A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Half Marathon Training: Last Long Run and Taper Plan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Race day is just eleven days away. How did this happen!? I am getting nervous. Not just to race but to fly (I AM SO SCARED OF FLYING) and travel by myself. But I'll get to all that in a different post. Today, I want to tell you about my last long run of my training and how I plan to taper going forward.

I was feeling at the top of my game last weekend when I had a successful race pace run and unintentionally PR'ed. I wish that had been race day! I recovered well after and did speed work 5 days later. 

For some reason, I do not feel recovered from speed work! Even though I have been resting and running really easy, it does not feel good. I lost my mojo, and I am feeling all kinds of little niggles...

At some point over the long weekend I was to do 10 easy miles, which would be my last long run of training. I pushed it all the way off until MONDAY. (We have off for the first day of deer season.) But when Monday rolled around, I just did NOT feel like running. I wanted to want to run. (Haha does that sentence make sense!?)  

Paul's mom was taking him to treatment so I was free to venture anywhere I wanted to instead of being bound to my neighborhood like normal. I drove about 30 minutes to the Conewago Rail Trail. I thought it would be nice to do an out and back. Part of the reason I drove so far was that it would force me to do the run. I would never drive the whole way there and then not run. Plus, doing an out and back would prevent me from bailing at mile 7, like I did on Saturday.

It's official, I am in a running funk.

I felt nervous the first two miles. There was no one else on the trail and that made me uncomfortable. I used to not be afraid to run by myself on the trail, but sticking to my neighborhood for so long made this run a little bit scary to me!


Obviously the scenery was beautiful. I zoned out to my podcast and got myself into a rhythm. When I got to the county line, I turned around.



Even though there were "No Hunting" signs everywhere, I had on my reflective gear. I don't really trust people...


Around mile 7, my IT band started to feel really tight. It was strange because normally my knee/IT band feel strong during my run and if I feel it, it's not until later in the night. It bothered me on Saturday too. Is this going to be a THING now!?




Boy was I happy to be done. I stretched a lot that evening and also foam rolled. I hoped my IT band would feel better the next day.

Of course I had to test it out on Tuesday morning. I went for a 5 miler and I definitely started to feel it. Not as bad as the day before, but it was there. So because of this ANNOYING PROBLEM, I am definitely resting my legs these next two days. I will lift upper body today and Thursday, then see how my legs feel on Friday.

As for Saturday through Race day... well my taper plan will depend on the IT Band situation! If it doesn't bug me on Friday, I will do Taper Plan A. If it does bug me on Friday, I will do Taper Plan B.


Plan A
Plan B
Sat.
8 miles

Sun.


Mon.
5 easy

Tues.

5 easy
Wed.
5 easy

Thurs.
 Lift Upper
Lift Upper 
Fri.
Rest
Rest
Sat.
Rest
Rest
Sun.
RACE!
RACE!

I love having a plan. Even if it's not the plan I want. A lot of those blank days will be filled in with upper body lifting, but no matter how well I feel, nothing lower body on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday!

Oh, I also wanted to tell you about a weird foot thing I suddenly have going on! When I flex my foot and bend over, it feels really tight on the right side of my heel. It feel sort of like PF, but it is not on the bottom of my heel or the bottom of my foot. Can you get PF on the side of your foot!? WTF!? Why am I falling apart? And no, these niggles are not in my head. They are legit niggles!
Do you fall apart before race day?

Any idea what my "feels like I have PF on the side of my foot when I bend over and flex" thing is?

When was the last time you were in a running funk?

25 comments:

  1. I think with some much deserved rest you will be totally fine! Nice that you have a plan A and plan B. I am in a running funk right now. I am just getting ready to head out and totally procrastinating. I have no desire to run in the cold anymore. But running inside isn't great either. So weird....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! Sometimes it is so cold but the gym is so smelly...

      Delete
  2. OMG I AM HAVING TAPER PAINS TOO!!!! I have a knot in my back that I think is messing with my gait, so I'm overcompensating on one side and last night I had to cut a run short due to sharp ankle pain!! AHH!!! I'm sure it's nothing and will pass but taper pain makes me SOOOO nervous.

    We've been in GREAT shape during training. This is mostly mental, I'm sure!! We've got this!! We just need to rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, this is helping me. All these comments are helping me! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe your half is so soon! I think you just pushed yourself hard during training and your body needs a rest before the race. Im sure having easier runs and more days off will help. I have had really random pains in my feet before and I always feel like stretching and rolling my calves help. Luckily they have never amounted to anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your race is in 11 days! OMG! Don't be nervous to travel solo - I've done it a few times and I actually really enjoy it! I feel like the pain you are feeling is your body getting ready for the taper - a taper tantrum! I am in such a running funk right now. Ever since my last marathon. I have a few weeks to get my crap together before Boston training, though! I've truly embraced the down time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are embracing the down town... well, your version of down time! :) I know you are extremely active even if you aren't running. Taper tantrum!!! Okay I will listen to the tantrum and rest!

      Delete
  5. Oh those pre-race jitters! I don't get them before a half marathon anymore, but before a marathon? Yep. You are so ready. You could not run from now until the race and still kill it. Hello, last minute half marathon? Remember the race I just did? No training? Only one long run in the last 6 weeks? As my friends say to me, "the hay is in the barn". You did the work. You got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do remember that half, you did awesome! I love that saying- the hay is in the barn. I have to agree with you. I just hope these are only taper pains and not injury. :(

      Delete
  6. I think you're getting in your head a little and just need to chill and not over think. Taper-time niggles are totally normal. I think you're going to surprise yourself in a good way on race day! That looks like a gorgeous trail, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that is the case- that it is all in my head!

      It is a pretty trail. :)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you just have a case of the taper crazies/phantom pains that arrived a little bit earlier than usual. You pushed yourself hard on a lot of your runs, and I think your body just needs a break. All the hard work you did will really help you but you also have to remember that your body needs time to adapt to it before the gains can settle in. So rest up! Just try to relax. I know that's easier said than done, but one thing that really helps me is going back through my training log to remind myself how hard I worked and that I've done everything in my power to prepare. The upside for you is that no matter how hard your race goes, you still already set a 3 minute PR so you've already won!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, this 11 day taper will definitely give my body time to charge up and be ready. Just wish the weird foot pain was not there.

      Delete
  8. I always get into a running funk right before a race. It happens every time. I'm not sure what that foot problem is. I wish I could help you! I actually think it'll work itself out before the race. I'm not saying it's in your head, I just know that for me I get all of these weird crappy pains and stuff before the race and they eventually fade out on their own. I dunno. I didn't help much at all just there, did I? Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you did help because the pain IS real lol. It is not a phantom pain and it is not in my head. My head is worried that it's going to be a bigger deal than it is but that is the unknown... hopefully it does fade on it's own!

      Delete
  9. Well dang, pains just seem to pile up when race day is lurking. I hope it all gets better because that is no fun!! Seems like I've been having my share of weird foot pains, but luckily they just go away with some good old fashion rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh another thing, I just had to come back and comment this because I was thinking about it and remembered your race plan - I love that you don't run the day(s) before races! I thought I was the only one! I don't care how many fellow runners and experts say otherwise, I just can't get on board with running the day before any race. I've run the day before races, and I've not run the day before races, and I don't really notice a difference either way. So I'm going to continue not running and not jinxing myself the day before! I love that you are my ally in this, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am steadfast to resting 2-3 days before a race I am racing. When the going gets tough during the race, what am I gonna say? "Oh if only I had run 2 miles yesterday then this wouldn't be so hard" haha NO.

      Delete
  11. My favorite running place in PA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot! Next time I will give you a shout out. :)

      Delete
  12. O yes, I am the queen of falling apart before race day..haha.

    I would be nervous to run on that trail by myself too. I am sometime frightened to run on mine by myself but it is pretty heavily traveled. Good thing your wore reflection as that trail looks heavily wooded ( and people are crazy..lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I mean, even with the no hunting signs, I have heard gunfire there from shooting ranges on private property nearby. :(

      Delete
  13. Oh Karen you are like the best pep talker in the world! Can I call you race morning!?

    ReplyDelete