A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

A blog about my life, fitness and fun! (...and maybe a few cat pictures...)

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Am I going to offend my hair stylist?

A couple months ago, a stylist at Regis gave me a really cool, funky hair style. Let's call him "Richard". A month later I went back and Richard made the cut even more funky. I loved it! So when it was time to make a third appointment, I booked it with this same stylist.

On Friday after work, I showed up for my appointment but Richard wasn't there. It turned out that he had scheduled me for the wrong Friday. Nuts! Luckily, there was another stylist, let's call him Dan, who was able to take me.

Even though I really liked the style Richard had done, there were a couple things I wanted to change about it. Dan was awesome giving suggestions on ways to fix my cut and make it more the way I like it. (I know Richard would have been able to do this too.) Dan explained what he was doing each step of the way and gave me choices when a decision needed to be made. I really liked it!

At the end of the haircut, I already knew I wanted to book my next cut with Dan. I loved my hair exactly how it was, and next time it would be easy to go back to Dan and say "Do what you did last time" rather than explain everything he did to Richard.

When he rung me up, the haircut only cost $24! Richard's cost $34! I asked Dan why his were cheaper. He said it's because Richard has been at the company longer and he is the manager.

After hearing cuts from Dan would only be $24 I knew I'd schedule with Dan the next time.

But is Richard going to be mad? He's normally the one who answers the phone when I call to schedule. He is definitely going to wonder why I'm not scheduling with him. I know, I need to be a big girl and explain to him I liked my experience with Dan better and he's cheaper. Is there a nice way to say that?
Advice?
Have any awkward hair salon stories?

21 comments:

  1. I'm glad the switch to a new stylist resulted in a good experience! I think next time you call, only tell Richard why you're switching if he asks. He honestly might not ask! If he does, just say you enjoyed the way Dan cut it and think it will be easier to have the same result by going back to Dan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I may be reading too much into it and he may not even ask!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Maureen! "Richard" might not even ask. Actually,if he is the manager, he may even be grateful that Dan did such a great job and has gained a client.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way! You are so smart.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't worry about it... Richard might not even ask and he should be happy that you're so happy with one of his employees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have you guys to point out what I don't see. As manager, he should be happy.

      Delete
  4. I have totally been there! It is awkward, but it's ultimately what is making you happy and Richard will probably be happy that his salon is still getting your business if he is the manager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gals make good points! I didn't even think of that.

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing Richard won't ask. Things like that happen all the time, but it still feels awkward! One time I had my hair highlighted and it didn't lighten up enough (red-ish tone). The next day I called and told them I was unhappy, and wanted it fixed. I certainly didn't think it was an unreasonable request. She wanted to charge me for it again!! I did not end up paying, but that was totally awkward. :(
    I'm glad I just have super simple straight hair cut. I really dislike going to the salon! It seems like the charges are always random, and a big secret until you go to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't like the mystery of how much it will cost either! I saw Richard twice and both times it was a different price even though I got the same thing- wash, cut. Then with this new guy it was a lost cheaper so I had to ask him what was going on!

      Wow I can't believe they wanted you to pay for the color correction! I mean, it may not have been anyone's "fault" but I feel like that is just something a salon should carve into their expenses... that once in awhile they are going to have to redo someone and they are not going to be able to charge for it. Now imagine if they had not asked you to pay for that, you'd be telling people how great the salon was for correcting your hair color rather than have negative thoughts about them.

      Delete
  6. Oh man that is awkward! And actually not cool for the master stylist to TELL you she will do your hair now. She basically stole you from the other girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, “Richard” undoubtedly gets a cut or kick-back for everybody who walks through the door if he is the manager. See Dan - Richard will know he’s hiring (or managing) good people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Mar! Didn't think about the kickbacks.

      Delete
  8. This one is easy for those of us who do not have to call and ask for Dan instead of Richard. You should definitely get the haircut you want and get it done by whomever you want to do it. Having said that, I know it is hard to do. Since we move around so much, I have had my hair cut by several different stylists. I have only liked one cut but did not tell any of the stylists that I did not like what they did. Since you go there regularly, call and make your next appointment with Dan. If you want to ease into it, ask Paul to call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about having Paul call! But he would have to give my name and I think that would just make it even more awkward if Richard answered.

      I've never had a set person who did my hair except for a couple months after I got it cut really short. I saw a girl at a different salon and I liked her at first but then I went and she charged me more and she was sort of standoffish that day. So I never went back! But that was easy since it's not like I will see her again.

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If Richard is the manager/senior stylist he likely has a ton of clients!

    My stylist's name is Richard and he is the senior stylist at my salon and only takes bookings by appointment ...and he is always booked out. I bet the Richard in your scenario is in the same position. Usually they only get made into a manager/senior if they are super good and make the salon a lot of money lol. Your Richard may even be relieved that you're with Dan now since you just get a cut, when as a senior stylist I bet most of his clients get more than that allowing him to make more money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I'm sure he has plenty of clients.

      Delete
  10. At the same time, it's easy to give advice because I don't have to take it.

    If I were in your position I would probably never go back to that salon because I wouldn't want to deal with the situation :D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I would say go with the stylist that you like best, it doesn't matter if he is the one scheduling. You need to do what makes you happy, he might not even remember.

    ReplyDelete