A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, March 10, 2017

Friday 4 (and UKES in bed!)



Hey all! I am linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 5 2.0!

Today I'm going to share 4 Fitness Trends I have tried.

I thought long and hard, but I could honestly not come up with a fifth fitness trend I tried! So instead I will share a video Paul and I recorded last night!

Sometimes when I hear the words "fitness trend" I think it insinuates that the exercise is just a passing fad and that it isn't valid or effective. I would like to clarify that the trends I am listing are valid and very effective exercises!


1. Zumba. I used to go to Zumba quite often! My favorite (and only) instructor I will take a class from is Cat Cormany. She is an awesome choreographer and is really motivating. Cat is the only instructor that makes me feel exhausted after an hour long Zumba class. I haven't been to Zumba in awhile and I really miss it. If I get my ass out of bed early enough tomorrow, I am going to take a class!

2. Spinning. Many moons ago (pre blog) I was injured and trying to run less. I joined the YMCA and started taking spin classes. HOLY MOLY is spinning hard! I missed running but there was no denying I got a really tough workout in a spin class. My dad bought us a spin bike so after I quit the YMCA, I was still able to spin. Now, spinning bothers my ITB but Paul uses the bike often.

3. HIIT. Remember when HIIT was all the rage? High Intensity Interval Training was all the rage, but I don't hear of people doing it much anymore. Or maybe they are doing it and they're just not calling it that? The more I think about it, it's probably just semantics. Aren't speed workouts basically HIIT?

My favorite way to do HIIT was with deck of cards workouts or jumping rope. Man, I haven't jumped rope in a really long time. I'm not even sure where my jump rope is...

4. Tae Bo! I used to do Tae Bo all the time in college! I had VHS tapes. Now you can find some Tae Bo videos on Youtube.

Okay, now for our video... 
UKES in bed! 
Happy Friday, friends!


Hey readers! If you have 30 seconds to spare, take this survey to let me know what you want to hear more about and less about. The survey takes 30 seconds!

Have you ever tried any of the trends I listed?
What are some fitness trends you have tried?

27 comments:

  1. I used to do Tae Bo a while back! And I loved taking kickboxing ay my gym. i was really into group fitness for a long time- up until the time when I quit the gym and started working out at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kick boxing is fun! I haven't done it in so long. I am sure if I tried Tae Bo now I'd be so sore the next day.

      Delete
  2. Aww, cute video. I sing to (and about) Baylee when I push her around on the raft in the pool!

    I can't say i've tried any of those trends except for spinning and I wasn't impressed...lol. I still read about people doing those HIIT workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally picture you singing to Baylee! Do you make up songs or do you sing songs you already know?

      Delete
    2. I totally make up songs. Although I do do a rendition of "You are my sunshine"...lol

      Delete
    3. Awwwwww :) "You are my Baylee, my only Baylee...."

      Delete
  3. One year my goal was to try a new fitness class each month. I did Zumba, Water Aerobics, Water Walking, Body Pump, Pilates, Bikram Yoga, etc. Let's just say I was a disaster in Zumba but when I attempted it again in Mexico I didn't care (maybe all the cocktails helped). I have taken spinning and for a group class I do like it (I just really don't like group fitness classes). I would like to try Barre fitness class but am afraid I wouldn't be able to walk for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One new fitness class a months is a great goal! Or just one new THING each month. That way you could maybe find something you really like.

      Delete
  4. I love that video. You two are so cute. I see a LOT of HIIT stuff on Instagram. I hadn't even heard of it before that! I used to do Tae Bo too! I'd love to take a spin class but it's hard to find child-free time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on Insta but I never go on there. Maybe that's why I don't see it! You would love spin. It is HARD. Way harder than running.

      Delete
  5. I am still doing zumba, and I'm sure Cat was trying to kill us yesterday with this one song! There was a lot of jumping and my calves were not happy!

    I love that video of you guys singing! I'm also showing that to my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did spin years ago too, but fell out when I was in college. I'd go back and get tired, and eventually gave up. They were good workouts though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried Tae Bo once but I hated it. I've done spinning and HIIT and I like those workouts. Fast and furious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HIIT and Zumba are still really popular here. I think the biggest "Trend" here lately is the OrangeTheory Fitness and heart rate "zone" HIIT style classes, though. I haven't tried those because I prefer to run and if I'm injured I obviously can't do a high impact class.

    Zumba was my favorite thing in the gym when I started going. Before I moved to Charleston I was a member of a fancy gym that had tons of classes and back in 2009ish, Zumba was much more popular. I loved the music and dancing and it was a great way to be active. I haven't done Tae Bo videos since high school, though. I did spin when I was injured a few years ago but won't do it now because it reminds me of that injury and being injured!

    Lately the only classes I really do are BodyPump, BodyFlow, and yoga. I do love those classes, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is Orange Theory Fitness? I am glad you found classes you like! Zumba... always makes me feel like Beyonce!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. I used to do Tae Bo at the University gym!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha awesome video! You guys rock. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I join cheap gyms too! But at one point when I was injured I did the YMCA and then my fav Zumba instructor does drop in classes at local skating rinks so I don't have to be a member of a gym to go to those.

    I think gyms are worth the money if you go regularly. So if I decided I was gonna take spin 3xs a week, I would totally join the Y!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to try spin! I am stupidly too scared to take a class. I recognize this is stupid but I hate the idea of going into a class not knowing what to do/what to expect. I think spin looks really fun though! Also I'm annoyed that the spin place that is near me is crazy expensive ($20/ride if you buy the discount pack). That makes it easy for me to say "oh well i'm too scared to spend $20-25 per spin!"

    Like... what happens with the shoes?! Do you lock them in? What if you fall over? Does the bike fall over with you? OMG, what a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many spin studios have intro classes where it's just for first timers. They teach you how to set up your bike and all that stuff. If you ever decide to try spin, ask if they have an intro class because I am sure you will still be nervous but probably less nervous knowing that everyone there is new as well.

      I was VERY NERVOUS to go to tap!!!!!! I didn't know anyone and they already knew a routine I did not know and I just had to try to catch up. Luckily the instructors were really nice and the people in the class were nice too. I just didn't want them to be annoyed because I was new. It didn't seem like they were.

      $20-25 per spin sounds REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!!! When I did spinning, I did it at the YMCA. It was $30 a month to join and you could take unlimited classes. I was going to spin 3xs a week. Maybe if you decide to you it you could join a Y???

      Delete
  13. I used to do Tae Bo to VHS tapes when I was in high school! What was that guy's name? Billy something?

    ReplyDelete