A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Friday, January 5, 2018

Friday 5: All kinds of updates!




Hey all! I am linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 5 2.0!

Today, I'm going to share 5 Updates!


1. The Monday-est Tuesday.  I heard that the week between Christmas and New Year's is called a week of Sundays. Well if we just had a week of Sundays, then... Tuesday, January 2nd, was the MONDAYEST Tuesday. I was so sad and homesick when I woke up at 4:30 on Tuesday morning. It wasn't that I was lazy and didn't want to work. It's just hard to make that switch from doing whatever you want for 10 days to getting back into the swing of things. Luckily, I convinced myself to go to the gym, and after some speed work on the treadmill, I felt like myself again. Whenever I wake up feeling sad, I have to remind myself that that moment is probably the WORST I will feel that day, and as soon as I get up and get moving, I will feel better. That is the case 99.99999% of the time.

2. I have a secondary bacterial infection. Remember how I have been sick for pretty much a month and now I have some mucus-y coughing going on? Well I finally went to the doctor and I have a secondary bacterial infection. She gave me antibiotics, a flu shot, and Mucinex to help the mucus so I can sing again. I am unable to sing at all right now. I mean, I can sing but I cannot match pitch and my voice sounds like a bulldozer! I need to be able to sing soon because....

3. I got cast in the musical Godspell! That's right! After going to several auditions over the course of a month, I finally got cast in Godspell at Gettysburg Community Theater. I am so excited because Godspell is one of my favorite shows. I love the music. It's also a dance heavy show and I love to dance! Another thing I'm excited about is meeting new people! I don't know anyone else in the cast and I never performed with this theater company before. There are a lot of unknowns, which makes me anxious, but also excited. Did I mention I am excited!? The show runs for three weekends in March. It's going to be a BUSY WINTER for me.


The funny thing is, I haven't been in a show for nearly 6 years. And guess which show is the last one I performed in? GODSPELL! This will be the second show I perform twice. I was in Guys and Dolls twice. Once in high school and once in college.

4. Kindle Unlimited? I am rereading a 6 book arc from the Sweet Valley High series. It's the one that starts with A Night to Remember and ends with The Evil Twin. I own some of the books in the arc but others I don't and the library doesn't have them. I found out that I can read Kindle books on my phone, and that for just $9.99 a month, I can get Kindle Unlimited where I could read as many books as I want every month! This seems like such a good deal and too good to be true. Does anyone use this? What do you think of it? **Note: I just realized not EVERY book is included in Kindle Unlimited. So it's not like I would have every book in the world at my disposal. I am currently doing a one month free trial.

5. Tomorrow, I'm going to DNS. Every year, I run the Last Man Standing race at RB Winter State Park. This year, I'm going to DNS. The real feel is going to be -16!! I just can't imagine running 16+ miles in -16 degrees. That can't be safe, right? Oh, and then there's my bacterial infection... I'm very bummed because I love this race.

True... but I also don't want to do anything dangerous!!!!

Honestly, I have felt so crappy that I can't imagine running right now! I hate it. The new year is supposed to be a clean slate, getting lots done, and working hard. Instead I have zero energy.

Anyhoo, I hope your Friday is happier than mine!


Did you ever read Sweet Valley High?
When you have a ton of mucus, does Mucinex work?
Have you ever DNS'd due to temps?
Do you like the musical Godspell?

40 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a part in Godspell!! The music is so catchy in that show. I hope it goes well for you :) I can't imagine running in negative temperatures. I'm skipping my long run tomorrow morning and hoping I can get it in on Sunday instead. But if I can't then oh well, not much we can do about the weather. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is going to be much warmer on Sunday- like the 20s! We'll be in shorts, right??

      Delete
  2. Congrats on getting a part in one of your favorite shows! That's so exciting!

    OMG I loved the A Night to Remember - Evil Twin stories. I don't remember the details but I definitely remember reading them. I think we've talked about this before but I was obsessed with Sweet Valley, but then again I think a ton of girls in our age group probably did :). I loved all of the Sweet Valley University books too. I thought that was what college was going to be like lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, you HAVE to go to the blog called Snark Squad. They make fun of all the books we used to read as kids- including SVH. They do a recap of each book in the evil twin story arc and they are HILARIOUS. What I do is read the book, then read their recap and die laughing! They appropriately point out that Jessica was a freaking sociopath.

      Delete
  3. A secondary bacterial infection! Wow, try to take it easy and let Paul baby you for a little while!

    Congrats on Godspell!! I am so excited for you! Is this the audition that you didn't think went well? I am definitely going to come see you perform, I haven't been to a show just too watch in ages (last 2 years I've played in 3 shows each year, and I think this year I won't be playing!) We love Gettysburg, so we will make a day of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Paul has been awesome. I have to drag myself to the grocery store today because we have NO FOOD but he promised to put everything away for me. Cool I will let you know the Godspell deets closer to the time! I do know it runs the first 3 weekends in March, Fri-Sun... so lots of shows! I guess that it popular musical season.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very smart idea to skip that race tomorrow. You need to focus on getting better so you can go out and crush that musical. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! I don't feel like crushing anything yet but hopefully I will be 100% by Monday.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on Godspell! Oh man, I remember reading Sweet Valley High but never in order and just here and there. I thought they were the perfect girls with the perfect family, car, etc., etc.

    I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a blog called Snark Squad and they make fun of the SVH books. They say the twins have "the perfect size 6 asses" because you know how they always describe them in the beginning as a size 6? FUN FACT: In the UPDATED books they change things, like instead of the jeep, they drive a more modern car, etc. Well, instead of a size 6 they are now a size 4. :(

      Delete
  6. Congrats on Godspell!! That is awesome! Hope you are on the mend now. Ugh for sure!! ps, I ALMOST stayed awake to watch 2 episodes of Survivor... but I only made it through one. Still haven't made it to the finale. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! You gotta get working on that. who do you like/dislike?

      Delete
  7. Congrats again on Godspell!
    You are doing the right thing by DNS that race. I wonder how many others will do the same and I wonder if they will even refund you guys due to the dangerously cold temps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure! I was going to sign up race day so at least I didn't lose money.

      Delete
  8. I hope you get better soon! That sounds awful. So exciting about the show though! That is super cool. You certainly have a busy winter ahead, the perfect cure to the post holiday blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patrick! Yeah I am definitely going to be busy this winter. I hope it's a good busy.

      Delete
  9. I read a few of the Sweet Valley High books when I was in high school. I remember watching a few episodes of the tv show, did you ever watch it?

    Congratulations on making it on the show!!! that's amazing! I hope you feel better soon.

    I was looking at Kindle Unlimited the other day too.. I might try it out. how do you like it so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did watch the TV! I freaking loved it. I love when books are turned into movies or TV shows. Even if it's not as good as the book or if it is cheesy, I love it.

      So far I like Kindle Unlimited because it has all the SVH books I want to read. But newer books you have to pay for and aren't covered, so I'm not sure there is enough I want to read that is on there. It's nice to have a month to try it out.

      How do you read your books?

      Delete
  10. I hope all that medication helps you feel better! It's no fun feeling run down and tired all the time. Know a DNS is a tough choice (I've done it) but when it's the right choice, it's hard to argue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I kind of don't even feeling like I have a choice on this one. It just wouldn't be safe to go run for 2-3 hours in that weather. A jaunt around the neighborhood is one thing, I guess...

      Delete
  11. I am glad you got things checked out with a doctor... you don't want to ignore that bacterial infection! Also, good call on the DNS... I wouldn't run with an infection and in such cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on Godspell!!! That's great news! Hope that infection disappears soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you just made me feel a ton better about working in healthcare. There's no homesickness because I don't get that week of Sundays like you do...LOL! Some of us even work the actual holidays!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well don't worry Wendy, we all appreciate the people who have to work on holidays. At least, I certainly do!!! <3

      Delete
  14. I am sooo sorry you are still sick! For sure, no running. Your body is begging for rest in order to heal. I am sorry you will DNS but seriously you don't want this to get worse. Congratulations on getting cast in Godspell. I wish I could come watch you. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I wish you could come see it too! :) I'll post pics if allowed.

      Delete
  15. It was so hard getting back to it this week, but it helped that schools were closed here yesterday. Im still not feeling well either! My cough has lingered and Im still constantly blowing my nose. Smart move to DNS tomorrow! I don't think I will be running outside tomorrow either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a 2 hour delay Thurs (snow) then one of Friday (cold). You guys must have gotten more snow than us. Did you go to the doctor for your cough?

      Delete
  16. I hope you'll feel better soon! I'm a horrible Sunday to Monday transitioner when I haven't had extra time off. When you add holiday and vacation, ugh. Congrats on being cast in Godspell!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on Godspell and I do not blame you one bit to DNS. There was a 5K scheduled here and it was cancelled due to snow. I don't think I could run and ever thaw out after! I hope you feel better soon and the meds from the doc will help some.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmmm, I commented yesterday morning but not sure where my comment went???
    O well, I was just wondering if maybe they would cancel the race anyway cus I wonder how many runners will really come out in this weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found it in the spam folder! Thanks for drawing it to my attention. I need to check my spam folder more often because there were 2 comments in there back from Christmas, one was yours!

      Delete
    2. That's odd! I wonder if it's because I commented on my ipad? I did all the Friday 5 comments from my ipad yesterday, I wonder if any of them went through???

      Delete
    3. That's odd! I wonder if it's because I commented on my ipad? I did all the Friday 5 comments from my ipad yesterday, I wonder if any of them went through???

      Delete
  19. It sucks having to DNS the first race of the year, but it's better to be the first, than to push yourself beyond what you can do, and then have to DNS a bunch of others! (I say, having not done a lot of actual races, but this is the strategy I use with workouts and runs on my own). I came down with a nasty sinus infection following a terrible chest cough (no cold. Just cough, which was weird!), so I feel you on the wanting to be making the most of the new year. I'm making myself take it slow and PLAN. Hopefully that means when I'm back up and running (literally and figuratively), I'll be doing things more efficiently than if I'd jumped in with both feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about how it was the first race of the year. I am just sad because it is a really fun race.

      Delete