I do not know why I am qualified to give you tips. I am not a nutritionist. I am not a trainer. (But I will be soon!) I'm just a gal working to find balance in her own life. I have done a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong over the years. Things seem to go south for me when I make things too complicated.
Things don't have to be complicated. In fact, most things are simple!
So I have for you, some no nonsense, simple tips to help you with... all kinds of randomness! But just one tip for each category! Keep it simple, guys!!!
Tip #1 for Nutrition...
- Do not be tricked by misleading claims.
- Log your calories. (Not forever, just for a few days to give you information.)
I'm not going to give you tips on exactly WHAT to eat, but the main thing is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE PUTTING INTO YOUR BODY.
Tip #1 for Exercise Adherence...
- Lay out your clothes/pack your gym bag/load up your iPod the night before. Have everything ready.
- Do something you love. There are a billion effective ways to get your sweat on. You are more likely to stick to your workout if it's something you enjoy.
Those who fail to plan, plan to fail!
Tip #1 for Beginner Runners... (When I say beginner, I mean you haven't run since you were forced to run the mile in gym class.)
- Do not go from nothing to declaring "I'm going to run 3 miles this morning!" You probably won't be able to do it. It's fine. You shouldn't expect that of yourself.
- Instead, determine a set number of minutes you are going to exercise (15-20) and alternate intervals of walking and running until you have reached your goal time. (The intervals can be anything you want. Example: Walk 2 minutes, run 30 seconds.)
- Once you can do walk/run intervals for 20-30 minutes, slowly decrease your walking interval and increase your running interval. Soon you will be running for 30 straight minutes. Now you're running 3 miles!!!
Set yourself up for success with goals you can reach! Not many people can go from laying on the couch to running 3 miles the next day. But most people can go from laying on the couch and walking for 15 minutes. It's a start, and you gotta start where you're at.
Tip #1 for Running Faster!...
- Tempo runs.
- Run up a hill and run back down. Repeat.
I know it sounds simple, but the only way to run faster is to practice running fast! No, it's not fun. Yes, it works.
Tip #1 for cramming in a strength training workout...
- Save the isolation exercises for another day.
Why do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of shoulder presses when you can incorporate them both into one exercise? Save time, target many muscle groups in one move!
Tip #1 for cramming in a cardio workout...
- Alternate easy-hard-easy-hard, etc. When it's supposed to be hard, go all out. The goal is to be exhausted after 20 minutes of this.
- Design your own cardio circuit, deck of cards workout, or use an online Tabata timer.
If you only have 20 minutes or so, you can get in a very effective workout by incorporating high intensity intervals.
Do you have any #1 keep it simple tips to share with us?