A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Weekly Workout Recap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Training went well this week! I did not dread any of my midweek runs, which is good. On Friday, I really wanted to run, but I knew I needed to rest for my race pace run the next day. I am posting a lot of my mile splits this week because I am really happy that my "comfortable morning run" pace is getting a little faster thanks to the speed training! Note, there aren't many hills or inclines in my neighborhood, so I would consider these runs "flat".


Saturday- 11 miles. It was supposed to be 10, but I got locked out of the house and ran an extra mile while I waited for Paul to come back and let me into the house. Here were my splits: 8:13, 8:27, 8:18, 8:10, 8:03, 7:57, 8:35, 8:14, 8:13, 8:00, 7:53. (My last mile was my angry mile.)

Sunday- Lower body rest day. I did walk for about an hour with my friend Bree at a very leisurely pace. I was supposed to lift chest but gosh darn it, I didn't feel like it! I just wanted to lounge around in my pjs all day. Eventually I sucked it up.


Chest Press- 5x12x25lb
Donkey Kicks- 3x20
Bicycles- 4x40
Push Ups- 5x10
Fire Hydrants- 3x20
Shoulder Press- 5x10x20lb
Stability Ball Pass- 4x8
Plank- 4x45sec

Monday- I could not sleep the night before. I finally dozed off sometime after feeding the cats breakfast... at 3:02am. My alarm went off at 5:45 and I hauled my ass out of bed for my 5 miler. I wondered, "What's the point of these 5 miles if I am so tired?" I ran without looking at my Garmin at all. At the end of the run, I noticed I averaged some pretty speedy miles without trying. Maybe the lack of sleep was counteracted by the three pieces of frozen pizza I had for dinner the night before. Oh well. Glad to put the crappy/salty/greasy pizza to good use! Splits: 8:39, 8;10, 8:06. 8:01. 8:08

Tuesday- 5 more miles. (Splits: 8:29. 8:16, 8:05, 7:53, 7:43)

Wednesday- I love Wednesdays because I get to do a little bit longer of a run. I did 8 miles and it didn't suck! Sometimes it sucks... (Splits: 8:33, 8:09, 8:15, 8:16, 8:04. 8:06, 7:51, 7:36)

Thursday- 5 miles. I will admit I purposefully pushed the pace a little bit on this run. On my other runs this week, I feel like I could have carried on a conversation with someone while running. On this run, talking while running would have winded me. (Splits: 8:20, 7:58, 7:44, 7:34, 7:12)

Friday- Lower body rest day! Big race pace run on Saturday morning. I'M SCARED!!!! I lifted chest and back in the morning. I realized if I am only lifting twice a week I should try to hit all muscle groups. I would like to start lifting more often, but it is hard to focus on getting better at running and a 4 day a week lifting routine like I used to do! Lifting is going to take somewhat of a back burner right now while I train for my half. 



Bicycles- 3x40
Asst. Wide Grip Pull Ups- 4x15
Donkey Kicks- 3x20
Chest Press- 4x12x25lb
Row- 4x12x20lb
Fire Hydrants- 3x20
Push Ups- 3x10
Kick Backs- 3x20
Shoulder Press- 4x10x25lb
Ball Pass- 4x8
Band Asst. Neutral Grip Pull Ups- 4x6
Do you get scared for race pace runs?

Ever have to cut back on other fitness activities you love because you need to put more of a focus on running?

11 comments:

  1. I am always, always scared of race pace runs. Every single time I tell myself, "today I have decided to NOT do a race pace run. I'll get back to it next week." And then after my warmup mile I say, "okay, I can do one race pace mile and then I will call it a day." Of course after one mile at race pace my legs are prepped and then I'm able to get the rest of the miles in, but I always play this bargaining game with myself!

    I hope that your race pace run goes perfectly this morning!! :)

    Weight lifting always ends up taking a back seat to my running when I start a training cycle. I still get in the days but I don't go for gains, which Adam finds incredibly frustrating. It's just so hard to balance trying to make progress in both areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can't make gains, I am falling BACK actually! I used to row 25lb, now down to 20. I could do 22.5 but I don't have them. Oh well. Tis the life of a well rounded athlete, I suppose??

      I do the EXACT SAME bargaining game! I am sure I will be laughing under my breath during my run today as I bargain and think of you!

      Hope you had a nice beach run this morning! You sure were up early! I guess you are still trying to beat the humidity. It is 40 degrees right now so I want to wait a little while longer until I get out on the road!

      Delete
  2. Weight training, cross training...they always take a back seat to my running. To the point that I think it is detrimental. As I get older I really can see where strength training is important. I tell myself what I do every time, "next cycle"...
    I don't get nervous about pace runs, I get nervous about track workouts, and probably the long runs above 16 miles--I think the "dread" is really anxiety!
    Great job on your workouts! Kudos to you for getting out there in the cold and dark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Track/speed scares me too! It's good we get ourselves out of our comfort zone once in awhile though. I once had a coach tell me, "Anyone can run and feel good" lol. It makes me laugh because that is like THE POINT of running for me. But I guess if we want to be better, some runs have to feel uncomfortable. Ooh I think you just inspired another blog post!

      Delete
  3. Wow--that is such a great week of running, Megan! Truth be told, I get a little nervous before every run because I am such an injury prone person. I always try to lift 3x per week but swimming takes a back seat to running in the summer. The weather is just so nice so I end up running an extra day and only swimming one day. But swimming is my loyal friend and always there to give me the best workout when I come back to it more each winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I swam! That is the one thing that I think would REALLY balance out my workouts. A weekly swim.][[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[-p0[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
      ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]\[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

      Delete
    2. Omg I went to the bathroom mid comment and Jelly just finished my comment for me! I am leaving it because it is so darn cute!!! Anyway, I know I make excuses but for me to swim I would have to join the Y or LA Fitness and it would be an extra $50 a month just for me to swim... once a week?

      Delete
    3. LOL--I was like...wow, she is really showing how much she wishes she swam. I am glad Jelly was able to comment, too. I think over $12 a swim is a bit much, too. Luckily my rec center does a punch pass so I can swim for $4.50 which (for me) is worth it because I love it so much and so does my body. I also use a punch when I gotta have the indoor track because it's too icy (not ready for that....). How was your run today???

      Delete
    4. See you live in Colorado where they VALUE health and physical fitness!!!! :) It is a lifestyle there. Here in Central PA... it is an anomaly not to be overweight and unhealthy!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that comment threw me for a minute! Glad to hear it was Jelly weighing in.

    Looks like a good week for you. I don't get nervous for RP runs, but long runs really make me nervous. I don't know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done anything truly long in quite a long time. I know I will be nervous when that day arrives! Maybe you get nervous because you know the long run is so important in marathon training so of course we want them to go well!

      Delete