A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Taper- the workouts, the food, and the pains!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hey all! Here is what I am up to TAPER WEEK! I'm sharing my workouts, my eating, my sleeping, and my taper pains! Oh, and I went to the podiatrist to figure out the weird foot thing. He did a thorough assessment and says the part of my foot that hurts... well, there's nothing there! There is nothing there that should hurt and I am free to go ahead with the race as planned. If it persists and doesn't go away on it's own, I am to follow up. But he assures me that I won't be doing any damage to run on it on Sunday. Especially since it doesn't even hurt when I run- only when I stretch my calf + dorsiflex. So that's the short story on my foot!


Workouts:

Saturday- 7 miles in my hood. The plan was to do 5-8 and stop before things went too far downhill. 7 felt good so I stopped there! I averaged an 8:08 pace rather effortlessly too, so that is good. Starting to feel like myself.

Sunday- Back @ home.


Band Asst. Wide Grip Pull Ups- 5x6
Bicycle Crunches- 4x40
Dumbbell Row- 5x10x25lb
Plank w/ Knee Tuck- 4x20
Band Asst. Neutral Grip Pull Ups- 2x8, 3x6
Stability Ball Pull Ins- 4x15
Bicep Curls- 4x10x15lb
Plank w/ Row- 4x10x10lb

Monday- 5 easy miles around the hood. A run is always a good way to start Monday morning. It was foggy, frosty, and beautiful. I felt zero niggles during my run, and averaged around an 8:25 pace, which I think is good for taper week.


Tuesday- Chest @ home. Now that I am getting more consistent with lifting, I am ready to up my weights a bit! Chest press could go up to 30lb and I think I am ready for 25lb shoulder press. I used to hit those weights but backed down a bit because I lost some strength while focusing on running.


Chest Press- 5x10x25lb
Push Ups- 5x10
Shoulder Press- 5x10x20lb
Tricep Dips- 5x15
Bicycle Crunches- 4x40
Plank w/ Knee Tuck- 4x20
Stability Ball Pull Ins- 4x15

Wednesday- 5 easy miles. This was my last run before the race! I did it after work since my podiatrist appointment was in the morning and I didn't want to run on it until I got the go ahead. I hate running at night! It was so dark an dreary, but the Christmas lights made it seemed so festive. I felt strong and light during this run. My IT band did not bother me at all. I needed this run- not physically, but mentally!

Thursday-  Today I am RESTING for my race on Sunday. I will do a light upper body workout which I suppose doesn't count as complete rest, but I rested my legs.

Friday- Tomorrow I will also rest! Spoiler alert... I will be resting on Saturday as well!


Some more taper stuff....

Food: It is a typical work week for me, so I have been eating pretty normal. Cereal for breakfast, chicken, rice, and veggies for lunch, and then whatever we throw together for dinner. Paul made pasta with ground turkey so I had that with tortilla chips for dinner a couple times this week. I dip the chips in the pasta, scoop up the pasta, and eat the pasta and chip at the same time. So weird, I know! We had frozen pizza another night... I guess I am definitely not worried about eating a couple more grams of carbs than normal. I am going to need my glycogen stores on Sunday!

Sleep: Luckily I have slept well so far this week! I hope it continues. I know I won't sleep a wink on Friday night because I will be so worried about traveling! And worried about my alarm going off. I think I have to get up at like 3:30am!

Taper Pains:
Well, I got my period on Saturday, which was actually perfect because that means it will be gone before I head to Florida. IT Band feeling normal, which doesn't mean it is NORMAL feeling, just normal for me. The foot... well I explained that in my intro! I feel a little "fat" since I haven't been running as much and I have been having some yummy desserts. I know it is a horrible thing to say- that I feel "fat" when I know I am not fat, and "fat" is a horrible word to begin with. But that's the crazy part of my brain talking!

What do your taper weeks look like?

19 comments:

  1. Megan, you are doing everything right! I am so proud of you. You are probably the most realistic, sane and healthy running blogger out there and I love to follow along w/ someone that truly commits to what it takes to achieve her goals. So, you already know I don't race and I don't taper but when we travel I take a lot of rest days (and eat all the food) and by the end I feel "soft" and then when I come back I generally have the best runs & swims and really good weight training sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ENJOY your race. I know you are super nervous about travelling, leaving Paul etc. Take deeps breaths, Have fun.
    My taper weeks lately have been insanely busy, and consisted of sleeping in a hospital chair with my dad in the ICU for 2 nights, before travelling,and eating hospital food...bleh.
    This is my third day off in a row this week, and my legs are needing to stretch out and run--I imagine taper pains are a lot of those same feelings magnified because of the intensity of workouts prior and race nerves...
    Enjoy FL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl!

      Man I have been there with the sleeping in a hospital chair thing and eating hospital food. Not fun at all. :(

      Delete
  3. That's a solid taper week. You are primed for a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is good to hear that you got the OK from the doc on the foot. Hopefully the foot pain will be non-event for your race and afterwards!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I hope so. I am so careful to not get injured. I try to do my due diligence to stretch and not over train....

      Delete
  5. Oh my taper weeks look exactly like yours: weird foot issues, lots of carbs, bloaty fat feelings, the works. But it's all a part of the perfect taper for a perfect race! Excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question: so, you eat the same thing for lunch every single day? Interesting.

    My taper weeks always look just like any other week, except for less mileage. I try not to do anything out of the ordinary or mess with my routine too much. Race week I get a little more strategic: my big thing is during the 2-3 days leading up to the race, I hydrate like a boss. I drank soooo much water in the days leading up to Grandma's. I think it helped me a lot on race day.

    Good luck!! I'm so excited for you. You've been working so hard and I know you're gonna knock this one outta the park. Yaaaay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much! Always chicken, then either sweet potatoes or rice- whatever I made over the weekend. And then whatever frozen veggies I have in the fridge.

      I need to drink water! Thank you for the reminder!!

      Delete
  7. I know I am so happy about the period thing! Ugh, guys never have to worry about that for their races!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for your race!!!! Can we track you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I posted info on FB and will post it here tomorrow. But it starts at 6:45am so I don't expect anyone to be up at that hour!!

      Delete
    2. hmm, I think I am ahead of that time by an hour or so...I'll probably be up. ;)

      Delete
    3. Really I didn't know you were ahead of us!

      Delete
  9. Keep yourself hydrated this weekend, especially because you're flying!! I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted. I worry about having to pee but I guess I can pee on planes.

      Delete