A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, January 31, 2014

Knee Scope Update!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
I'm aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Knee scope went well! I will not know exactly what they did down there until my post op appointment on February 14th. But I'm assuming all that was going on was a plica, because if there was anything more serious, they would have given me different recovery instructions after the surgery. I know, it stinks I didn't get to talk to the doctor at all after the surgery, but you know those orthos... I bet he had 10 more surgeries to do that day. Lucky for me, I was first, so he was bright eyed and bushy-tailed!!!!

Here is the quick and dirty break down of the day, with a few notes...

4:00am - Woke up, couldn't fall back asleep.

4:30am - Got out of bed. Showered and shaved so I had nice smooth legs for the doctors and nurses! I'm nice like that.

5:30am - Arrival at Holy Spirit Hospital for check in.

6:10am - Got set up in my own private pre-op room. My nurse, Diane was so sweet. She asked me if I was a college student. Love her! Got blood taken and an IV was administered.

7:10am - The Anesthesiologist (WOW CAN I JUST TELL YOU I SPELLED THAT RIGHT ON THE FIRST TRY AND IT WAS A TOTAL GUESS?!) came in for me to sign papers that basically stated that if I die, it's not his fault. The doctor came in to chat with me a bit.

7:20am - Some operating room assistants gave me my cocktail and wheeled me to the OR. Then they put an oxygen mask on me and that's the last thing I remember!

8:10am - I woke up in a recovery room. They said the operation was about a 1/2 hour long. I chatted with the nurses in there and then they wheeled me to my post op room. My knee hurt pretty bad, so they gave me pain meds and those worked like a charm!

9:45am - Momma picked me up to take me home! The hospital made me leave in a wheelchair, which was embarrassing. (How comes it took me 10 tries to spell "embarrassing" correctly but only 1 try for anesthesiologist???) Mom swung by Rite Aid and got my prescriptions for me.

10:15am - Home!!! My Grandma and Pappy picked my mom up and drove her back to the hospital to get her car. (She had to drive me home in my car because you can't drive after anesthesia.) My family is wonderful to me!

When I got home, Paul took very good care of me! I was so excited to eat. I was starving. I had oatmeal and cereal. Unfortunately, the anesthesia made me sick to the stomach and I spent the afternoon throwing up. It was so weird, I'd get reeeeally tired and a little "loopy" feeling. Then I'd get a huge wave of nausea and had to practically run to the bathroom. I ended up falling asleep at 2:30pm and woke up at 5:30pm. My stomach felt a lot better then, so that was good!

My knee didn't feel good though. I didn't want to keep taking Vicodin because that stuff makes my stomach feel weird, makes me real tired, a little anxious, and constipates me. I broke down and took some though when the pain got pretty bad. For some reason, the Vicodin didn't even help the pain that much! In fact, I am editing this post at 2:38am because I tried sleeping, but my knee was pulsating and it just wasn't working. I just broke down and took two more pills. Maybe they will work this time?

I think one of the reasons my knee hurts is that I have been unable to properly ice it. I have quite the dressing on my knee that I'm not supposed to take off until tomorrow... yet I am supposed to ice my knee every half hour. How? The ice pack is not cold enough to go through all the dressings. I am contemplating just taking it off now. I mean, it's almost morning!

Okay I'll stop complaining. This is all so I can run and lift and jump PAIN FREE again so it is all going to be WORTH IT.

A few pics for your viewing pleasure...

I love the cute yellow hospital socks they gave me. I still have them on!

I can take the dressing off tomorrow to shower and ice.

Finally got to eat! Luckily I had an early surgery, but I can't imagine
if it wasn't until later in the day. I would have been sick hungry.

I don't know about you, but after I throw up and I start to feel better, I get
very specific cravings for food that will sit well with me. Tonight, the only
thing that sounded good to me was Arby's!!! (I never ever eat fast food so this was FUN!!!)
I ate it all, easily.

Jelly took care of me that night! That is, after I ditched the crutches. He was so
scared of them that he hid under the bed. Paul said, "Jellyyyyyyyyy it's just
mommy with metal legs!"

I am sure you are wondering about recovery time. The doctor said I should do what my knee can handle. If it hurts or aches, don't do it. I asked if I should do nothing other than walking until I see him for my post op in two weeks. He said no, that if my knee was feeling good in a few days, I could do light cardio. "Don't hop right on the treadmill!" he told me. I didn't plan to do that, but it was comforting to know that he envisioned me doing something light in less than a week, so that is a good sign!

So that was my day!! Thanks for stopping by to hear how everything went. Your messages of support and encouragement mean a lot

Tune in tomorrow... I will tell you about my pre-surgery run. Hehehe...

Have you ever had surgery? Did the anesthesia make you sick?
Are your pets scared of anything ridiculous?


  1. Wow, I'm glad your surgery went well! I've only had my tonsils removed so far. I have a pure fear of hospitals, needles, blood and such...LOL. Me = wimp!

    Take care and rest up. I love the spunky hospital socks :)

    1. Well I hope you never have to go to the hospital, but if you do, most likely everyone who is there will be so nice and caring! :) I LOVE MY SOCKS TOO!!

  2. I've had several surgeries, including 3 on broken noses in the last 9 years. Anesthesia always makes me super sick, they have to give me anti nausea pills beforehand, anti nausea meds in the iv during, and put one of those patches on my neck so I have constant anti-nausea throughout and when I get home. It's ridiculous. Glad yours went well and you'll be back in no time!!

    1. Wow how do you keep breaking your nose??? Now that I know it makes me sick, I will definitely tell them about it. I had anesthesia when I got my wisdom teeth out and had no problems, but I realize they could have used different gasses each time.

  3. I am terrified of anesthesia. I don't know why, but the thought of artificially getting put to sleep is really scary. I am so glad your surgery went well and you're on your way to being able to run again!! I am sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

    Also, I can never spell embarrassing correctly on the first try. I always forget that second r!

    1. I was really scared the first time I "went under" for my wisdom teeth, but I wasn't as scared this time. I think it was because this surgery was essential to my running... and my love of running trumped my anesthesia fear!

  4. Oh that sounds so painful, but I'm glad it went well and that you are healing now! I broke my right femur bone a few years back and had two surgeries on it. Luckily the anesthesia didn't make me sick but refused to take the pain killers in fear of getting sick.

    1. Wow I'm gad you didn't get sick! You had enough to deal with healing your femur!

  5. I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went off without a hitch! Hopefully the pain will be a lot less today and the icing will help. So awesome that you will be healing quickly and hopefully back to your favorite activities so soon!

    It looks like nurse Jelly is very good at her job :)

  6. I'm glad it went well! I hope you're up and running (literally) soon!

  7. Oh, man...what a day. I'm so glad everything went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

  8. I'm glad your surgery went well! At least you shaved your legs haha that's so considerate. I seriously wouldn't even think of that. The only surgery I've ever had is my wisdom teeth....if those even count ha. Have a great weekend!

  9. Wisdom teeth counts! I had those out a couple years ago.

  10. So glad your surgery went well! I was thinking about you! I hope you have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

    Hmm last surgery for me was Wisdom teeth too!

  11. I love your cat! I have two, but not an orange one. I had an emergency appendectomy when I was in grad school. It was so sketchy - 10 hours after my surgery they asked me if I wanted to go home, and I said, um, ok? And the two nurses working at the front desk watched me pick up my backpack and shuffle down the stairs slowly and in pain.

    I wish you a speedy recovery!

  12. Hello! Just wanted to thank you for checking out my blog last week and leaving a comment!
    I hope you are healing well! Good to hear you will be running soon!!! Very good news whenever surgery is involved!!!!

  13. I'm so glad your surgery went well and that your doctor is always envisioning you running lightly in a week! That's a good sign!
    The only surgery I ever had was getting my wisdom teeth removed. I was so nervous about getting the anesthesia. But I survived!

  14. You crack me up about the spelling. I do the same damn thing. I think I've become such a worse speller with spellcheck. Anyway, when I've had my colonoscopies they anesthesia made me queasy. But I have a vomit phobia, so I never actually got sick. The funny part with the affects of the anesthesia I didn't even care. Vicodin on the other hand made me sick. I'm surprised you could type a post on that stuff (unless it was the next day?). Hope your knee recovers soon. BTW I wrote nee instead of knee...I'm operating on like 3 hours of sleep in 3 days. I've had the WORST insomnia even with drugs. I thought running was supposed to be healthy. GRRR, I almost can't wait till this is over on Sunday so I can get back to feeling normal..I hope!

    1. I wrote most of the post while not on Vicodin and edited it right after I popped two pills so I wouldn't say I was on Vicodin while writing... although that would prob had made for a more interesting post! Maybe I could start a new series..."What I Wrote While On Vicodin Wednesdays".. or WIWWOVW for short!!!!!!! I am sorry you have insomnia!!! Not a good time to have it while in prep for your race. But I am sure just laying in bed and "resting" counts for something to your body. Hang in there!!

  15. Ooh, I hope this totally works and helps you run again!!!!