A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Half Marathon Training!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



I'M GONNA DO IT! I'm going to go for a PR at the Best Damn Race in Florida on December 13, 2015!

I want to run a sub 1:38, which means a 7:23 pace or faster.

I think I can do it. But if I fail, I fail. I would be stupid not to try.

On Saturday, I had my first official run of training. I wasn't feeling that great. I had developed a runny nose, sinus pressure, and a bit of a headache that just would not go away. I set my goals low. I wanted to do 2 warm up miles, 5 miles @ 7:10 (ish) pace, and then 3 cool down miles. If I was feeling well, I would up the 5 miles to 6 miles... maybe 7. I wanted to see how I felt.

I fueled up with some Crunchy Raisin Bran, slapped on a NEW pair of running shoes, and hit the streets. The temperature was perfect. It actually seemed a little warmer due to how bright and sunny it was.



The first 2 miles went well. My head was feeling cloudy from being sick, so I thought I would just stick to 5 miles for my workout.

My speedy miles started and almost immediately my big toes went numb! I must not have tied my new running shoes correctly. I always struggle with getting them tied right. But once they are broken in, it seems like they always have the correct tension in the correct spots. I had to make an effort to wiggle my toes every now and then so they would wake up.

Around mile 4.5, I decided to go for 6 speedy miles. My chest felt fluttery (due to being sick) but I pushed on. Around mile 5.5, when things were really getting tough, I thought to myself: "This is supposed to be tough!" If things are just starting to feel tough then consider yourself lucky and run another freaking mile. You can do anything for 7 more minutes." And so I sucked it up and finished 7 speedy miles. At one point, my tummy started to feel yucky... I could taste the raisin bran I had for breakfast. Mental Note: Need to stick to Frosted Mini Wheats!

I cooled down with 1 mile around my block, which clocked in @ 7:49.

You'll never guess what my overall pace was...



Obviously, armed with this information, I'd be stupid not to go for a PR in December! As I was cooling down, I was thinking about what my training plan should be. I will share that with you Thursday!

After my workout on Saturday I was wrecked! I knew I had blown my chance to kick my sickness, but it was worth it. I had no appetite so when I got home I showered and then stretched for 20 minutes. I put my compression socks on like a good little girl. It was really hard to do. My arms were even tired and I just had no energy to squeeze my legs into those suckers. It didn't help that I had taken a chunk of skin off my ankle when I was shaving last week and a kid at school had kicked it open on Thursday. Not on purpose. I was just walking through all the rows of student desks and a little girl kicked her foot out and BAM, pain, blood. So yeah cuts + compression socks are a tricky little thing.

What are you able to eat before speed work?
Do long runs or speed work make your arms tired?
Teachers: Do you get kicked and stepped at work!?

22 comments:

  1. I can eat an egg on a piece of ezekiel bread toast (dry). It is gross, and yes, I gag. I can't handle anything sweet, and I can't stand eggs...I gagged it down this am in preparation (I can be dramatic like that). I actually don't feel like eating any food until around 11am, so speed work and long runs are the only breakfast days for me.
    My arms get really tired during speed work!
    Great job on the 10 miles--you can break your PR for the half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl!

      Yah my arms were wrecked, it's kind of funny. I guess we are carrying some tension?

      Your egg/bread concoction does sound gross. (I wouldn't have told you that unless you admitted to it yourself!) I can just picture burping up the yolk taste later on during the run!

      Delete
    2. Ahhh you guys, that's my favorite breakfast combo! I eat it for breakfast every single morning, unless I'm going for a run. I only skip it on days I'm running because eggs don't always sit well in my stomach. I guess I don't use Ezekiel bread though, I use Udi's Whole Grain bread. The consistency is still weird because it's gluten free, but mmmm! YUM!

      Great job on the 10 miles - you are going to PR the heck out of BDR! I think you're going to blow your goal time out of the water, and then we will celebrate with Meganades!

      Delete
    3. We will have to let Ali in on what Meganades are hehehe!!!

      Is Ezekial bread gluten free? I just eat Aldi bread, but then again, I have a gluten free intolerance hahaha. No seriously, I had gluten free mac and cheese once and it made me so sick!

      Delete
    4. Ezekial bread isn't gluten free. I wish I had a gluten free intolerance because it's still really expensive to be gluten free. You don't want to know what I pay for a tiny loaf of Udi's with it's little baby sized slices >:(

      I think Ali will like Meganades - we'll have a lot to celebrate that day!

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the 10 miles! I'm sure you can definitely PR in the half!

    I will tell you something I wish someone had told me before my marathon: have time goals, but don't get too emotionally invested in them. Don't put a ton of pressure on yourself in training and read too much into every single workout. Trust me, it's not worth the stress. If you PR - yippee!! If not, you still did a GREAT job and should be proud of yourself. The best goal to have for any race is to try your hardest out there and be proud of whatever that gets you. You've come too far and worked too hard to judge this race on whether the numbers on the clock match the expectations you had in your head. The fact that you can run this race at all and be optimistic about a PR after all you've been through this year already says a lot.

    Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good points Hanna, thank you for pointing out another perspective! Obviously I will be very disappointed if it doesn't work out BUT there will hopefully always be a next time.

      Delete
  3. I think you are going to do amazing! You have come so far from a knee and hip injury to running faster than ever. Keep it up and just go and have FUN. I don't do speed work or long runs but I always eat a scrambled egg on a tortilla and a side of fruit + coffee w/ almond milk. I am glad I have a tummy that can handle workouts right after I eat because not eating is not an option (I wake up so ready for breakfast).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good your belly lets you do that! Do you have an early dinner and not snack at night- is that why you are hungry in the morning? I always snack at night so I am never hungry first thing. :(

      Delete
    2. We eat around 5:30 pm and I have a snack after dinner. So my belly gets no food from about 6:30 pm until 4:00 am and that is long enough for me :) Fasting for blood draws about kills me (#dramatic)

      Delete
  4. You can do it Meg! I know you can! I have Greek yogurt, half of some kind of bar or even nothing before speedwork. It all works. No upper body fatigue here but I know it's quite common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm a bar would taste good to me too as long as it was the right kind!

      Delete
  5. WOOT! Yes. You would be stupid not to try. ;) You amaze me. You're definitely my fastest friend and I love hearing about your screaming pace. I live vicariously through you. Haha! 7:49 cooldown? Good god, 7:49 is my "I might barf" pace. You're going to kill it in this half. I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm replying to my own comment.

      Seriously try Picky Bars. I sound like a rep, but they are fantastic! I don't know how available they are there, but I could send you some. :) They're real food. They don't taste like fake chocolate and processed things.

      Also, I got such bad upper body fatigue during my marathon that I am starting a weight program. I literally do nothing. I run. That's it. I don't even do abs of any sort. I am a bad runner. That is what I am learning from your blog. ;) My arms and shoulders and abs hurt during my marathon. Good lord did my abs ever hurt.

      That was a ramble. Sorry. Tangents! All the tangents! As far as the eye can see!

      Delete
    2. I love a good Kim tangent! I never heard of Picky Bars. Usually I am good with cereal but that raisin bran stuff was too sugary or something! I have had Cheerios before a workout too and they seem to work.

      I hope adding weight training helps your arms not get tired! Although I weight train and mine still get tired! I think I am carrying some tension haha.

      7:49 is only my cool down pace after running FAST. I don't even run a 7:49 as a "normal" pace in the morning. More like 8:10-8:35!

      Delete
  6. After a really hard run, especially on hills, my arms DO hurt! I use them to pull me along haha.

    I don't get kicked or stepped on at work. Maybe because they're bigger kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. And I think that is a good thing because I get pretty beat up from just the tiny ones!!

      Delete
  7. Whoa, fantastic run Meg! I have no doubt that you will PR. :) I hope you feel better. If you have what I had I suggest tons of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and I have the exact same half marathon PR (1:38). My goal in 2016 is to run a sub-1:38 half marathon as well. I think it’s great that you are setting the bar high and are going for it!!! It will provide a whole other level of motivation as you train and prepare.

    I always eat a banana and peanut butter before doing speed work (or most of my runs for that matter).

    Happy Training!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool we have the same PR! I am sure in 2016 you can crush that!

      Delete