A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Taking stock! (ya only get one life!)


The beginning of a new year is a great time to reflect on different facets of your life to see if it is going in the right direction. They say insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... so it's always good to pause and take stock of your life. After all, you only get one!

Here are some of the things I am thinking about in regards to career, relationships, money, health, recreation, and the BIG PICTURE.

Career ~

There was a time during 2017 when I was considering getting another masters degree. I already have an M.Ed., but I figured that since I have extra time on my hands, why not get another? But then I realized that I already work... a lot. I teach at school all day and then piano lessons two nights a week. Did I really want to add classes on top of that?

I eventually realized that rather than devoting my extra time to a second master's, I should do something music related for MYSELF, like sing in a choir or audition for a musical. And the decision was made. No second Masters. At least for now. I need to do something for ME.


Relationships ~ 

Luckily, I have great relationships in my life with Paul and my family. But marriage is hard, and obviously there's always things that can be improved. (Sorry, no details on this one! Marriage is very personal!)

With my family, I want to spend more time with my nieces and nephews and I want to visit my grandparents more often. I also want to run with my dad. I did all of these things in 2017 but want to do them more.

One thing I noticed is that the older I get, the less time I spend with friends. I suppose that is normal. We're all busy, and when we're not busy, we want to stay in our pjs. Some friends have kids so it's hard to get together... It's crazy to think about how much time I spent with friends in high school and college, but now in my 30s, I barely spend any time with my friends. Can any of you relate?


Money ~ 

We spent a lot of money on our vacation this past year, which is fine with me. It was worth every penny. I want to continue spending money on EXPERIENCES. I had a lot of great experiences in 2017... Meeting Hillary Clinton with my mom, going to see the Stephen Colbert show with Paul, Crime Con with my cousin... The list is long! These experiences cost some money and I am okay with that. And of course, I'm also thankful that doing those things are in our budget.

I want to spend less money on STUFF. (Says the girl with 9 Christmas inflatables.) This continues to be a goal of mine!

I contribute to my retirement account but I could easily contribute more. There is no reason not to. I need to just make the move and double my paycheck contribution. Honestly, I could triple it if I wanted to. With it coming right out of my paycheck, I wouldn't even notice it. LEAVE ME A COMMENT AND TELL ME TO TRIPLE MY RETIREMENT CONTRIBUTION!!!!!



Health ~ 

I feel like I started out healthy in 2017, then when I went back to work in the fall, I got sick a lot- mainly colds and the sore throat/headache combination.

I continue to have problems sleeping but luckily it's not for several nights in a row. So if I have a bad night, I am sure to sleep well for the next couple nights. I'm not sure how to fix this one. It does suck on those nights where I just lay awake...

One thing I NEED to do is make an appointment with my PCP just for a general wellness exam. I haven't had one of those in awhile as I always just got to Urgent Care when I have a problem. I have to make a gyno appointment and a dentist appointment as it is that time of year again.



~ Recreation ~

2017 was a great year to indulge in the things I enjoy doing! Running, lifting, blogging, wine tasting, puzzles, coloring, ornament making... Boy, it sounds like all I do is "fun" stuff! I definitely take time for myself every single day to do something I enjoy. If it's a really busy day, then it may just be my run in the morning. But if it's a day where I come home from work and don't have piano lessons to teach, then I relax with an activity I enjoy.



~ The BIG PICTURE ~

Even though my life isn't perfect, it's going in a good direction. There's a lot that is AWESOME and the things I want to improve upon are things I am easily able to improve upon... 

So this is the weird part... In the past year, I have started to feel OLD. I feel like a different person than I was even in my early 30s. There are certain times in my life that I think back on and realize they seem like a LIFETIME ago. I often wish I still had some of the characteristics I had when I was young. I was more carefree. I had more energy. I didn't worry as much.

Obviously, there are great things about being older. I'm more confident than I was in my 20s. I have more money than I did in my 20s, thus being able to do more fun things. And honestly, getting older is better than the alternative, right!?

I'm sort of struggling with the whole getting older thing right now. 

How was your 2017 in regards to career, relationships, money, health, recreation, and the BIG PICTURE?
Do you want to change/improve anything in 2018?

23 comments:

  1. I think overall my 2017 was really good! My career started off on a not so great note since I left my first post college job after 4 months full time but moved to a company that I adore. Every year has its ups and downs as well as challenges but that's life.
    For 2018 I want to work on strength training more and honing in my budget.

    P.S Add more to your retirement account ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for having the courage to quit your job to move to a company that works better for you.

      Delete
  2. I like that you took a look back and evaluated your year. 2017 was a really good year for me personally although I've experienced a lot of heartache over things I could not control. But that's okay, I can not let how others live their life effect my own happiness.

    I will be texting you about the retirement thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, you gotta let go of things you can't control. Easier said than done, right?

      Delete
  3. I feel like I can relate to this a lot! I have felt much older over the past couple of years, and I rarely do things with friends anymore. I need to increase my retirement contribution too. You are right that its barely even noticeable when it comes right out of your check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are great things about being in your 20s and great things about 30s. It's too bad we can't feel as energetic and carefree as we did in our 20s but have the wisdom we have now!

      Delete
  4. You should definitely increase your retirement contribution since you can! I doubled my contribution at the end of last year so that this year I would be saving more.

    I feel the same about growing older. When I see Facebook memories from 7, 8, 9 years ago I'm like wow, was it really that long ago that I did that? I do think it's normal to spend less time with friends. I think you spend a lot of time with friends compared to a lot of people our age, or maybe I'm just comparing that against Adam and I who are homebodies and only spend time with our cat lol.

    Last year was one of the first times I actually *felt* my age. When Adam and I were walking around Vegas, going up and down a lot of stairs, Adam said "my knees hurt" and I had to agree. I don't remember that happening any of the other times we've been in Vegas, then again the last time I was there was when I was 29! Ah the good old 20s :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! My back hurts when I am shopping and that used to never happen!

      Delete
  5. Ive been contemplating a second masters too! I also decided no... not right now... for the same reasons. The job I have now has limited overtime, never any work on weekends, and as it is, I still feel I have no time for anything. Why add to my stress load when I could be learning to use what time I do actually have on something I enjoy?!?

    And yes. Triple it. I should also put my money where my mouth is and do the same! (Ok, double it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another thing, I would make more money with a 2nd masters but I wouldn't really see the fruits of that money until retirement, you know what I mean? Now that doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth it, but the pay off will be a long way off, so obviously it makes me less inclined to do it!

      Delete
  6. I'm always tired since I get to work early, but I've been that way for years. I can relate with worrying though. I have more responsibilities that make me worry, and the worry tends to multiply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the worries are definitely the thing that has increased with age for me. Or maybe I always worried and I don't remember!?

      Delete
  7. I love that you have taken a long hard look at everything in your life! and know where you want to go with it!

    If you are able to afford it, double it! how much does your employer match?

    I was just thinking about aging too!! I work with a lot of young women, 5 of them are under the age of 28 and they tell me they feel old!!! I also work with other women who are over the age of 50, who just laugh at us. I fall in the middle of all of them and I'm very content with the age that I am at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well this would be a different retirement account rather than what I get from PSERs. This is a 403b, which I think is the teacher's version of a 401k. So nothing is matched but it is not my only retirement money. There is money taken out of my paycheck for PSERs and stuff too. It's just nice to have extra.

      Delete
  8. I love how you recapped last year by talking about the different areas of your life! It's definitely good to assess these different areas every once in a while and be intentional with any changes (we tend to just let things continue, if we don't consciously think about these things - with that: triple your contributions if you can!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my to do list! Next week I gotta do it. Yes, I agree we keep doing the same things.

      Delete
  9. This is great how you broke it all down by areas. Educational rockstar I love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so with you on the less time with friends business! I feel like it would be true even if I didn't have the kiddo. I'm just so tired at the end of the workday sometimes that my PJs and Netflix just sound more appealing! And yes girl TRIPLE that contribution. You are an educational rockstar. And I think it's ok to pass on the second masters for now. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    Beth
    Coffee Until Cocktails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be true even if you didn't have a kid because me and a lot of my friends without kids still like just staying in after a long day at work!

      Delete
  11. Great post! Bad thing about my new job is very restrictive internet usage, so all blog reading is on my phone (not always easy to comment!). Absolutely kick up that savings. Early saving is what got me where I am today - and hello early retirement!
    You feel old - here’s me with hamstring issues, and now a shoulder pain that is limiting lots of stuff. Who would have thought the right shoulder muscles are used so much! Blah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, at least you have your phone! I hate typing on my phone so I am more likely to comment on my lap top at home or a break at work.

      Delete