A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Anyone can run and feel good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I never had an "official" running coach, but back in the summer of 2008, I had Coach Mike. 

I met Coach Mike when I first got into distance running. My mother-in-law had a lot of Team in Training buddies (including Coach Mike) who continued to run together even after their season with TnT was over. Luckily, my MIL introduced me to these awesome people and I made some wonderful running friends- many who turned into "normal" friends too!

But let's get back to the summer of 2008! Coach Mike was organizing weekly speed workouts at the track. Anyone could come and it was free. Many of us had the goal of BQ'ing in the fall, so speed training was key! This type of workout was completely new to me.

400s, 800s... whatever Coach Mike told us to do, we did it. We timed each other. We cheered each other on. It was a very special time with special people.

There is one thing Coach Mike said to me that I will always remember. He was explaining to us how to know how hard to push on the speed intervals. "Anyone can run and feel good," he said. 

That flippant little sentence really resonated with me and stuck with me all of these years. One of the main reasons I run is because it feels so good! But Coach Mike's point was that if we want to get better, sometimes running is going to be uncomfortable. It's human nature to want to stop doing something that is uncomfortable, but pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is important if you want to improve.

Even now, I often think of Coach Mike when I am doing speed work or a race pace run. When it gets uncomfortable and I want to stop, I think of what he said and it motivates me to finish my workout strong!
Are there any words of wisdom that have stuck in your head?

20 comments:

  1. I love this! I think you have totally proven that the uncomfortable runs result in great times! Look at you this training cycle. You are amazing!

    I have a different perspective as accidents and injuries have led to a body that can still enjoy running IF I keep it within a certain number of miles and days (and even speed). The longer and faster I go, the more I know I will break down. This was pretty hard on my ego a few years back and Rick told me "are you out there having fun?" I agreed that it was. And he said "having fun is all that matters". Having fun (and of course staying injury free) is my goal. I have to tell myself: it does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.

    I live vicariously thru you w/ speed + distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I totally am with you that it has just got to be fun. I understand your situation is a little different as you have a very fine line between running the amount you want to and staying injury free. You know I worry too! Today I felt some niggles and I was like. OMG I AM INJURED, but I am trying not to let it bother me. It is probably nothing. :)

      Delete
    2. It is nothing! You are STRONG my friend. You know the hard part? Pushing ourselves actually is fun, right?!? But I just have to remember not to push or I will have NO fun. Today I started back on my yoga & meditation (I slacked major this summer). This is going to be how I "push" (challenge) myself for the next few months!

      Delete
    3. My main challenge is sticking to my rest days!

      Delete
    4. As you know, I have been there. Rest is a challenge for sure but the important part of training where you make your gains as you rebuild.

      Delete
    5. You hit the nail on the head! What's the point of breaking everything down if you don't let it rebuild!?

      Delete
    6. ...but I get the mindset of hating rest. Totally do. These are only things that I have to constantly remind myself of (and I write myself encouraging notes in my day timer!)

      Delete
  2. I have a similar little mantra that I recall during speed work - "embrace the suck". Being uncomfortable can feel good and really rewarding! We just have to be willing to embrace it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a saying, I believe the woman who said it is in the "Yoga for Runners" video on the Runner's World website, "don't give it anymore energy than it needs". I try to remember this when I am anxious about being on the starting line, or starting to obsess over a "niggle" or something in the middle of a run...
    Isn't it funny how a little statement sticks with you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very calming way of thinking- I like it!

      Delete
  4. I like it! Isn't it amazing how the littlest things people say can stick with us for years and have a huge influence on our running, or lifestyle?

    Not to sound braggy, but, I've never really needed the motivation to push myself. To me, pushing myself into that uncomfortable zone IS fun, in a weird sort of way. It hurts but it's thrilling knowing that I'm getting faster and seeing paces I never thought were possible. That said, I always push myself in a very controlled way and I've sometimes wondered if I could push myself a tad harder. I'm kind of scared to push myself to the brink though - I have this weird fear that my heart is literally going to explode in my chest if I run too fast. This is probably why I avoid racing shorter distances, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, overall it is fun to push myself, but that moment when I feel a little pukey... not fun!

      I think you would puke before your heart would explode. Just stop if you puke. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Omg this is SO TRUE. I ran for years at a comfortable pace. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that the only time I ever felt uncomfy was during a race. It has only been since having Callum that I have started doing any type of speed work or tempo work, and I have improved my running economy by leaps and bounds. It's incredible! I use interval training on the treadmill to get through those dreadmill runs. It makes it go by fast. I did 10 repeats of 2 min hard running and I tacked on another 2 repeats at the end just to kick my own ass. My face was purple after I was done and I felt like the QUEEN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE a queen!!!! :)

      Knowing that you improved so much by doing speed work motivates me to keep at it!

      Delete
  6. What a great saying! Makes so much sense!

    One of my favorite blogs is Nicole's from thegirlwhoraneverywhere.com. A couple of years ago she wrote that when she was in the middle of a tough run she would visualize a race clock in front of her mind's eye that showed her goal time and she would let that visual pull her along. I now do that too! I think it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea! I have sometimes thought to myself, "If this was a race, would I quit?" Answer: NO! But now I will do the race clock visualization thing too!

      Delete
  7. I did that this weekend! I thought of how good I would feel when I was done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true, and such a good reminder! I will need to remind myself of that from now on when things get hard and I am ready to give up.

    ReplyDelete