A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Balls to the Wall!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I was texting a client the other day (who also happens to be my friend), and she mentioned that she read my post about my breakdown about my knee. She said some very caring words, and also mentioned that she knows I "like to go balls to the wall" and it must be frustrating that I can't.

Yes! That's exactly it! I haven't gone balls to the wall and had the burning feeling in my chest and legs for quite a long time. Obviously I don't need to be going balls to the wall every day, but once a week would be just perfect! Whether it was through speed training, tempo runs, or HIIT workouts, I really enjoyed pushing myself in a way that I can't right now.

I am feeling the burn in the ways that I can- through upper body strength training. The burning feeling of a good, hard sprint has been replaced by the throw uppy feeling I get every time I max out on unassisted pull ups. And I am definitely seeing improvements! Pretty soon I won't be buying my bras in the little girls section. (Not because my boobs have gotten bigger, but because my lats have been freakin' POPPING lately!) I see definition in my arms not just when I flex or when I am swole after a workout, but just doing everyday activities. It's very motivating! And just the other day I benched at the gym (with the Smith machine- I know that is easier than straight up benching but that's all Planet Fitness has) and I managed 5 reps @ 95 . I'M GETTING BEASTLY.

As much as I love lifting upper body, I wish I could lift lower body. And I wish I could sprint, do squat jumps, lunge switches, and all that crazy stuff I used to do in front of my house while my neighbors watched in confusion...

How often do you like to go "balls to the wall"?

14 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! It is the only reason I have never 100% switched over to walking. After I run, I get this feeling that no other workout gives me (and I don't even go balls to the wall, it's just it challenges me the most). When I cycle I do speed work (sometimes) and really gets my heart pounding and swimming certainly keeps me "in the zone" but it's that damn running that brings me the most joy! I have tried to give it up for months at a time and it's not horrible but whenever I can go back to it, I am SO much happier.

    I have no doubt you are going to figure all this out, Megan! And in the meantime, you continue to build such a strong body. That is only going to help you along the way!

    Keep up the great work, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Life is long... hopefully this is just a blip for me.

      Delete
  2. I just started going to boot camp and now go "Balls to the Wall" about 3 times a week. It feels great!! I know you will get your knee problems solved soon and will be going Balls to the Wall in no time. I'm sure your arm strength puts my total body strength to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boot camp sounds really fun. I can't wait to do stuff like that an zumba again!

      Delete
  3. Dang! 5 reps at 95lbs is awesome! I can do 3 reps at 80lbs but not comfortably. I have to have Adam spot me and on that last one the struggle is real. You are maximizing what you CAN do and that is really inspiring. So many others would have just given up or found another cardio related thing to do - elliptical? (bleh). I love that you've put your whole focus into strength training during this period - it's amazing! Maybe this happened so you could inspire the rest of us to do better at strength training - you're a martyr! Thanks for taking one for the team!

    ...I really hope that you are able to make some progress with your leg soon though. Your appointment is next week right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you crack me up! Anything for you guys. ;) Yes, appt. is MONDAY.

      80lbs is great!!!! Are you including the bar? Because I do 80lbs + bar which is 15 to make 90lbs.

      Delete
    2. ps. repetitive motion like elliptical has bothered it in the past so I didn't even bother trying it.

      Delete
    3. Yep I include the bar in the 80lbs!

      Oh man, even the elliptical... well that's for the best. The elliptical stinks!

      Delete
    4. I agree- the elliptical = just a calorie burner. NO enjoyment on that piece of crap. HOWEVER, I can make the arc trainer interesting. Do you know what I mean? Kind of like the elliptical but more up and down than around.

      Delete
  4. I do not go 'balls to the wall' nearly enough. I think I'm actually quite lazy when you get right down to it. The title of your post made me giggle and I have not heard that expression in a long time! I can't wait to hear about your knee on Monday!! I really hope you get some answers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya gotta say BALLS once in awhile. :) You are not lazy. It is funny what people like US consider lazy. ;)

      Delete
  5. Haha..I rarely go "balls to the wall". However, some days my workouts are like moving through sludge (luckily rarely), and feel like "balls to the walls" even though it definitely isn't! I need to vary my intensity and routine a bit more. I am very guilty of getting into a comfy routine. Also, though, I am a bit scared of hurting myself again, so I play it safe too often ;) Good luck with your appointment. I am hoping for the best news for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, going through what you went through, I don't BLAME you for playing it safe too often. I'm of the mindset right now that I'd rather be a little more cautious than I need to be than overdo it a little too much!

      Delete
  6. Stick with it Karen, those strength goals always creep up on me! And then there are days I just don't have it even if I have had it for several workouts before!

    ReplyDelete