A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, December 11, 2015

Off I Go, My Race Plan, & Athlete Tracking

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tomorrow, I leave for Florida to run the Best Damn Race!

The first part of this post is to warn you... I don't have a smart phone and I don't know how much I will be on my lap top this weekend. I will basically be MIA during the time I am in Florida. If you want to get a hold of me, you will have to text or call! But I only answer my phone if it's my mom or grandma, so your best bet is to text.

So there's my warning! The second part of this post is to let you in on my race plan.

I decided to wear my hydration pack so I don't have to slow down at water stops. I am not good at running and drinking from a cup anyway. I have done almost all of my long runs at home without water, but since it will be warmer in Florida, I figure I better not be ill prepared on the hydration front.

Speaking of the heat, that is the major thing that will dictate my race plan. I am going to do the best I can with the weather provided. I hope it is not so hot and humid that it affects my performance, but if it is, I have to accept that. I don't want this to sound like I am giving up or anything, I just am aware that the heat is something that is out of my control. Besides my hydration pack, I plan to wear sunscreen, sunglasses, and light colored clothes.

My plan for this race is to run the race I trained for. I trained to run between a 7:10-7:20 pace. I trained to allow myself to dip below a 7:10 if I do so naturally after my legs warm up a bit and I get into a groove. I trained to not STARE at my Garmin the entire time and not freak out if my first 3 miles are all over the place... since they usually are! 

The bottom line is that ideally I want to run the race I trained my body to run. Hopefully, that is what happens, but as we all know, ANYTHING can throw a wrench into race day!

Since my best 13.1 training run a couple weeks ago clocked in at 1:35:57, my goal is to hit below that! I'd feel like a MILLION BUCKS if I could do a 1:34:XX on Sunday. That would be a 7:14 average pace. I feel like I am well trained and can do that if I have a good day, but that is definitely at the top of my threshold, so that's my "A" goal. My "B" goal is anything else!


Last but not least, if you want to track me on Sunday, here is the information to do so. Warning: The event starts at 6:45, sooooo.... if you are a sane person you won't be up that early! But here is the info anyway:

BDR Half Marathon ATHLETE TRACKING
We have two ways your friends and family can follow you on race day:
Live Results are found at this link and are updated as you run: http://endurancesportstiming.com/best-damn-race-cape-coral-fl/
If they want to sign up for text or email udpates they can do the follwing:
Step 2: Type in Name of participant they want to follow (your name)
Step 3: Click on “Result Notifications” of that person and sign up with text or email. 
Timing mats will be located at the following points:
Half Marathon: Start Line, 10k, Finish Line

23 comments:

  1. Good Luck Meg! I will be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this weekend is finally here! Whoo!

    Great idea to bring the hydration vest if you don't mind it too much. I hate wearing mine so I usually bring hard candy to suck on between aid stations. I guess it doesn't help with hydration so much but it stops my mouth from being dry! hah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think it will be good to have and if I change my mind then I will leave it in the. I do like feeling "light" without it.

      Delete
  3. I am so very proud of you and you continue to inspire me each and every day. I think you have already met your goal by going out of your comfort zone and traveling solo to a race and putting your goals out there (which I know you hate). You are a winner, Megan! I will be following along w/ you on Sunday and remember, I am just a text away if you need any support. Go kick butt, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I HATE saying my goals out loud! :) Thanks so much for your support and motivation, Susan! :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck!! I know that temperature would feel a bit warm for us Northerners right now, so good that you have planned to make accommodations in your racing plan. It should be a fun race, so enjoy!! Hope you have safe and enjoyable travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD LUCK Meg!!! You've trained so hard, you got this! Right now I can't even run a mile at the pace you want to run 13.1, so I'm already impressed! Fingers crossed that the heat doesn't affect you! LOL you will probably be long done by the time I even wake up but I'm excited to check the results to see how you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hope you get to sleep in and that I am done before you wake up! :) Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  6. Go get it, Meg! I can't WAIT to see how you do! So excited. You are ready for this. YOU CAN DOOOOOO ITTTTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has actually been pretty cool in the mornings, under 70 and not much humidity right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw thank you Karen I will run a mile for you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!! I have high confidence that you can reach your A goal! GOOD LUCK AND KICK BUTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!! I will be up at that time, so I will be stalking you:) Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Race weekend is ACTUALLY HERE OMG. :)

    ReplyDelete