be the worst. I hope today is 10X better for you!

    I would probably pay to fix the vacuum in the end, because if it truly is supposed to last 20 years the cost per use of even $600 would make it worth it in the long run. But it would make me mad to pay to fix it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend.

      I see your point about the vacuum. BUT I am reading about all these vacuums with no cords and are really light weight. My Miele has a cord and a canister. I am starting to wonder if I should have even bought it in the first place.

      Delete
  2. Ugh. Sorry about the vacuum cleaner. How frustrating. About three weeks ago, the job site Rick is working at got broken into and one of his machines was stolen. It's like a punch in the gut when you realize you have to fork over money to fix or replace something that wasn't your fault! I'm glad you had a good run, though! Your running is on point these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that happened to Rick. I'm sure his machinery costs way more than my vacuum cleaner. Life is not fair!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I would have been right there with the tears!

    Glad Jelly was able to get his coat taken care of (but he is adorable in the carrier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia! I think he looks cute AND pathetic hehehehe

      Delete
  4. How did you vacuum your car if yours was broken? I assume you have a var vacuum?
    I would recommend getting a Dyson. We have 3 and we love them. We have one actual vacuum and 2 portable ones. Since you have mostly hardwood floors I would recommend the portable ones cus they have all different attachments and one is for hard floors. Also there is never any bag to replace. Dyson's are good quality and should last a while. I say all this but of course I dont know what kind of vacuum you have because I have never heard of that brand. If it is the Cadillac of vacuums and you think not is worth fixing, than perhaps you should fix it. On the other hand you may be able to sell it to someone ( like on Facebook marketplace) and let them know it needs repaired. It might be worth it for someone to buy it cheap and fix it and then you would have a little money for your new vacuum. Wow, I really babbled about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vacuumed my car because I borrowed my SIL's vacuum! Selling my broken vacuum is actually a good idea. I thought of that. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Oh geez, there was some sucky stuff in your day. How frustrating! We bought a Dyson Animal and I love it! It works really well and it's great not to have bags. I think we have had ours for 13 years now. Ours still works quite well. Look for a refurbished Dyson Animal Ball. You can get them for less than $200!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look it up, thanks for the rec I appreciate it!!!

      Delete
  6. I read and once again, I'm all late in responding (I'm a MIA blogger and blog reader). I would get the vacuum fixed but I would maybe first try YouTube and ordering that part and trying to do it myself, honestly. Clay and I have done that a few times and it's saved us some repair bills.

    If you have hardwood floors, we do too... we have a Roomba that we bought from Amazon, it's a different brand and was a bit cheaper, but does a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm MIA in everything these days Amy. Do not worry.

      Delete
  7. Oh no, sorry about the vacuum! I have no idea what would be best in this situation as I've not had much luck in the vacuum department either. You're not alone! :)

    Poor kitty haha yeah it doesn't seem like he enjoyed his "spa" day but I'm sure he looks handsome now!

    You are such a fast runner. I can barely walk a 5k:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lila!!! I wish I had an answer to my vacuum problem. Is this how you know you're old, when you care about vacuums??

      Delete